Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here is the OP again Stryder;

What does keeping the Sabbath mean?
I want to know the answer to the title question.

I also want to know how this is arrived at according to Scripture.

I am sure I will have questions for the responses.

Thank you kindly for your answers.

bugkiller

I know what the OP said. He also brought up other issues besides that, which I quoted, which he stated he'd like to discuss. So you saying that He didn't say he didn't want to discuss the when/how is incorrect. He may not have stated it in the OP, but he did state it, which is why I have a problem with the idea about this thread. It isn't going to be a place to discuss the sabbath, but yet a place to bash it, yet again.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by LittleLambofJesus If it is so clear, why are there myriads of threads on that topic permeating GT and other boards on CF? ;) :angel:
For the same reason that there are hundreds of denominations all claiming to serve the same God, but teaching radically different things about Him.
For some it's pride, for others it's a lack of understanding. The clarity of truth will not make it easy to accept.
Do you follow the Jew's examples of keeping the Sabbath.
Here is the OP again Stryder;

What does keeping the Sabbath mean?

I also want to know how this is arrived at according to Scripture.

bugkiller
:)
Since it is mainly the SDA and MJ sects that keep it, I would like to especially know from them HOW they keep it.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Incorrect. Over 500 denominations keep the sabbath. I'd challenge you to look over this list and see how many in it are SDA and MJ
Sabbath Keeping Churches - Sabbath Keeping Denominations
Those are a list of churches, not Denominations :doh: ;)

Directory of Sabbath Churches Worldwide
For guidance in finding a Biblically accurate Church, you will find the web site finding the Remnant Church extremely helpful. Please do not ask us what denomination we are as we would rather you judge truth by the Word of God and not by what Church we attend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I know what the OP said. He also brought up other issues besides that, which I quoted, which he stated he'd like to discuss. So you saying that He didn't say he didn't want to discuss the when/how is incorrect. He may not have stated it in the OP, but he did state it, which is why I have a problem with the idea about this thread. It isn't going to be a place to discuss the sabbath, but yet a place to bash it, yet again.
The thread is to views facts from the scriptures rather than emotional grandstanding.
The problem is your gospel is the socalled three angels message...
You teach that Sabbath is the seal of God and sunday worship is the mark of the beast.
You teach that Adam kept sabbath with God. Where is that written?
You teach that Adam broke several commandments. Where is that written?
Of coarse you're going to get questions about what is actually written. :doh:
We're not getting answers......
suck it up.:cool:

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Stryder - you say that one needs to study scriptures to clearly see the truth of Sabbath day keeping, did you read my post above about it? I'm pretty clear using scripture on the state of Sabbath keeping. Paul says more than once that it's not a matter of what day we worship on that determines our salvation, but instead our faith in Christ. If you are saying that we must worship on the Sabbath to be saved then you are wrong. I don't have an issue with those who do worship on the Biblical Sabbath (the seventh day) but I do have an issue if individuals try to preach that we must worship on that day to be saved. Then salvation is no longer a work of grace but instead a work of the flesh. Speaking of Bible study, do one on Galatians and Hebrews... (Romans 14:6-8; Colossians 2:16-17; Revelation 1:10; Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2)

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Those are a list of churches, not Denominations

For guidance in finding a Biblically accurate Church, you will find the web site finding the Remnant Church extremely helpful. Please do not ask us what denomination we are as we would rather you judge truth by the Word of God and not by what Church we attend.

Forgive me. Usually most churches associate themselves with a denomination. Either way you can see that those aren't all SDA or MJ, and not even close. There are alot of sabbath keepers out there.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Stryder06 Incorrect. Over 500 denominations keep the sabbath. I'd challenge you to look over this list and see how many in it are SDA and MJ
Sabbath Keeping Churches - Sabbath Keeping Denominations
Those are a list of churches, not Denominations :doh: ;)

What percentage of those churches listed are SDA and Messianic Jew denominations

edit to add...just saw your post after I posted
Forgive me. Usually most churches associate themselves with a denomination. Either way you can see that those aren't all SDA or MJ, and not even close. There are alot of sabbath keepers out there.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The thread is to views facts from the scriptures rather than emotional grandstanding.
The problem is your gospel is the socalled three angels message...
You teach that Sabbath is the seal of God and sunday worship is the mark of the beast.
You teach that Adam kept sabbath with God. Where is that written?
You teach that Adam broke several commandments. Where is that written?
Of coarse you're going to get questions about what is actually written. :doh:
We're not getting answers......
suck it up.:cool:

You sir have gone to prove my point. This thread isn't about what it means to keep the sabbath. It's about what Adventists teach. The 3 angels message, mark of the beast, etc, are irrelevant to this thread so why bring them up? Were I to mention that you have no place to speak about "what the bible says" given you don't believe in a 7 day creation (as the scripture says) but a billion year process, you'd say that has nothing to do with anything wouldn't you? You disagree with our doctrine. It is what it is. But I believe firmly in it and am quite simply tired of seeing it treated as such by so many "loving" Christians.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Stryder - you say that one needs to study scriptures to clearly see the truth of Sabbath day keeping, did you read my post above about it? I'm pretty clear using scripture on the state of Sabbath keeping. Paul says more than once that it's not a matter of what day we worship on that determines our salvation, but instead our faith in Christ. If you are saying that we must worship on the Sabbath to be saved then you are wrong. I don't have an issue with those who do worship on the Biblical Sabbath (the seventh day) but I do have an issue if individuals try to preach that we must worship on that day to be saved. Then salvation is no longer a work of grace but instead a work of the flesh. Speaking of Bible study, do one on Galatians and Hebrews... (Romans 14:6-8; Colossians 2:16-17; Revelation 1:10; Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2)

I read your response and respectfully disagree. To keep it simple, there are many things Christians agree must be done to be saved. Sabbath keeping is simply something that the majority doesn't hold to, and as such, assumes mustn't be an issue. Should someone say otherwise then it suddenly becomes a work of the flesh. Interestingly enough, honoring your parents, worshiping God, forgiving, caring for the sick, etc, aren't works of the flesh, but sabbath keeping is? There are simply too many inconsistencies in that line of logic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You sir have gone to prove my point. This thread isn't about what it means to keep the sabbath. It's about what Adventists teach.....
:)
In case any here are interested, here are 2 boards where one can go to learn more about the teaching of the SDA sect. :angel:

http://www.christianforums.com/f943/
Faith Groups

http://www.christianforums.com/f569/
Progressive/Moderate Adventists A forum for Progressive/Moderate Adventists.

http://www.christianforums.com/f541/
Traditional Adventists The forum for Adventist members.

http://www.christianforums.com/t4719423-2/#post31401063
FAQs ABOUT SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST
What to expect from your Seventh-day Adventist neighbor, or, a few answers to frequently asked questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

I also wnat to know how this is arrived at according to Scripture.

bugkiller

It means "resting" in Christ. HE is our "Sabbath". He is our "Rest". There is no "rest" but in Him. The entire Bible points to Him as our "Sabbath". We are in "un-rest" no more. We find our rest in the Prince of Peace. He is our "Peace". There is no "un-rest" in the midst of "Peace". They cannot co-exist.

This just begs a study on Genesis. Especially where it is written that God "rested".

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You sir have gone to prove my point. This thread isn't about what it means to keep the sabbath. It's about what Adventists teach. The 3 angels message, mark of the beast, etc, are irrelevant to this thread so why bring them up? Were I to mention that you have no place to speak about "what the bible says" given you don't believe in a 7 day creation (as the scripture says) but a billion year process, you'd say that has nothing to do with anything wouldn't you? You disagree with our doctrine. It is what it is. But I believe firmly in it and am quite simply tired of seeing it treated as such by so many "loving" Christians.
Your point was to discuss other issues because what you believe dont line up with simple bible questions. I metioned your doctrines to expose your truths are not according to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
man up

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I read your response and respectfully disagree. To keep it simple, there are many things Christians agree must be done to be saved. Sabbath keeping is simply something that the majority doesn't hold to, and as such, assumes mustn't be an issue. Should someone say otherwise then it suddenly becomes a work of the flesh. Interestingly enough, honoring your parents, worshiping God, forgiving, caring for the sick, etc, aren't works of the flesh, but sabbath keeping is? There are simply too many inconsistencies in that line of logic.
SDA teach that you cant be saved if you dont keep the sabbath. Do you have scriptures that teach that? It's a secret to most that SDA outreach is primarily to Sunday worshippers.

Upvote 0

tzadik

Follower of the Messiah
Nov 16, 2011
Grafted into the Olive Tree
✟13,508.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Let me spin is this way...

~First Sabbath Day~
Genesis 2:2-3
2. By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.
3. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Does anyone know what it means for God to sanctify something (in this case a day)?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

~First Sabbath Day~
2. By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.
3. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Does anyone know what it means for God to sanctify something (in this case a day)?
You need to read the OP concerning keeping the sabbath. How are Christians today suppose to keep the Sabbath.

Glad to see members from the MJ sect posting. :groupray:

http://www.christianforums.com/f34/
Messianic Judaism A forum for Messianic Jews and Gentiles

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Okay well look at the commandments... honoring your parents, not lying and those commandments, specifically 5-10, are all moral laws, dealing with morality. Whereas the only law that would be considered a legalistic law would be the 4th. The first 3 have to do with your relationship with the Lord specifically, even though they are tied to all the others.

Jews would tell others if they did not keep the Sabbath they were not in the covenant relationship. The Sabbath being the 7th day. That is the very definition of legalism, I must do this and this and this in order to be saved. Refering to acts of the flesh of course.

Now the 5-10 commandments should be expected of all people to be kept. Jews and Gentiles alike. Everyone should respect their parents, not kill, steal, lie, covet, or commit adultery, would you agree? Whereas Gentiles did not keep that 7th day law. Yet Paul in Romans 2 says that when the Gentiles who did not have the Law still kept the law by how they lived, their uncircumsion (of the flesh) became circumcision (of the heart). God would count them as righteous because Abraham himself did not have the law, but he had faith in God and it was counted to Him as righteousness. Abraham did not worship God on the Sabbath day. Abraham worshiped all the time.

To say you don't agree with those who don't worship on the Sabbath is saying you place your hope of salvation on the day and not the means, and the means is Jesus and His blood. As I said, I don't have a problem with those who worship on the Sabbath, so long as they don't place their hope of eternal life in them keeping the Sabbath day, because we are not saved by works of righteousness, but only by His grace.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

~First Sabbath Day~

Your comment and question are stunts to twist the scripture. God's rest is not a sabbath.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
SDA teach that you cant be saved if you dont keep the sabbath. Do you have scriptures that teach that? It's a secret to most that SDA outreach is primarily to Sunday worshippers.

Crib, this thread isn't about what SDA teach remember, it's about what the sabbath means :cool:

Upvote 0