provincial
✟761,107.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I honestly cannot for the life of me figure out what it means to "speak in tongues" or what this experience is supposed to do.

Is it like all-of-a-sudden speaking a different dialect or what? I've never really heard much about so if anyone has a good link they'd like to share thad be nice! (searching on my own is giving me a headache lol)

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I honestly cannot for the life of me figure out what it means to "speak in tongues" or what this experience is supposed to do.

Is it like all-of-a-sudden speaking a different dialect or what? I've never really heard much about so if anyone has a good link they'd like to share thad be nice! (searching on my own is giving me a headache lol)

It's suddenly speaking another language apparently. Thing is with Pentecost, the speaking in tongues involved them speaking in other languages but everyone heard what they said in their own language, but for some reason that never seems to happen...

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
There are two distinct thoughts on the subject. (And just to be very transparent, I've never done EITHER.) I have a fair amount of experience with some.

One is this 'gift' is exercised by speaking in what sounds like gibberish but is really a Divine language, used by angels and such. It means nothing to the casual listener, but does communicate with God. The Bible relates that 'tongues' are a sign to the unbeliever.

Again, this goes two ways. One is a Christian speaking in tongues tends to draw unbelievers. The other thought is the phrase indicates 'fresh' or just converted believers and is a physical action to convince them they have the Holy Spirit and are therefore saved.

Typically the speaker is unaware of what is said, but a very good - almost indescribable - feeling of joy and completeness is experienced as this happens. So they tell me. I have witnessed people claiming to do this and they seem rather joyous. I have doubts about the authenticity in some instances, but will stop well short of declaring the whole thing a farce.

There is a second gift of the Holy Spirit who can 'translate' the angelic language into English.

The other view of the 'gift' of tongues is the gift bestows a 'foreign language' on the recipient without the need of formal training. I know several full time and retired missionaries and NONE of them have ever claimed or even quietly admitted - in my presence - learning a foreign language as a 'gift' as presumably demonstrated in Acts 2.

Read what Paul said about them in 1st Corinthians 12.

As I said, to my knowledge I have never used either form of 'tongues'. Nor do I recall a time I might have been speaking an angelic language.

I did learn Spanish many years ago (as a Border Patrol Agent) and could have used the 'gift' to save me much time and effort. To my knowledge, I had to do it the hard way. Although, I must confess there were and are times I speak and understand Spanish better than I realize.

Also; I am certainly willing to do either form should the Lord instruct me so. On the other hand, I'd prefer to have prophesy. (From Paul's comments.)

Upvote 0

Daydream Island

Christian
Jun 14, 2016
Sydney
✟11,002.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understood that 'tongues' was the language of heaven, someone speaking in tongues doesn't know what they are saying themselves, it is the Holy Spirit speaking/praying for you, in you. With your own mouth as you have allowed it because your body, eyes, eyelids [and so on]... are yours and it is your own decision what you do with the freedom God has given you

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't find it to be a common thing nor something you can chose to do. One lady at our church who was a bit of attention seeker would sometimes scream out weird words that no one knew. She knew what she was doing. God forgive me if I am wrong though and she really was speaking tounges.

Where as another person I seen do it once at a church spoke in gibberish and as this person did it, another stood up and translated it. Both seemed to have been for lack of better words "taken over" by the Holy Spirit. It was amazing. That falls along the lines of one view on what tounges is. And that is if its truly tongues, someone else will translate it since they are taken over too.

Then there is tounges as in "another language". Though I guess they are almost the same thing. Like a missionary is overseas and doesn't speak the language. But upon giving a message is able to suddenly speak in the native language and give the message. Which obviously to a non-believer is amazing.

Now there are some denominations that have views on tounges that anyone can speak it at anytime. For example if I pray using gibberish, that it is somehow tounges. And they also tend to believe if you can't do it, your not saved. But the bible never mentions that.

Also I should points out at the Tower of Babylon. Thats when different tounges were created. Also hence why we call something we don't understand "babble".

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I don't recall any videos that I straight up can bring to memory that explain the holy ghost experience.

I was in depression for years, many didn't know cause I did track and debate and I was making decent grades and I masked it well but yeah. I got a speaking in tounques experience after a week of crazily seeking God and that depression just vanished as well as my desire to listen to rap/hip hop anymore. I spoke in another language I never learned although even until this day when I speak in prayer or when i'm praying for an individual at church, or sometimes during a word I preach it sounds indian to me but I'm not sure.

I took spanish in highschool and forgot it all tbh so can't say i'm dedicated to knowing different languages lol.

It's basically a filling of the holy spirit is what it represents, and the belief is you gain the same power they had in acts when they too had this experience and so far I can say that's true in my walk, and here's one video I remember watching on it that teaches it. This is a guy I listen to from time to time he really knows his stuff a very smart man.

Now be aware there are mentioned in the bible earthly tounques and such, you see it a lot today where people just say random stuff or they learn a language or practice something so becareful. If you hear any church say they "practice" tounques stay away from it. Filling=controlled/full even the saying filling of the holy ghost itself doesn't mean human interviennent but rather it implies letting go and letting GOD. That's why when they spoke in the bible it would say as the spirit gives hte utterance, implying surrender to a takeover from God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
My wife was raised a Pentecostal and has related to me how the youth group was prepped to break out in tongues during the worship services. In her opinion, as a one-time adherent, most of it is faked. I have seldom visited Pentecostal churches, but I do know enough to note that there is a significant cultural difference between black, white, and Hispanic Pentecostal practice. White practice is typically more reserved, to the point that many old-timers lament their denominations have lost the old faith in the gifts.

I will also note that tongues is not a distinctly Christian phenomenon. A number of world religions have strands that practice tongues. This is an uncomfortable truth for most American Pentecostals because it seems to discredit their own experience in some way.

I do not put much stock in experience-based approaches to Christianity. I think tongues as spoken human language is certainly still possible in the church, but rare. As for ecstatic utterances and the 'prayer language' position, I think it is nonsense.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I once heard a fellow believer tell about going to Portugal to give away bibles and he was asked to speak at a church. He was speaking from the Bible but as he spoke, he noticed his translator was growing quiet and stopped translating. After the service, he asked the translater why she stopped. She told him it was because he was speaking perfect Portuguese. That baffled him. He asked his friend who also spoke no portuguese what he heart. He said he heard it all in English. The audience, however, understood his speaking.

Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Paul, that seems to be the gist of the Acts 2 episode. The Apostles, et al, who spoke didn't seem to be aware of the miracle. Only the hearers.

Truthfully, I'll let God administer His gifts, and hopefully stand ready to follow directions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My wife was raised a Pentecostal and has related to me how the youth group was prepped to break out in tongues during the worship services. In her opinion, as a one-time adherent, most of it is faked. I have seldom visited Pentecostal churches, but I do know enough to note that there is a significant cultural difference between black, white, and Hispanic Pentecostal practice. White practice is typically more reserved, to the point that many old-timers lament their denominations have lost the old faith in the gifts.

I will also note that tongues is not a distinctly Christian phenomenon. A number of world religions have strands that practice tongues. This is an uncomfortable truth for most American Pentecostals because it seems to discredit their own experience in some way.

I do not put much stock in experience-based approaches to Christianity. I think tongues as spoken human language is certainly still possible in the church, but rare. As for ecstatic utterances and the 'prayer language' position, I think it is nonsense.
As one that has been in Pentecostal churches for over 15 years I've seen what your wife speaks of...there, unfortunately, are those churches that coach people on speaking in tongues...however, there are also those that believe that it is a gift of the Holy Spirit, and as such will be given to the individual in His time. I personally fall into the camp that says it happens in His time. But, I also believe that it's just one of many gifts, and not all will have it. I can understand and respect your view that it's nonsense...if one has not had a personal experience like this, they cannot appreciate it.

Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0