What does it mean to walk in the spirit?

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree death is essential to being born from above. For "Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit."

And "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."

Once we are born from above, we are dead to sin and will go and sin and die no more.

"25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?"

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Woe to those who desire to live their own life now and hope for the best after death. It would be better to die now so that you never have to die again....

"Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake?"

Most will say, "no, I must continue to sin......"

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
All compliments of self awareness which leads to the problem of self vs others... 'Who told you you were naked?'
Yes, self-consciousness and certainly shame entered the scene with the fall of man. Shame of self, of who we naturally are in our created state, was apparently the result of wanting to be like God- while their bodies attested to the fact that they were creatures, and definitely not the Creator. So what did they do? They covered up. Transparency, innocence, were lost.

Either way I appreciate a teaching I'm familiar with that says that, at the Fall, man became divided in some manner not only from God but from the rest of creation, from his fellow man, and within his own self.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One would have to question then, if one is saved or born of the spirit and walking therein, before the drawing/regeneration is complete, or after it's completion.

If we are saved before regeneration, then we can sin after with no chance of being lost....otherwise you were never "saved" before.

If one is pull out of the way of a car, saving their life......there is no chance that they can be unsaved in the future from that past car accident. It is forever done. Same for those born of God, whom the bible states, not me, cannot commit sin.
Where does the bible say they cannot commit sin-unless for some encouraging hyperbole at best maybe? And if salvation consists, ultimately, in complete union with God in heaven, then we can still decide whether or not we really want that relationship as his adopted children now. A saved person can always jump back in the water- or in front of another car.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where does the bible say they cannot commit sin-unless for some encouraging hyperbole at best maybe?

The bible states that "they" do not and cannot commit sin. It also states that only servants of sin...commit sin. And one cannot serve two masters. I believe that I quoted at least one of the many verses that state this....but you seem well spoken....so let us just assume that you can adequately interpret any verse given, to match what you already believe to be true.

And if salvation consists, ultimately, in complete union with God in heaven, then we can still decide whether or not we really want that relationship as his adopted children now.

I believe we are in disagreement concerning when this union takes place.... most believe that you should die physically and then hope everything you believed was correct. Woe to these men, for there is no repentance in the grave, and God is a god of the living.....not the dead.

Nay, let us make this union now, view heaven, and then come back to tell the story like Jesus did.

"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?"

We, of our our strength, lay down our lives, and pick them back up again.......therefore, death has no sting....and grave no victory....

A saved person can always jump back in the water- or in front of another car.

Paul believeth that :
" ....it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame."

I tend to agree. Very doubtful that one, after making this union we speak of, and experiencing heaven, would choose to give it all up again.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The bible states that "they" do not and cannot commit sin. It also states that only servants of sin...commit sin. And one cannot serve two masters. I believe that I quoted at least one of the many verses that state this....but you seem well spoken....so let us just assume that you can adequately interpret any verse given, to match what you already believe to be true.
Well, yes, we can all trade verses supporting what we believe to be true-a very common thing here on the forums and elsewhere as we all know.
I believe we are in disagreement concerning when this union takes place.... most believe that you should die physically and then hope everything you believed was correct. Woe to these men, for there is no repentance in the grave, and God is a god of the living.....not the dead.
Actually the union must take place, or begin, here, and then to be fully consumated in the next life (1 Cor 13:12). That reconciliation and union is the basis of our salvation.
Paul believeth that :
" ....it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame."

I tend to agree. Very doubtful that one, after making this union we speak of, and experiencing heaven, would choose to give it all up again.
Probably true, in regard to tasting of the heavenly gift. And yet we know that God's forgiveness is always available for anyone with a truly repentant heart. And John speaks of confessing sin and Jesus purifying us of all unrighteousness. So, it's up to Him, of course. Anyway, it's a journey, IMO, and a battle at times-but a good and worthy one, towards an incomparably good end.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, yes, we can all trade verses supporting what we believe to be true-a very common thing here on the forums and elsewhere as we all know.

Very common indeed.....Less common are those who are able to demonstrate the truth instead of simply asking other to believe the one who exhibits the most excellency of speech.

Let me know if you are will to meet in heaven to discuss these truths......before you physically die, of course......for there will be no way to reply back to the people any other way...

Actually the union must take place, or begin, here, and then to be fully consumated in the next life (1 Cor 13:12). That reconciliation and union is the basis of our salvation.

I agree.....but we may disagree with when this happens.....if you are hoping for something after you physically die. But in any event, wouldnt it still be correct to say that you arent "saved" until that union is completed.....especially when you believe you can still run in front of new cars?

Probably true, in regard to tasting of the heavenly gift. And yet we know that God's forgiveness is always available for anyone with a truly repentant heart. And John speaks of confessing sin and Jesus purifying us of all unrighteousness. So, it's up to Him, of course. Anyway, it's a journey, IMO, and a battle at times-but a good and worthy one, towards an incomparably good end.
I agree again. Forgiveness and repentance is the boarding of the plane.....once in the air, there is no turning back to walking again....and things can go wrong on the plane......therefore we are not saved, until you land at your destination....and after landing, you will not be transported back to your former state. And if you die on the plane......... Lets just reach the destination alive.....and leave the dying for the dead.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Very common indeed.....Less common are those who are able to demonstrate the truth instead of simply asking other to believe the one who exhibits the most excellency of speech.
And I have no idea who may have implied anything otherwise. I use as many Scriptural verses, for example, as anyone else to support my positions.
I agree.....but we may disagree with when this happens.....if you are hoping for something after you physically die. But in any event, wouldnt it still be correct to say that you arent "saved" until that union is completed.....especially when you believe you can still run in front of new cars?
As I said the union must begin here. Otherwise no salvation will occur. But can we disunite? Can we throw ourselves in front of a car by returning to the flesh? Well, according to Scripture, yes, which is why there are so many warnings and admonitions against doing such a thing. The church in the east and west has historically understood that grace is absolutely necessary in order to be saved, that man can do nothing apart from God, but that, beginning in Eden, man can oppose and thwart Gods will for his life. And by our choices and actions we show where our hearts really lie, whether or not we truly remain in Him, whether or not we place God first above all else. So the church teaches that man's will continues to be involved as he works out his salvation in this life with He who works in us, with the grace he's been given. So a teaching goes:

I. FREEDOM AND RESPONSIBILITY

1731 Freedom is the power, rooted in reason and will, to act or not to act, to do this or that, and so to perform deliberate actions on one's own responsibility. By free will one shapes one's own life. Human freedom is a force for growth and maturity in truth and goodness; it attains its perfection when directed toward God, our beatitude.

1732 As long as freedom has not bound itself definitively to its ultimate good which is God, there is the possibility of choosing between good and evil, and thus of growing in perfection or of failing and sinning. This freedom characterizes properly human acts. It is the basis of praise or blame, merit or reproach.

Love is both a gift-and a choice. To the extent that man loves God with his whole heart, soul, mind, and strength his purpose is acheived- and that union would be complete.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree death is essential to being born from above. For "Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit."

And "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."

Once we are born from above, we are dead to sin and will go and sin and die no more.

"25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?"

Once we are born from above, we will go and sin more. Nobody is totally free from sin; it is a matter of sin controlling us or our controlling sin. Without the Spirit it is impossible to control sin; with the Spirit we can not only control sin but are guided away from it into righteousness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Woe to those who desire to live their own life now and hope for the best after death. It would be better to die now so that you never have to die again....

There is zero basis for this. Most people, even those who aren't Christians, would ever say "no, I must continue to sin..." Very few perhaps...

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is zero basis for this. Most people, even those who aren't Christians, would ever say "no, I must continue to sin..." Very few perhaps...
I've experiences the opposite on these forums. I doubt you would find one person who would say that it is possible to not sin after being "saved". I've learned here that the only difference between the saved and the sinner is that the sins of the saves are forgiving now and will be in the future.

Most say they plan to and will stubble in the future.....while being "saved." It is not possible to be ye perfect as the Father in heaven.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Salvation is given and received.....not earned and worked for....
Yes which is why the guests to the wedding feast were invited. Meanwhile the Lord Lords try to make themselves the bride which of course requires a lot of work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes which is why the guests to the wedding feast were invited. Meanwhile the Lord Lords try to make themselves the bride which of course requires a lot of work.
Working, in some capacity are the many reasons given for not accepting this invitation.....

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Some sin is addictive. Is the Lord merciful to those who backslide? If an alcoholic falls off the wagon does the Lord condemn him or tell him to get back on?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some sin is addictive. Is the Lord merciful to those who backslide? If an alcoholic falls off the wagon does the Lord condemn him or tell him to get back on?
I agree. But my words are concerning those that are born from above.....Not those who are jumping on and off wagons.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We say, we can fail, fall and backslide all we want and still be "saved," and this we must do because we have no choice.

However:

"...Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"...Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."
Exactly.. we cannot serve two masters which follow opposing philosophies. Ask the Church that abandoned the government of God to team up with the government of man. The result was allegiance to the institution was more important than to God. Ask the burnt corpses that preferred scripture over institution. It dropped reference to the Kingdom of God as Jesus' gospel and inserted itself as a proxy. There is no worldly proxy for the ways of man run contrary to the will of God. What does it mean to walk in the spirit? It means to walk without worldly legs.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0