What does Konko religion look like from Christian view?

endotheistguy

Jan 30, 2011
Europe
✟15,199.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I found this religion by accident when searching the web for
new religious movements. due to me too few posts I am not allowed to link?
I give it a test To be able to post links or images your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 47 posts. only three postss and then I can link sorry
so use google and link under my post please

"Konko" means golden light and "kyo" is a suffix which means religion. The name signifies Konkokyo's desire to shine a bright light on humanity with teachings of the Universe. In English, "Konkokyo" is translated as "Konko religion" or "Konko faith."
Tenchi Kane No Kami

This is the deity whose workings are felt throughout the entire universe and in the very lives of all human beings. This is the name of the deity that Konkokyo believers worship.
Tenchi Kane No Kami is the parent Kami of all humanity. This Kami's love and grace has and continues to envelope all of humanity and all other forms of life, regardless if they are dead or alive.
Although the workings of Tenchi Kane No Kami extend throughout the Universe, Kami is also fostering and watching over humanity as well as other living entities. Kami's wish is for all living things to accept and perform the role that has been allocated to them, during their lifetime and after.
It is from Japan so that explains why I had no knowledge of it.

I am not a believer or supporter or anuthing I am just curious

how it come through in the eyes of Christians reading about it.

Is it so different that you dismiss it or find it something you could

cooperate with as a kind of religious brother or sister faith?

Or too alien and odd? I kind of find it charming and interesting

but I am not a true believer Christian only being brought up

in a Christian culture and we sang psalms in school and Boyscouts

where Christian and so on.

So please share your honest take on it.

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, it echoes the messages of Paul and even Jesus in that God extends His grace to all of mankind. Considering I have no knowledge of the religion myself, it merely sounds similar. As to whether its actually the Japanese interpretation of Jesus' ministry in the world - I can't say.

Upvote 0

endotheistguy

Jan 30, 2011
Europe
✟15,199.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yes I have looked into Asatru but it seems to
not be for me. I am not good at explaining why
I fail to follow it. Could be same reason me can not
be Konko?

Are not both very "ethnic" and not universal enough?
Maybe it is difficult to be universal. As humans maybe
one are the culture one was brought up within?

I got brought up in Lutheran Christian tradition
so maybe one have a huge task if one wanted
to erase all that cultural and ethnic baggage?

If it is possible or even something good to do?

Maybe that is why you suggest Asatru because it is
the local elder faith where I live? Could one go back
even further to Mother Goddess? Or to see Earth as Mother Nature?

We are all totally dependent on her are we not?
One could place Earth as our Mother Ship Earth
that we know we are totally dependent on for to survive.

That would make it a continues religion that started
with Earth as Mother Nature and then Mother Goddess
and then now into a space age religion as Mother Ship Earth

Upvote 0
S

seeking Christ

Are not both very "ethnic" and not universal enough?
Maybe it is difficult to be universal. As humans maybe
one are the culture one was brought up within?

I got brought up in Lutheran Christian tradition
so maybe one have a huge task if one wanted
to erase all that cultural and ethnic baggage?

:thumbsup: Very valid points here, to be sure! Erasing baggage is quite difficult, and at least in Christianity is a BIG part of what we have to do. (Maybe being willing to let the Lord cleanse us is a more accurate way of saying it, but it still comes out the same)

I'll also point out that the Judeo-Christian heritage is not at ALL "universal," but is both ethnic and completely foreign to those in the west, or at least to me. You being in Sweden, that's why I mentioned Asatru; it "fits me" very well, perhaps because my ancestors are from that region. I still find deeper Truth in Christianity, but only with much learning of middle eastern culture.

Could one go back
even further to Mother Goddess? Or to see Earth as Mother Nature?

We are all totally dependent on her are we not?
One could place Earth as our Mother Ship Earth
that we know we are totally dependent on for to survive.

That's a very politically correct way of looking at things today, but I expect you know I'll say God is not pleased with that viewpoint, and wants to be acknowledged as being the superior of His creation. May I suggest that perhaps your Lutheran background includes baggage that prevents you from experiencing the Joy others have found in Christ?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The central proposition of Christianity is that God has united Himself with mankind in the Person of Jesus of Nazareth, the Christ, who having suffered under Pontius Pilate, crucified, and died, has risen from the dead victorious over the powers of sin, death, hell, and the devil; and by our union with Him, are fellow-partakers of His victory and life.

Thus from a Christian perspective, I can appreciate the concept of God as One who loves us all, and desires the best for us and of us (as I believe this as well); but without the Incarnation, it remains--at least from this Christian's vantage point--it is mostly just a very good notion.

There is much in just about every religion that I can appreciate: I like Islam's emphasis on submitting to God, the daily prayers, giving of alms. In Judaism, one of my favorite things is the idea of Tikkun Olam, repairing the world. In Buddhism, I love the ethical principles of non-violence and harmony with all creatures. In Hinduism I love the idea of the everywhere-ness of the Divine and its pervasiveness through everything. I like the cyclical celebration of seasons and reverence for nature in the various Pagan traditions.

But, at the end of the day, it's the Incarnation that is most important. That God became one of us, joined Himself to our own humanity, walked in our shoes, suffered in our sufferings, bled with our own blood, was weak in our weakness, shamed in our own shame. For me, that's everything.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
MY DEAR BROTHER,

I found this religion by accident when searching the web for new religious movements.
As to who i am--i am a 70-year-old Christian who wasted most of my life seeking for spiritual fulfillment in the wrong places. i've been involved, at one time or another with all the major religions the world has to offer and not a few of the lesser known "exotic" varieties of spiritual expression--both the sublime and the bizarre.
In hindsight, i can now see that my alleged "seeking for the truth" was, in reality, a running from the Truth, not to it. (If your interested in this phenomenon, check out the old classic poem THE HOUND OF HEAVEN by Francis Thompson which can be found at:

THE HOUND OF HEAVEN

Anyway, you post caught my attention, and i am wondering why you are forced to "search the web for new religious movements" as one would perhaps shop for the best deal on a new car or a hook-up for the upcoming weekend, or perhaps the lowest price on a certain book or CD/DVD. God has been waiting for you to jump into His arms for as long as you have been seeking Him outside of yourself at an infinite distance away, for example:

It is from Japan so that explains why I had no knowledge of it.
As Paul states and i have experienced personally, "From one man He made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and He determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek Him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though He is not far from each one of us. 'FOR IN HIM WE LIVE AND MOVE AND HAVE OUR BEING.' " (Acts 17:26-28)

I am not a believer or supporter or anuthing I am just curious
Sooooo . . . . is this just all just a fun and diverting little mind game you're playing out of boredom or do you, deep in your heart of hearts as i did for most of my life, feel the need of our Heavenly Father's Grace-filled Love?

how it come through in the eyes of Christians reading about it.
In the eyes of this particular Christian, it appears to be an average "think up your own religion and sell it to seekers"--i.e., full of pop psychology, spiritual maxims gleaned from other religions, and offering those who buy in warm fuzzy feelings in the pits of their stomachs.

Is it so different that you dismiss it or find it something you could cooperate with as a kind of religious brother or sister faith?
The thing is, as i mentioned, there are new "religions" being invented as we speak--not of them is "unique," none of them is God-breathed, and none of them is suitable for nourishing a hungry Heart.

Or too alien and odd? I kind of find it charming and interesting.
My dear brother, if all you are looking for is "charming and interesting" go for it. In my opinion, however, you would be way too easily satisfied.

So please share your honest take on it.
My take on the whole thing is that He Whom you are seeking is eagerly seeking you. You just need to bend your knees and open your eyes and all your soul's dreams will come true. May you be blessed to do so!

LOVE TO YOU IN CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0

damascusroad

2 Tim 2:15-16
Jan 6, 2013
✟7,791.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The central proposition of Christianity is that God has united Himself with mankind in the Person of Jesus of Nazareth, the Christ, who having suffered under Pontius Pilate, crucified, and died, has risen from the dead victorious over the powers of sin, death, hell, and the devil; and by our union with Him, are fellow-partakers of His victory and life.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

But, at the end of the day, it's the Incarnation that is most important. That God became one of us, joined Himself to our own humanity, walked in our shoes, suffered in our sufferings, bled with our own blood, was weak in our weakness, shamed in our own shame. For me, that's everything.

And in this one post, as edited above, we read and embrace the Truth.

:)

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I have looked a little into the Konko faith. It is a beautiful and appealing religion. It is a kind of "Sect Shinto" that emphasizes the worship of Tenchi Kame no Kami - the Spirit of Heaven and Earth, who is considered to be personal but beyond gender. Unlike in Christianity or Islam, Kami-Sama (Honored Spirit) is not considered to be completely transcendent, but interpenetrates our world and is mutually dependent with the world. The world is Kami's body, and our home too. When we die, we are united with Kami and our ancestors, and there is no concept of heaven or hell. People should have faith, pray, and live to fulfill Kami's wish, which is happiness and harmony in the world, and in that way, they receive divine blessings and they can become ikigami (a living god).

Konko churches welcome everyone, regardless of religion. It is considered by religious scholars to be "inclusive monotheism", with a panentheistic view of God.

Here is a Konko minister talking about her religion:

Here is an example of a Konkokyo prayer, from a Konko church in Japan:

I like the religion myself. Since leaving Christianity, I do feel a hole in my life, despite along practicing meditation, I miss prayer and ritual, but I simply don't believe in a Christian conceptualization of God any longer. And some of the most spiritual experiences I have had, have been in nature, and I find the Konko sentiments in their understanding of interpedance to be closer to my own understanding (in that way, Konko is very much in harmony with East Asian Buddhism).
:thumbsup: Very valid points here, to be sure! Erasing baggage is quite difficult, and at least in Christianity is a BIG part of what we have to do. (Maybe being willing to let the Lord cleanse us is a more accurate way of saying it, but it still comes out the same)

I'll also point out that the Judeo-Christian heritage is not at ALL "universal," but is both ethnic and completely foreign to those in the west, or at least to me. You being in Sweden, that's why I mentioned Asatru; it "fits me" very well, perhaps because my ancestors are from that region. I still find deeper Truth in Christianity, but only with much learning of middle eastern culture.

That's a very politically correct way of looking at things today, but I expect you know I'll say God is not pleased with that viewpoint, and wants to be acknowledged as being the superior of His creation. May I suggest that perhaps your Lutheran background includes baggage that prevents you from experiencing the Joy others have found in Christ?

Here in the US, I find the racism implicit (or explicit) in much of Nordic neo-paganism to be offputting. Some neo-pagans are also subtely homophobic. And it's not a continuously living religion like Konkokyo, which has actual churches in the US and was brought here by Japanese-Americans in the early 20th century. Konko churches are very much against racism or homophobia as contrary to their beliefs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0