What does it take for a soul to become eternal/infinite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

The afterlife is true.

That's why he experienced it.

Occam's razor

You do not understand Occam's razor. We have very clearly shown that OBEs are easily produced in lab conditions. And the afterlife being real certainly raises a lot more questions than it answers, and from that point alone it violates Occam's razor. And once again, things are not true just because you really believe them to be true.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,311.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The fact that someone had an out of body experience in which he had a revelatory experience does not mean that what he experienced was true. OBEs are caused by an impairment in brain function, and have been artificially induced in the lab. First Out-of-body Experience Induced In Laboratory Setting
Its real if they then go on to write an
insufferable life- affirming account and go on a lecture tour.

Upvote 0

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟130,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
How do you think my logic is flawed?
straw-man-fallacy_3518d7c89e.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Accusing me of blind faith…

In the past, I've said that you assume that memories are always accurate.

And in this situation I'm saying that you apparently think that if someone has an OBE then their spirit must be leaving their body and what they experience is actually happening.

However, you are wrong on both counts. Memories are not always accurate, even if you really think they are. And people who have OBEs are not necessarily experiencing their souls/spirits/etc actually leaving their bodies. And a person can experience something they believe to be an encounter with God without it actually being an encounter with God.

That does not mean I am using a strawman argument against you.

If I was using a strawman argument, I would say (for example) something like you believe that an OBE requires a person's brain to physically leave their skull, or that memories are stored on a removable USB drive sort of thing that can be checked by anyone. But I have made no such claim, have I? All I have done is say that your interpretation of an event may be mistaken, or that there could be an explanation for an event other than the one you think is true. That is not a strawman argument.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟130,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
You do know how to participate in a discussion, yes?

“Truth is so obscure in these times, and falsehood so established, that, unless we love the truth, we cannot know it.”
― Blaise Pascal

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ponderous Curmudgeon

Feb 20, 2021
Newfield
✟38,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

“Truth is so obscure in these times, and falsehood so established, that, unless we love the truth, we cannot know it.”
― Blaise Pascal
Questioning your watching of Fox for the last four years?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.