What does it mean to take the Bible literally?

Aug 10, 2019
North Augusta
✟53,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It is the idea that the meaning of the text corresponds to the intentions of the writers.

As far as the example goes (if your eye offends you) the intent (I believe) is removing that which gives opportunity to sin from your life.

One problem with taking the Bible literally is not all people agree on the authors meaning. That is a reflection, however, on us and not Scripture. But it leads to disagreements about issues.

Literal interpretation does not exclude literary devices.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

John Owen

Sep 23, 2022
Minneapolis
✟14,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is the idea that the meaning of the text corresponds to the intentions of the writers.

As far as the example goes (if your eye offends you) the intent (I believe) is removing that which gives opportunity to sin from your life.

One problem with taking the Bible literally is not all people agree on the authors meaning. That is a reflection, however, on us and not Scripture. But it leads to disagreements about issues.

Literal interpretation does not exclude literary devices.
Oooooh, a scholar. I like you.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I feel like I can be a little too convincing sometimes, and the direction I'm instinctively going here might cause eyes to roll. Literally. On the ground.

Upvote 0

John Owen

Sep 23, 2022
Minneapolis
✟14,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are a lot of scripture that confuse me and I don't quite get it.^_^
If it were taken woodenly, as in actually physically plucking eyes out, every wife would have a blind husband. So, obviously it is taken in a figurative way, which is a subset of a Literal Interpretation model. John Caldwell above explained it well.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If it were taken woodenly, as in actually physically plucking eyes out, every wife would have a blind husband. So, obviously it is taken in a figurative way, which is a subset of a Literal Interpretation model. John Caldwell above explained it well.

What about young earth creationism, where half the poster's on this site believe in a 6,000 year old earth?

...They don't take it figuratively.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
For example, if your eye offends you, pluck it out?

Most people would have a problem doing that. Me, on the other hand would not….seeing as I have a prosthetic eye….but I guess that would be cheating if we were abiding by the literal.

Anytime language makes a departure from normalcy it would fall into one of three categories Figure of Speech, Idiom, or Orientalism’s.

The OT has many more of these seeing as the Hebrew language was limited…. but they are scattered through the NT also.

Other than that….. The allegorical method of biblical interpretation which was used many hundreds of years ago may still be adhered to by some….I would hope not……….. but?

Reactions: John Caldwell
Upvote 0

John Owen

Sep 23, 2022
Minneapolis
✟14,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What about young earth creationism, where half the poster's on this site believe in a 6,000 year old earth?

To me, that is one of the fringe questions that we can agree to disagree on. It is so controversial that I personally avoid discussions on it.

• Agree
Reactions: John Caldwell
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To me, that is one of the fringe questions that we can agree to disagree on. It is so controversial that I personally avoid discussions on it.

But it proves that literal interpretation does not include the acceptance of literary devices for many Christians.

...Some are word for word literalists.

Upvote 0

John Owen

Sep 23, 2022
Minneapolis
✟14,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But it proves that literal interpretation does not include the acceptance of literary devices for many Christians.

Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. There is nothing in the text that indicates when you are to take things word for word literal. This is a bigger conversation than I have time or energy to tackle on an internet forum.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,403,905.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I don't see any scripture that tells us the age of the Earth. But scripture does tell us that a day in God's sight is like a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. There is nothing in the text that indicates when you are to take things word for word literal. This is a bigger conversation than I have time or energy to tackle on an internet forum.

Perhaps it's the reason denominations exist to begin with - the crux of it all.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see any scripture that tells us the age of the Earth. But scripture does tell us that a day in God's sight is like a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day.

Would that be exactly 1000, or around 1000..?

• Haha
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,403,905.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Would that be exactly 1000, or around 1000..?
Here is what scripture says.Literal? Figurative? You decide.
Psalm 90:4
For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.
2 Peter 3:8
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2019
North Augusta
✟53,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Some are, even to holding a flat-earh view. But even these interpret some passages figuratively (like the Earth being a footstool for God).

The disagreement between those who take a literal approach to Scripture is the intent of the writers. Was God explaining that He created the world in six days, or was God using "days" (which could also mean ages) to explain another truth (an order to creation, perhaps)?

The problem comes in with the introduction of death (and the subsequent submission to futility of Creation). This is what separates some Old Earthers from holding a literal view of Creation (with the Creation account being figurative).

For openness - I am a six day creation, young earth guy. But it really does not matter that much to me. I am also a world flood guy (although the narrative could mean "inhabited world"). Again, doesn't matter that much to me either way as the point of the passages are preserved.

Upvote 0