Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not keep the letter of the 4th commandment. I grew up in an evangelical church and was always taught Sunday was the Sabbath and to keep the Sabbath essentially looked like not working and going to church (but there was a lot of exceptions to this) As I grew older and engaged with other Christians from other backgrounds I discovered others understand the Sabbath differently and practised it differently. Over time, however, through more interactions and studying the law, it seemed as though very little actually kept the Sabbath according to the letter of the law regardless of what their traditions of the Sabbath were and everyone had compromises.

This has caused me to ask are we meant to keep the letter of the 4th commandment (because it seemed to me no one was actually keeping it) and I have eventually come to a resolve, over many years, that although striving to keep the Sabbath is a good thing the Sabbath we receive can only be found in Christ, not through a day. This has resulted in me abandoning the pursuit of keeping the letter of the 4th commandment and one of the main reasons for doing so is on top of scriptural support I think it cannot be kept according to our human limits.

I like to think the Sabbath is the riddle of the 10 commandments that appears as a forever struggle of what it takes to keep something that seems unkeepable. After all, doesn't the logic of the Sabbath go to our very breath and beating heart as work? The other 9 are like checkboxes and easy (at least to understand) and although Jesus challenges this in Mat 5 the letter of the law seems straightforward enough if we are to take it in isolation. To me, the answer to the riddle of the 4th points to Christ where he is our Sabbath rest who not only kept the expectation of the Sabbath but also kept the Nth degree where he lay to rest on the Sabbath without a beating heart and without a breath and resurrected the next day.

So I wish to have an honest discussion of what does it really take to keep the Sabbath and do we do a good job at interpreting the law into a modern-day context? It probably is a good idea to pick up a bible and read what the law actually says to see if your tradition follows it. If you make compromises or find yourself saying these parts don't apply to me I am curious to know why it is different for you and why you may think you still keep the Sabbath (if in fact, you think that)

Last edited:

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I do not keep the letter of the 4th commandment.

You have free will ... you can keep or not keep as you please.

I grew up in an evangelical church and was always taught Sunday was the Sabbath and to keep the Sabbath essentially looked like not working and going to church (but there was a lot of exceptions to this) As I grew older and engaged with other Christians from other backgrounds I discovered others understand the Sabbath differently and practised it differently. Over time, however, through more interactions and studying the law, it seemed as though very little actually kept the Sabbath according to the letter of the law regardless of what their traditions of the Sabbath were and everyone had compromises.

The letter of God's Word matters and that is how we find out about the bodily resurrection of Christ, virgin birth etc.

One could say God's Word say "do not take God's name in vain" but I do not keep the letter of that law - I do that all the time.

This has caused me to ask are we meant to keep the letter of the 4th commandment (because it seemed to me no one was actually keeping it)

Good question.

and I have eventually come to a resolve, over many years, that although striving to keep the Sabbath is a good thing the Sabbath we receive can only be found in Christ, not through a day.

So did God "make a mistake" by saying "the 7th day is the Sabbath of the LORD" Ex 20:10 .. maybe it would have been wiser for Him to say "a 7th day of your choosing is your Sabbath" or "a spiritual concept of your choosing is your Sabbath".

This has resulted in me abandoning the pursuit of keeping the letter of the 4th commandment

I would say that is a logical conclusion to the path you are choosing.

because I think it cannot be kept according to our human limits.

Romans 8:5-11 identifies a group that "do not submit to the LAW of God neither indeed CAN they"

So certainly there is such a thing.

I like to think the Sabbath is the riddle of the 10 commandments that appears as a forever struggle of what it takes to keep something that seems unkeepable.

interesting that if it is on the 7th day then someone will suggest it is "a riddle" and "unkeepable".... but if it is on week day one that we meet for a worship service then there is no "riddle".

No doubt there are a great many things that people like to think -- when it comes to various Bible topics.

To me, the answer to the riddle of the 4th points to Christ where he is our Sabbath rest who not only kept the expectation of the Sabbath but also kept the Nth degree

Certainly Christ kept all Ten ... and deleted none of them by keeping them.

So I wish to have an honest discussion of what does it really take to keep the Sabbath

good suggestion. I would like to join that discussion.

Maybe you're wanting to find a "ritual" for Sabbath keeping so it can be classed as not a moral commandment or possibly you are wanting to know if one can run a tractor on Sabbath?

Next post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
good suggestion. I would like to join that discussion.

Next post.
Excellent. I appreciate your other thoughts too but I'm not interested in jousting and they are stated to express my journey not to debate or even to defend them. take them or leave them but the question of interest still stands, what does it really take to keep the Sabbath and do we do a good job at interpreting the law into a modern-day context?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So I wish to have an honest discussion of what does it really take to keep the Sabbath
and do we do a good job at interpreting the law into a modern-day context? It probably is a good idea to pick up a bible and read what the law actually says to see if your tradition follows it.

Ex 20:8-11 a day of rest in memorial of creation week.
“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 For six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God; on it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male slave or your female slave, or your cattle, or your resident who stays with you. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

To "keep it holy" we must be born-again saved believers with the Holy Spirit in us.
Rom 8:4-13

Lev 23:3
a day of "holy convocation"
3 ‘For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a Sabbath of complete rest, a holy convocation. You shall not do any work; it is a Sabbath to the Lord in all your dwellings.

Lev 23 "from evening to evening shall you celebrate your Sabbath"
Gen 1 each day is "an evening and a morning" so it starts at sunset and ends at sunset on the 7th day.

Is 58:13 a day to refrain from secular activity/speech work etc
“If, because of the Sabbath, you restrain your foot
From doing as you wish on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a pleasure, and the holy day of the Lord honorable,
And honor it, desisting from your own ways,
From seeking your own pleasure
And speaking your own word,

Mark 2:27 "made for mankind" not mankind made for the Sabbath (speaks of the "making" of both mankind and the Sabbath in Gen 1-2:4

Is 66:23 a day for all mankind to worship God "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to bow down" for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you make compromises or find yourself saying these parts don't apply to me I am curious to know why it is different for you and why you may think you still keep the Sabbath (if in fact, you think that)

Hebrews 10:4-12 has some limits for what happens after the cross regarding animal sacrifices and offerings.

4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. 5 Therefore, when He comes into the world, He says,

“You have not desired sacrifice and offering,
But You have prepared a body for Me;
6 You have not taken pleasure in whole burnt offerings and offerings for sin.
7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come
(It is written of Me in the scroll of the book)
To do Your will, O God.’”

8 After saying above, “Sacrifices and offerings and whole burnt offerings and offerings for sin You have not desired, nor have You taken pleasure in them” (which are offered according to the Law), 9 then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will.” He takes away the first in order to establish the second. 10 By this will, we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all time.

11 Every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins; 12 but He, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, sat down at the right hand of God, 13 waiting from that time onward until His enemies are made a footstool for His feet. 14 For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ex 20:8-11 a day of rest in memorial of creation week.
“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 For six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God; on it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male slave or your female slave, or your cattle, or your resident who stays with you. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Lev 23:3
a day of "holy convocation"
3 ‘For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a Sabbath of complete rest, a holy convocation. You shall not do any work; it is a Sabbath to the Lord in all your dwellings.

Is 58:13 a day to refrain from secular activity/speech work etc
“If, because of the Sabbath, you restrain your foot
From doing as you wish on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a pleasure, and the holy day of the Lord honorable,
And honor it, desisting from your own ways,
From seeking your own pleasure
And speaking your own word,

Mark 2:27 "made for mankind" not mankind made for the Sabbath (speaks of the "making" of both mankind and the Sabbath in Gen 1-2:4

Is 66:23 a day for all mankind to worship God "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to bow down" for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth.
yes, that's that scripture. now let's apply that over to a modern context (or at least how do you apply that to a modern-day context). For example, what is the modern-day example of "working-animals" or who are our foreigners in our towns and what are we doing to prevent them from working? What are the days/hours of the Sabbath? we know what the law says because we can read it plainly but how are we interpreting these meaty portions of what it actually takes to keep the Sabbath? (or are we even bothering)

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Rom 8:
3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who are in accord with the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are in accord with the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him. 10 If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

12 So then, brothers and sisters, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh— 13 for if you are living in accord with the flesh, you are going to die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
yes, that's that scripture. now let's apply that over to a modern context (or at least how do you apply that to a modern-day context). For example, what is the modern-day example of "working-animals" or who are our foreigners in our towns and what are we doing to prevent them from working? What are the days/hours of the Sabbath? we know what the law says because we can read it plainly but how are we interpreting these meaty portions of what it actually takes to keep the Sabbath? (or are we even bothering)

I don't own any animals but if I did and I used them for farming - I would not farm with them or hire them out on Sabbath for someone else to farm with them.

Sabbath is from sunset on Friday to sundown on Saturday "from evening to evening shall you celebrate your Sabbath" Lev 23.

And Gen 1:3-2:3 has each day as "evening and morning"

In my home - we always cook our food for Sabbath on Thursday or Friday so that we only warm it up on Sabbath.

And of course walks in nature, attending worship service, Bible studies over the internet etc etc -- - ideal for Sabbath

"Stranger within your gates" is someone visiting me at my home - I would not have him doing work for me on Sabbath nor hire someone else to come in and do it. If I have a leaky faucet I don't hire a plumber who can only show up on Sabbath.

A lot (if not all) of the folks on this forum who keep the 7th day as the Sabbath are also doing this very thing as I have stated here no matter their denomination. For example -- #1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟95,699.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @DamianWarS

Great question.

Great question.

I believe it is taught clearly in the Word that the Sabbath is still for today. Not as a matter of salvation, but as of obedience. And not as matter of obedience only, but received as a preciously weekly gift from our Father. Not with a heavy reluctant heart - in such cases, one shouldn't bother keeping it.

I'm well acquainted with the the writings of Paul, as I am of Colossians 2:16 and Hebrews 4. Nevertheless, the argument is weak when especially when held in context of the the entire Bible. Even if Paul did say the Sabbath was no more (which I don't believe he did), shouldn't we be following the guidance of our Father and the Messiah first?

Of course, there is a motivation by some not accept the Sabbath, because of the initial inconvenience of working your time around it and the fear of being under the Law. Nevertheless, these same people will stand strongly against the other 10 commandments. Yet the Sabbath has more written about in the ten commandments than murder, adultery and envy etc.

But what is there to fight against? Our Creator rested on the seventh day and sanctified as a symbol between all creation and Him as a holy day, a day of rest. What a privilege! When you are told by the Creator that you must rest for a day, what a light burden that is to carry. Surely this "burden" carries you.

Like I said, no as a matter of salvation, but out of joyful obedience in loving thanksgiving. Not begrudgingly because "the Law says..." But wilfully serving Him by freely giving a day of our week over to Him. And if we're willing to die for Him, how much more living for Him.

Inevitably, some will say "We worship everyday, we give everyday to Him. Jesus is our rest and everyday is a Sabbath". But surely, during these "everyday's" they buy, they sell, they work over others, they work under others, they get lost in other thoughts, behaviours and forms of entertainment. Our great sabbath rest is still to come and is coming soon - but it is not now. If it is, it isn't my idea of a restful time.

what does it really take to keep the Sabbath

Rest. Stop from buying and selling things, don't work people and don't work either. Rest. Enjoy creation, enjoy His Word, enjoy your relationships - enjoy "being".

But didn't the Messiah work on the Sabbath? I believe He was making this point. If there is someone in need that only you have the power to help, let nothing stop you - even the Sabbath, for the Law is truly fulfilled in love. So then, I believe you may help some in need, even it it requires work (like the Messiah's) to bring them help, love or peace. But, if there is no one in need on the Sabbath, then the menu of the day is - rest, recuperate, rejoice!

Love & Shalom

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Some folks say half-seriously "I keep every day as Sabbath" meaning no-day. I respond "suppose at your job there are no holidays, no vacation days, no weekends. Work 7 days a week every week. When the boss is asked why he answers: Because for MY Company EVERY DAY is the Sabbath rest day - we always rest in Jesus so no need for an actual day of rest".

That would be deemed by most as "cruel and unusual" not "a blessing made FOR mankind"

• Friendly
Reactions: TzephanYahu
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"The" Sabbath was given specifically to the physical descendants of the patriarch Israel.
Exodus 31:16
16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
Leviticus 24:8
8 Every sabbath he shall set it in order before the LORD continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant.
Jesus is our Sabbath.
Matthew 11:28
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Jesus is our firstfruits.
1 Corinthians 15:20
20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
1 Corinthians 15:23
23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
Jesus is our Passover.
1 Corinthians 5:7
7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
All of that is just a shadow.
Colossians 2:16-17
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Reactions: EJ M
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Stranger within your gates" is someone visiting me at my home - I would not have him doing work for me on Sabbath nor hire someone else to come in and do it. If I have a leaky faucet I don't hire a plumber who can only show up on Sabbath.
Your pursuit of the sabbath rest is laudable and I commend you for your consistency with scripture.

To me to do justice to the law we need to interpret activities to a modern context. If an ox was used to plow a field that today a tractor does then the tractor should not be used on the sabbath. That's an easy one but there are some challenging ones. If lighting a fire is against the sabbath (Ex 35:3) then we must ask what was the purpose behind lighting a fire and should we obstain from our modern day fires that have the same goal? Cooking, a source of light, a source of heat, etc... Are we prepared to go that far? Cooking perhaps, but no lights? No heat (or ACs for the opposite). It's easy to say no fires (because who lights fires anymore?) but it wasn't easy for the Israelites. No one takes it this far but should we as per the instruction of the law?

Even more challenging is causing others to work. Our modern day life styles needs a lot of background services to run in order to keep up with the demand. Phones, tv, internet, electricity, etc... All require people to work on the Sabbath in order to have those functioning and this is well beyond essentials. By using non essential electricity we are keeping the demand alive, if all Christians stop consuming power or using the internet/phone on the Sabbath it would impact the demand and fewer people would require to work to keep that demand going.

Did I take it too far? The law seems to have taken it that far for Israel. I don't think people fairly review these things and would rather just not think about it but if we are going to take the sabbath seriously perhaps we need to evualte our consumption on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Your pursuit of the sabbath rest is laudable and I commend you for your consistency with scripture.

To me to do justice to the law we need to interpret activities to a modern context. If an ox was used to plow a field that today a tractor does then the tractor should not be used on the sabbath.

True - but not because the tractor "needs a rest" ... the animal needs one -- not the tractor. The reason that the tractor would be "not used" is that the human driving it needs the rest.

God was not concerned that physics, or electricity or metal needed a rest..

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"The" Sabbath was given specifically to the physical descendants of the patriarch Israel.
Exodus 31:16
16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
Leviticus 24:8
8 Every sabbath he shall set it in order before the LORD continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant.
Jesus is our Sabbath.
Matthew 11:28
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Jesus is our firstfruits.
1 Corinthians 15:20
20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
1 Corinthians 15:23
23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
Jesus is our Passover.
1 Corinthians 5:7
7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
All of that is just a shadow.
Colossians 2:16-17
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
This is a bit off topic and there are a 1000 threads like this. This post is about how to keep the Sabbath and what Sabbath keepers do to honor the 4th commandment. If you would like to start a new thread with your interpretation of scriptures, I am sure several of us would be happy to provide what some of the scriptures you are posting means.

In the meantime, how I like to keep Sabbath is going to church. I definitely feel the Spirit the most at church around other Sabbath keepers. With COVID since that is not possible, I enjoy sermons online and my favorite is from my own pastor, Doug Bachelor on AmazingFacts.com I also enjoy other SDA speakers like Mark Finley, Ted C Wilson and some from 3ABN. I also feel its important to have personal devotion with Christ so I will spend time reading the Bible and praying. I love listening to Christian music as well and enjoy nature walks. Sabbath is a real blessing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If lighting a fire is against the sabbath (Ex 35:3) then we must ask what was the purpose behind lighting a fire and should we obstain from our modern day fires

They "had fire" on Sabbath as we see in the temple in the desert - with their sacrifices and offerings - but they did not light one -- because of the very large effort to do it.

The issue remains the same - the amount of work the human is doing on Sabbath.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Even more challenging is causing others to work. Our modern day life styles needs a lot of background services to run in order to keep up with the demand. Phones, tv, internet, electricity, etc... All require people to work on the Sabbath in order to have those functioning .

Nobody at the phone company or electric company "goes home on Sabbath if a Sabbath keeper does not use his/her phone on Sabbath".

In Israel they had temple guards, guards at the gates of the city, people that setup the temple etc. And Christ himself pointed to the need to relieve suffering on the Sabbath.

The problem here is that before doing the first most obvious steps you are wanting to get down to tithing on mint and rue and blades of grass.

That would be like saying "I am going to ignore the command not to covet until every thought I have is first perfect". That would not be progressing toward more obedience and sanctification -- it would simply be excusing rebellion.

Jesus said in Matt 5 that to have an impure thought is to commit adultery - but He never said "go ahead and commit adultery all day long until you no longer have an impure thought for a month or two".

That kind of logic/reasoning is not found in the Bible. Nor does Christ say "well yes I see that all the Jewish leaders are committing adultery but that is ok since they have not reached the stage yet of having absolutely no impure thoughts ever in their day"

Start at point A and progress toward B. Never using B as the enemy of A.

Last edited:
Upvote 0