Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've struggled with this concept ever since being saved and learning about The Holy Trinity beyond my childhood religious upbringing and understanding.

I'm starting to think that "dying to the flesh", does not just mean the sins that contaminate our lives, nor does it just mean avoiding temptation of fleshly or worldly things - but it goes much deeper than this.

We are born into the world, into our familial, social and socio-economic environments. We develop our individual identity through a range of factors, including biological and psychological predisposition, and environmental/relational stimuli. These factors develop within us an "ego" identity, and (in my POV) often the identity that is created in the world, is not the identity that God intends for us to have.

This is why when we come to Christ, God makes us a "new creation" in Him through the sanctification process, which can often (and only if we are willing), take years of dismantling old belief-systems and patterns of behaviour that have been developed while we were separated from God. I have noticed in my own walk so far, I am being shown through people and circumstances, the areas in which I am led by the Holy Spirit to "let go" of certain thinking and behavioural patterns and often find his corrections and his way to make more sense than my own "way" the further down the path with him I go.

I am starting to understand my ego identity is not the "real" me, which leaves me feeling as though I'm entering into a bit of an "identity crisis", not quite understanding yet, what or who I am as this "new creation" in Christ, or what it truly means to be one of God's "children".

What does it mean to you to have your "identity in Christ"? Have you experienced the need for such an identity "transition"? Or do you believe our personal "identity" is included in our new identity in Christ?

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've struggled with this concept ever since being saved and learning about The Holy Trinity beyond my childhood religious upbringing and understanding.

I'm starting to think that "dying to the flesh", does not just mean the sins that contaminate our lives, nor does it just mean avoiding temptation of fleshly or worldly things - but it goes much deeper than this.

We are born into the world, into our familial, social and socio-economic environments. We develop our individual identity through a range of factors, including biological and psychological predisposition, and environmental/relational stimuli. These factors develop within us an "ego" identity, and (in my POV) often the identity that is created in the world, is not the identity that God intends for us to have.

This is why when we come to Christ, God makes us a "new creation" in Him through the sanctification process, which can often (and only if we are willing), take years of dismantling old belief-systems and patterns of behaviour that have been developed while we were separated from God. I have noticed in my own walk so far, I am being shown through people and circumstances, the areas in which I am led by the Holy Spirit to "let go" of certain thinking and behavioural patterns and often find his corrections and his way to make more sense than my own "way" the further down the path with him I go.

I am starting to understand my ego identity is not the "real" me, which leaves me feeling as though I'm entering into a bit of an "identity crisis", not quite understanding yet, what or who I am as this "new creation" in Christ, or what it truly means to be one of God's "children".

What does it mean to you to have your "identity in Christ"? Have you experienced the need for such an identity "transition"? Or do you believe our personal "identity" is included in our new identity in Christ?
Great question! Surely the Holy Spirit is showing you these things. I will probably have more to say, but to start I would simply say to lose yourself in Christ in order find yourself again in Him is to live out who you were truly created to be. Everyday we rise and move in the Spirit is to move in reality. Anything apart from Him is an imposter.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Two wonderful posts. There is this balanced walk we must take with mystery on one side and knowledge the other. But certainly we must admit that with growth there is change, new identity and yet continuity of old as well. But our identity in Christ has the power to break old molds and patterns that are essentially prisons. But also to reclaim and sanctify old assets, or talents. Who are we when we empty ourselves? And what does that even mean? It is all an unfolding surprise.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am starting to understand my ego identity is not the "real" me, which leaves me feeling as though I'm entering into a bit of an "identity crisis"
This is one of God's greatest messages to you. Let this wisdom guide you.

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟45,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It's a great question. Let me just re-phrase it in order to understand. Are you asking if there is any part of our personality that would remain after we are saved?
That sounds kind of cult-like, as though we have to leave our former personality behind to conform to a singular image.
I don't believe God wants us to die to our personalities (dying to sin, flesh and the world yes), but then it's possible if there are some unhelpful things within it, then God wants to change that.

God gives us all different gifts of the Spirit, so I see no reason why there should be no differences in our personalities, and for God to use that.
Here's a question to consider: Why do we have different races of people? Do you think there will only be one race in heaven? (Okay two questions. :sorry:)
Just like how our bodies will be resurrected in a perfected version, so too our personalities also, I believe.
I see the Body of Christ as wonderfully diverse, like all the different colours of the heavenly gemstones you referenced in another post. Let us celebrate our differences together, to the Glory of God.

On a personal level, my identity in Christ is part and parcel of who I am here and now. I have vastly changed in behaviour since coming to Christ, while some aspects of my personality that have been with me all my life (and were being stifled by sin and the world) have grown, such as innocence, cheerfulness and compassion - although arguably these could be fruits of the Spirit. The point is these traits were there before. They have been allowed to flourish in Christ.

We're all different. Some will change more than others, just as some will bear more fruit than others.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's a great question. Let me just re-phrase it in order to understand. Are you asking if there is any part of our personality that would remain after we are saved?
That sounds kind of cult-like, as though we have to leave our former personality behind to conform to a singular image.
Yes, l guess? Although our ego identity can be connected to anything in the world "people, places and things". I'm talking about the identity that forms in the world apart from God. As an example Jesus said in Luke 14:26

26 “If you want to be my disciple, you must, by comparison, hate everyone else—your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple.

This relates to how we place our identity in our family, natural for a child who's identity is in their parents, and natural for couples who's identity is in their husband or wife. Do you understand what I'm getting at? I'm not saying we are completely rid of all personality traits, but we get "pared back" in our identity in a way, by having to let go of the idea that we belong anywhere or to anyone, except to God.

Here's a question to consider: Why do we have different races of people? Do you think there will only be one race in heaven?
1). For God's glory while on Earth
2) I believe we become a spiritual body in heaven not a physical one. Example can be found when Jesus says in Matthew 22:29-30

29 Jesus replied, “Your mistake is that you don’t know the Scriptures, and you don’t know the power of God. 30 For when the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage. In this respect they will be like the angels in heaven.

On a personal level, my identity in Christ is part and parcel of who I am here and now. I have vastly changed in behaviour since coming to Christ, while some aspects of my personality that have been with me all my life (and were being stifled by sin and the world) have grown, such as innocence, cheerfulness and compassion - although arguably these could be fruits of the Spirit. The point is these traits were there before. They have been allowed to flourish in Christ.
I understand what you're saying, I've noticed lately I've had some "traits" with me since childhood. Like I've always been honest to a fault, never liked violence or seeing people get bullied, always tried to see people beyond their circumstances or behaviour. And that stuff almost got corroded in me to the point I had completely changed in a 10 year time-frame. God has been restoring those aspects of myself I thought were long gone but lately realise they're part of my inherent "nature".

Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I understand what you're saying, I've noticed lately I've had some "traits" with me since childhood. Like I've always been honest to a fault, never liked violence or seeing people get bullied, always tried to see people beyond their circumstances or behaviour. And that stuff almost got corroded in me to the point I had completely changed in a 10 year time-frame. God has been restoring those aspects of myself I thought were long gone but lately realise they're part of my inherent "nature".
This is the life-long process of metanoia, the continual unravelling all of the mental conditioning upon our true nature.
"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
- Romans 12:2
Our Lord also taught this,
Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."
- Matthew 16:24-25
The way back to God is the deconditioning of the world's thinking, including our idea of who we are. As Akita said,
"Who are we when we empty ourselves? And what does that even mean? It is all an unfolding surprise."
There is a joke, and for some of us who have figured out the punchline, it is liberating (or "saving" if you prefer the biblical terminology).

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The way back to God is the deconditioning of the world's thinking, including our idea of who we are.

I'm beginning to see this within myself lately. I've had a self-hatred that has kept me in bondage most of my life, and every self-destructive pattern or habit I ever acquired stems from this one reality. I don't know if this is common, but often trauma is the instigator for such beliefs.

Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm beginning to see this within myself lately. I've had a self-hatred that has kept me in bondage most of my life, and every self-destructive pattern or habit I ever acquired stems from this one reality. I don't know if this is common, but often trauma is the instigator for such beliefs.
Yes, I shared that.

Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think @Akita Suggagaki put it well. There is a sanctification of the old, the original word He spoke(not speaking of the old man here that is only fit for the fire) and an awareness of the new. And it truly is a mystery unfolding A Way Unknown :) Hmmm.... So He doesn't do away with those things that are unique to us. He made us each in our own unique way. He just takes them heals them and makes them whole. There is so many ways in which these things grotesquely develop apart from Him. Inordinate entanglements that become snares and pitfalls. But He is the master of disentanglement. He knows where to touch us, exactly where to put the knife, and bring us out as it was intended to be. He is a good surgeon. He knows how to do His work.

We were a word spoken by God. He knew us from the foundation of the world. He knew what that word was intended to be. But apart from Him the vine grows unruly and wild. It is alien to Him. Everything about it is false and misplaced. He brings us back to the center of who He really is and who we really are in Him. He puts us in Himself. The Good soil, to draw our life from the good vine.

The self life is an unruly wild vine. A False vine that lives out of a lie. The true vine is Christ. To draw life from that vine. Is to draw what is real. That is reality, that is truth, but it is a mystery breathed into us day by day, only He knows how it is going to turn out, we have given up all rights to ourselves now, it is a life of faith, we become simply an extension of His doings, He only lets us draw the manna we need for the day, The present moment is everything, the past is gone, the future is not ours. Our job is to rest. The branch can do nothing apart from the vine. It simply rests in the vine drawing in everything it needs to become what it was truly intended to be.

I would just add one caveat to all of that. Do not be surprised if He leaves brokenness and weakness in us. All of what I said does not describe some superhuman. Oh no, far from it. I feel the most vulnerable, frail person on earth sometimes. But we learn we have to step out into the light in our weakness to lay hold of Him for all we need. To sit in the fire of that and learn to trust Him is a real dying to self. It is coming to know a strength not of our own. In that way some of the things we most wish He would do away with becomes our greatest assets to the glory of Him. (1 Corinthians 1:26-31)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But apart from Him the vine grows unruly and wild. It is alien to Him. Everything about it is false and misplaced.
That's certainly a way to put it (and the way I'm starting to feel about my ego identity).

The true vine is Christ. To draw life from that vine. Is to draw what is real. That is reality, that is truth
Exactly! The world sees "truth" as personal, but there is only one reality and truth that exists and that is God. :preach:

Do not be surprised if He leaves brokenness and weakness in us.
Kind of like Paul's thorn in the flesh? I think it's to keep us humble.

. In that way some of the things we most wish He would do away with becomes our greatest assets to the glory of Him.
I totally agree :amen:

Upvote 0

JLB777

Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You ask a good question.

For years as a Christian my identify was rooted In what I did, (my profession) and how I worked to take care of my family. Then through certain events and the Holy Spirit giving me new understanding, my identity changed to being God’s son.

So, no matter what I did as a job, my identity was not changed, but remain founded upon Christ, and my place in Him as God’s son.

This would serve me well in the years to come as the Lord began to call me into ministry and the time came for me to lay down my profession, and walk more and more in my calling.

JPT

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The new identity is His Holy Spirit dwelling in the believer. This is regeneration through Him and in Him. He makes His Home in the beliver setting them apart for the Kingfom of God. We continue to struggle with the flesh but His promise is everlasting if we stay the course. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

A chip off of the old block is someone who has the same nature expressed through doing the same works as their father, and this is then sense that Jesus is the Son of God insofar as he is the exact expression of God's nature (Hebrews 1:3), which he expressed through setting a sinless example of how to walk obedience to God's law, so that is also the sense that we are children of God when we are partaking in the divine nature through following Christ's example. This is why Jesus said in John 8:39 that if they were children of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works that he did, why in 1 John 3:4-10, those who do not practice righteousness in obedience to God's law are not children of God, and why in Romans 8:4-14, those who are born again of the Spirit are contrasted with those who have minds set on the flesh who refuse to submit to God's law. So being in Christ is about being unified with Christ through partaking in the same nature by walking in the same way he walked, which is why those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6).

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟45,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I agree with your post #6, I just wanted to ask you a question re. this:
I believe we become a spiritual body in heaven not a physical one. Example can be found when Jesus says in Matthew 22:29-30

Does Jesus have a physical body now?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Matthew 22:29-30 - is a "read in" to use this verse in regard to a "body" .... it states there will not be marriage ... it's not describing the physical forms of angels. Angels are created beings, they are not able to pro-create so marriage is not necessary. the Bible does not talk about them being male and female .... although when talked about they are referred to in masculine form. So while in heaven, there will not be procreation .... however in the new earth? Likely so I'd say. Humanity and all His original creation restored as He originally created before the fall. It was all VERY good ....

Jesus does have a physical body ....flesh and bones

Luke 24:39 (after His assenssion)
King James Bible
Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

and we will be like Him

1 John 3:2

New King James Version
Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

Angels ... We don't know much of anything about their physical form .... but are described sometimes as having physical form and also as able to take on physical form (appearing as human).

Hard to say about angels ;o). We'll know when we enter into heaven. ;o). as stated above ... it has not been revealed to us.

• Agree
Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You ask a good question.

For years as a Christian my identify was rooted In what I did, (my profession) and how I worked to take care of my family. Then through certain events and the Holy Spirit giving me new understanding, my identity changed to being God’s son.

So, no matter what I did as a job, my identity was not changed, but remain founded upon Christ, and my place in Him as God’s son.

This would serve me well in the years to come as the Lord began to call me into ministry and the time came for me to lay down my profession, and walk more and more in my calling.

JPT
That's awesome :oldthumbsup: So essentially the Lord got you to "detach" from your worldly identity so your identity in His kingdom could be manifested. :clap:

Reactions: JLB777
Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I believe Jesus is part of the Holy Trinity (He is the Son of God and he is God), so both the Father and the Son being one and the Son in us and we in him, this is how the Holy Spirit works in us and through us. I don't believe Jesus has a physical body like we do on earth, it is a spiritual body, but he can manifest himself any which way because he is God. Like when he appeared to the disciples he chose who he revealed himself to and it wasn't everyone, but the disciples were the witnesses to his resurrection.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It means I belong to Him! :prayer:

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 22:29-30 - is a "read in" to use this verse in regard to a "body" .... it states there will not be marriage ... it's not describing the physical forms of angels. Angels are created beings, they are not able to pro-create so marriage is not necessary. the Bible does not talk about them being male and female .... although when talked about they are referred to in masculine form. So while in heaven, there will not be procreation .... however in the new earth? Likely so I'd say. Humanity and all His original creation restored as He originally created before the fall. It was all VERY good ....

Jesus does have a physical body ....flesh and bones

Luke 24:39 (after His assenssion)
King James Bible
Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

and we will be like Him

1 John 3:2

New King James Version
Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

Angels ... We don't know much of anything about their physical form .... but are described sometimes as having physical form and also as able to take on physical form (appearing as human).

Hard to say about angels ;o). We'll know when we enter into heaven. ;o). as stated above ... it has not been revealed to us.
The scripture say "they will be like the angels of God in heaven" in my mind that means akin to and/or resembling, and I also don't believe there will be procreation as that was part of the old earth design which will "pass away".

Upvote 0