Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that a lot of which people talk about in terms of afterlife punishment is incorrect. But, I do not wish to argue that.

What I do wish to point out is Jesus did say that those not saved with lose their souls.

Have you thought about what that means before?

It would mean no longer having an identity. No more presence of God, no more friends and family, no more jobs... no more dreams and ambitions. And complete loss of everything you had in the world.

And you know you deserve it.

I could go on, but just wanted to share my own view of the soul being destroyed, which Jesus talked about, "Fear not those who can only kill the body, but fear the one who can destroy the soul".

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe that a lot of which people talk about in terms of afterlife punishment is incorrect. But, I do not wish to argue that.

What I do wish to point out is Jesus did say that those not saved with lose their souls.

Have you thought about what that means before?

It would mean no longer having an identity. No more presence of God, no more friends and family, no more jobs... no more dreams and ambitions. And complete loss of everything you had in the world.

And you know you deserve it.

I could go on, but just wanted to share my own view of the soul being destroyed, which Jesus talked about, "Fear not those who can only kill the body, but fear the one who can destroy the soul".
I think losing our soul means deciding to live in the world instead of walking with the Lord.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think this is a figure of speech. In other places the Scripture mentions us "possessing our souls" - and I think that simply means salvation.

So to fail to possess it, or to lose it, is to lose what God has for us in the way of healing of our souls and becoming what He created us to be - persons in the image and likeness of Christ.

But I do think it's also correct to say that one who fails to be restored to God is not a true human person in the sense God created us. They will lack something, being more like elevated beasts and nothing more.

Maybe that's why it's an apt way of speaking of it.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
the spirit is the heaven of heavens.
the soul is the heavens.
the flesh is the earth.

if you are not born from above then you become shut off from the spirit and you start to shut down the soul because you drag the soul down to the lowest level of being called the flesh.

Matt 10:28 (YLT)
`And be not afraid of those killing the body, and are not able to kill the soul, but fear rather Him who is able both soul and body to destroy in gehenna.

if people can't destroy our soul then it means we are in charge of our perceptions and beliefs. obviously if we are sinners we have messed up beliefs so it's a good thing that God would destroy our soul and our flesh, because that is an adulteress relationship. it's not good that the soul be guided by the flesh since we are to be born from above and have our conversation in heaven.

the pure and innocent soul of a child of heaven, who is the greatest in heaven and thus who lives in the heaven of heavens, does not know what evil is and so they can't have any concepts that pollute those who eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

here is another description of the freedoms of spirit, soul, and body.

3 freedoms.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the spirit is the heaven of heavens.
the soul is the heavens.
the flesh is the earth.

if you are not born from above then you become shut off from the spirit and you start to shut down the soul because you drag the soul down to the lowest level of being called the flesh.

Matt 10:28 (YLT)
`And be not afraid of those killing the body, and are not able to kill the soul, but fear rather Him who is able both soul and body to destroy in gehenna.

if people can't destroy our soul then it means we are in charge of our perceptions and beliefs. obviously if we are sinners we have messed up beliefs so it's a good thing that God would destroy our soul and our flesh, because that is an adulteress relationship. it's not good that the soul be guided by the flesh since we are to be born from above and have our conversation in heaven.

the pure and innocent soul of a child of heaven, who is the greatest in heaven and thus who lives in the heaven of heavens, does not know what evil is and so they can't have any concepts that pollute those who eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

here is another description of the freedoms of spirit, soul, and body.

View attachment 223774

Very interesting! I will give this some thought.

Is this your understanding or did you get it from someone else?

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Very interesting! I will give this some thought.

Is this your understanding or did you get it from someone else?

the church has lots of stones but makes one building. the picture thing is from some swedenborg show on youtube.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Body (sarx/soma) is mysteriously combined with Soul (psyche). They are mortal and "die" and "house" the immortal SPIRIT (pneuma) which returns to God at "death" Eccl. 12

Hebrews 9:27
And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die (Body/Soul combo) once and after this comes judgment,(of eternal immortal SPIRIT)

Luke 23:46
And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said,
“Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit.(pneuma)” Having said this, He breathed His last. (Body/Soul combo bled to death.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword,
and piercing as far as the division of SOUL (psyche) and SPIRIT (pneuma),
of both joints and marrow,(Body?=sarx/soma)
and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the "heart".(center conscience?)

1 Thessalonians 5:23
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely;
and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete,
without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Body (sarx/soma) is mysteriously combined with Soul (psyche). They are mortal and "die" and "house" the immortal SPIRIT (pneuma) which returns to God at "death" Eccl. 12

Hebrews 9:27
And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die (Body/Soul combo) once and after this comes judgment,(of eternal immortal SPIRIT)

Luke 23:46
And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said,
“Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit.(pneuma)” Having said this, He breathed His last. (Body/Soul combo bled to death.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword,
and piercing as far as the division of SOUL (psyche) and SPIRIT (pneuma),
of both joints and marrow,(Body?=sarx/soma)
and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the "heart".(center conscience?)

1 Thessalonians 5:23
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely;
and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete,
without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Interesting Ron, you have really been doing your homework!

Upvote 0