What does it mean to...

Eishiba

Dec 15, 2011
✟15,450.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
What does it mean to give something to God? For example, I have sin I deal with and wish that I could quit but everytime I get tempted I fall. I ask God why did he make me this way. I have said several times God please take this. I give it to you, I can't deal with it. Not I but you. But I keep failing. What does it mean to give something like this to God? Is it more like saying I'm going to quit? Or does God do something for you?

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I think it means we're trusting Him to take over in our thoughts, hearts, will, and weakness. And to either take the temptation from us, or give us the grace to endure it, and increase in holiness as we struggle.

I struggle with anger and unforgiveness. The feelings that go with this are bitter, evil, angry, and hateful. I don't like them! I know they're wrong. But God doesn't take the anger from me. After years of struggling with this, I wonder if God is not allowing this to give me the chance to rely wholly on Him for grace, mercy, strength, and wisdom as I mess up, and realize I'm messing up, and seek His help over and over. It would be easy to just be free of these feelings. But maybe God wants me to learn forgiveness through a struggle to love, as opposed to an automatic happy or free feeling.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What does it mean to give something to God? For example, I have sin I deal with and wish that I could quit but everytime I get tempted I fall. I ask God why did he make me this way. I have said several times God please take this. I give it to you, I can't deal with it. Not I but you. But I keep failing. What does it mean to give something like this to God? Is it more like saying I'm going to quit? Or does God do something for you?
This might help:

Upvote 0

Gell

Redeemed
Site Supporter
May 9, 2018
England
✟56,279.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Jesus Christ said that whoever wants to be His disciple, we must deny ourselves, take up our cross daily and follow Him.
Luke 7:23
We all have our own issues that we must struggle with in this mortal life. That is how we are being sanctified.
We must become less so that the Lord will be lifted up John 3:30
Greater is the Master that His student.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just cant do this version of Christianity where its all about what I can get out of it.

I have moved forward a lot again this year, largely by reintroducing Jesus into my personal time. The more I have done this the more I have felt I need to change church. Jesus is the intercessor or us before the father. He took the punishment our sin deserves in our place. We need to ask Jesus to help us with our sin and to intercede to the Father on our behalf. Without Jesus help I ind it very difficult to beat sin, but by giving it to Him in prayer things improved significantly. I wont say I am free of them, but at the point of writing I feel that there is less sin in my life with Jesus help.

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The burden. Your sin is your sin. God carries the burden. He loves you but hates the sin. Ultimately as long as you sin you will have to deal with the consequences. I learned this the hard way when I had to learn to deal with some demons and quit drugs. You can tell God to take your problems, and he will. It might not be instant, but the bible says He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it. So let him have it, sin no more.. yes I said it repent and change. When I did all this and quit drugs and changed for the better truly something in me changed, then everything else was added. If you don't then you give it to God and trust that he loves you and will work with you as long as you give it a chance. You don't have to worry or stress because he loves you and will deal with it in due time, maybe in this life, maybe in the next. This is the benefit of giving it to God.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

In the case of sin you can't get the victory over, I would say giving it to God rests on the verse 1Jn 1.9:

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. -1John 1:9​

This verse says that if we confess, God will both forgive and work in us to cleanse us. Giving the situation to God, then, involves several things. First, awareness of the sin. Then repentance - acknowledging it is wrong and needs to change. Then confession - this is coming clean before the Lord, not hiding, not making excuses; we were honest with ourselves and now we're being honest with the Lord.

Finally, it means we are going to place faith in what the verse promises. We do not become exempt from doing what we can to avoid the sin - maybe by examining relationships, habits, and how we spend our time - but it does mean that by the shield of faith we are protected from condemnation (Rom. 8.1) and do not have to carry that burden any longer.

And what that translates to is love. "He who is forgiven much, loves much", and "we love because He first loved us" (1jn 4). Our weakness can cause us to despair, or it can drive us closer to God. It's a choice. His power is perfected in weakness (2Cor 12).

Romans 6.14 tells us "sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace." This promises ultimate victory over sin, and also no condemnation as we fight to get there. Stay in the Word, because there is a lot of clarity there.

"Why did God make [you] this way"? He didn't. Everything God does is good, no exceptions. He is pure Light, and morally perfect. God has allowed Creation to continue in its broken, fallen form out of love, because He intends to bring many sons to glory. That means He loves us enough to bear with us even when we are weak and struggling, and yes, even when we fail. As long as our hearts remain His, we have this hope of putting off the carnal nature and being fully happy in Him.

Upvote 0

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟226,807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Cor 10.13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it

This means that you will be tempted, but you always have a way out. God usually does not remove a temptation. You need to be an active participant in rejecting the temptation and replacing it with something else.

Repentance is never passive, it's always active. It is something you do, not something that is done to you. So in order to have victory over your sin, it's important to recognize it, confess it, and then change your behavior. You are not a puppet, so you must take the initiative if you are serious about giving up this sin. We are blessed with the free will to choose God's way, or suffer the consequences of our sin. It's all up to you.

• Agree
Reactions: Valetic
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The Holy Spirit wants and helps us to do the right thing but, this at times also requires us to do our part.
M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi,

The bible tells us "pray that you enter not into temptation, for the spirit is willing but the flesh weak". This passage was quoted by Jesus when his disciples were sleeping rather than praying. It is a call to us all to pray more. For when we pray more the Holy Spirits power in us increases and gives us power over sin, if we are prayerless we reduce the power available to us. Sin can be beaten but it comes with dedication to God, and prayer.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0