✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is what 2 Tim 2:15 really means !

STUDY / SPOUDOZO is in the AORIST TENSE , ACTIVE VOICE , IMPERATIVE MOOD , is a command to study .

TO SHOW / PARISTEMI , also in the PAST TENSE , ACTIVE VOICE

THYSELF / SEAUTOS , is a REFLEXIVE PRONOUN , ACCUSATIVE CASE , SINGULAR

APPROVED / DOKIMOS , IN THE ACCUSCATIVE CASE in the SINGULAR

UNTO God / THEOS , IN THE DATIVE CASE , in the SIGNULAR .

A WORKMAN / ERGATES in the ACCUSACTIVE CASE , in the SINGULAR

THAT NEEDED NOT TO BE ASHAMED / ANEPAISCHYNTOS , in the ACCUSCATIVE CASE , SINGULAR

RIGHTLY DIVIDING / ORTHOTOMEO , PRESENT TENSE , ACTIVE VOICE , PARTICIPLE , SINGULAR

THE / HO is a DEFINITE ARTICILE that points to the next Gree word .

WORD / LOGOS in the ACCUSCATIVE CASE , SINGIULAR

OF TRUTH / ALETHEIA , is in th GENITIVE CASE and is SINGULAR ..

So why do you have to rightly divide ?

There different Gospels

There are still 3 covenant , like the Palestinian , Davidic , and the New Covenant , yet to be put into operation .

There the differences between Israel and the BODY OF CHRIST

And the big DIVISION ON WATER BAPTISM , where the Greek BAPTISMA is used 22 times from Matthew thru Eph 4:5 .

Are you WATERING what Paul planted in 1 Cor 3:6-23 , and all the WORKS will be judged and it can be a loss of REWARDS , and CROWNS

And all our words will be judged at the BEMA SEAT.

dan p

Last edited:

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

STUDY / SPOUDOZO is in the AORIST TENSE , ACTIVE VOICE , IMPERATIVE MOOD , is a command to study .

THAT NEEDED NOT TO BE ASHAMED / ANEPAISCHYNTOS , in the ACCUSCATIVE CASE , SINGULAR

RIGHTLY DIVIDING / ORTHOTOMEO , PRESENT TENSE , ACTIVE VOICE , PARTICIPLE , SINGULAR

OF TERUTH / ALETHEIA , is in th GENITIVE CASE and is SINGULAR ..

There different Gospels

There are still 3 covenant , like the Palestinian , Davidic , and the New Covenant , yet to be put into operation .

And the big DIVISION ON WATER BAPTISM

Are you WATERING what Paul planted in 1 Cor 3:6-23 , and all the WORKS will be judged and it can be a loss of REWARDS , and CROWNS

dan p
The words rightly divide are the one Greek word orthotomeō ….which means - a right or perfect cutting.

The intrinsic nuance to this is …there is only one was to cut or divide the Word all other way(s) are wrong.

Everybody who reads the Word, divides it….the question becomes ….it is rightly divided.

I have my way….. which is to allow the Word of God to interpret itself in the verse the context or previous usage. In addition with the use of various keys and principles of language that I have developed.

If it’s the God inspired Word must fit together like an intercut jigsaw puzzle …without contradictions.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Rightly dividing the word of truth does not refer to cutting it up into small pieces so that some things are only true for certain groups of people or certain periods of times, but to using the word of truth as a sword to divide between what is true and what is not.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Rightly dividing the word of truth does not refer to cutting it up into small pieces so that some things are only true for certain groups of people or certain periods of times, but to using the word of truth as a sword to divide between what is true and what is not.
And I COULD say the same thing about Heb 4:12 BUT I believe that the writer of Hebrews was written by Paul to Israel and that all the other 13 epistle were written to the Body of Christ .

In 1 Cor 2:16 Paul writes by the HOLY SPIRIT , For who knew the Lord's mind ? who will Instruct Him ? But we have the MIND OF Christ ..

Remember what Paul PLANTED ( the DISPENSATION and the MYSTERY ) all will be in good shape >

dan p

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Spoudazo doesn't mean to study. Study is being interpreted from the context.

Spoudazo has the sense of being quick and can mean to put every effort into something - to be especially conscientious in discharging an obligation (BDAG).

The aorist tense is timeless and the matter of time - the type of time - is derived from the context and association with other verbs. Past time is its fallback interpretation.
Paristemi within its range means to present, to offer, to demonstrate. It's complementing the imperative spoudazo and thus is part of the command - Command: make every effort to present
Command: make every effort to present yourself
Dokimos is an interesting one. "Approved" is not very informative. Dokimos means to be genuine on the basis of testing; to be considered worthy of high regard; to be valuable. (BDAG). If we track this word through Scripture we can see it is related to the process of assaying a metal to determine its purity and thus value.

Command: make every effort to present yourself genuine/worthy of high regard/valuable
Command: make every effort to present yourself genuine/worthy of high regard/valuable to God
Command: make every effort to present yourself to God genuine/worthy of high regard/valuable - a worker/laborer
Adjective describing the worker.

Command: make every effort to present yourself to God genuine/worthy of high regard/valuable - an unashamed worker/laborer
As @sandman basically pointed out - the word means to cut a straight path (See Prov3:6) - it takes us into the concept of cutting a straight road so the traveler can get directly to his destination.

Because it's tied to the unashamed worker - coupled with spoudazo it's telling us how the worker can be unashamed.

Because it's next tied to the Word, it's associated by some to mean "study" and to accurately interpret. It's also from there associated by some with teaching correctly.

One of the things that should be picked up by the basic meaning is that there is a goal to all of this and the haste and diligence of the worker coupled with the straight path that get the traveler to the destination - to goal - quickly, should give us the sense of what God wants for us without delay. It also is a bit of a warning for not many becoming teachers (James3:1).

Command: make every effort to present yourself to God genuine/worthy of high regard/valuable - an unashamed worker/laborer [who is] cutting a straight path through/accurately interpreting and teaching

Command: make every effort to present yourself to God genuine/worthy of high regard/valuable - an unashamed worker/laborer [who is] cutting a straight path/accurately interpreting and teaching the Word

Logos can also mean "message"
OF TERUTH / ALETHEIA , is in th GENITIVE CASE and is SINGULAR ..
Command: make every effort to present yourself to God genuine/worthy of high regard/valuable - an unashamed worker/laborer [who is] cutting a straight path/accurately interpreting and teaching the Word ___ Truth.

This genitive typically translated with the fallback "of" actually has 33 (Greek Beyond the Basics by Daniel Wallace) different more detailed ways of translating it rather than inserting the ambiguous "of." Even looking up "of" in an English dictionary will provide some insight into this. It's telling us something about the relationship between Word/Message & Truth.
From the context, Because God desires us to go straight to the goal(s) He has set for us, and He has issued command to Shepherds and Teachers like Timothy to show us from His Word how to get there quickly without deviating.
There different Gospels

And the big DIVISION ON WATER BAPTISM

dan p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So , you agree with Solomon in 1 Kings 3:16-28 . and will you explain why wil help all know why ?

dan p

It was mostly a tongue in cheek answer, but I suppose Solomon's choice was to call for a literal division
which would have destroyed that which was being divided (a baby in his case)
Knowing that the true mother would be the one that loved it and would rather it be given to another than see it slain

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

this is followed by

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;
18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

So I assume it means to divide and discern heresy from truth when heresy is encountered and to know it for what it is.
Apart from that

1 Corinthians 1:10

10 I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree together, so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be united in mind and conviction.

the ideal state seems to be that there are no divisons once the heresy is discerned and removed (which is what put me in mind of Solomon at first - the ideal state for a baby is also one with no divisions)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was mostly a tongue in cheek answer, but I suppose Solomon's choice was to call for a literal division
which would have destroyed that which was being divided (a baby in his case)
Knowing that the true mother would be the one that loved it and would rather it be given to another than see it slain

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

this is followed by

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;
18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

So I assume it means to divide and discern heresy from truth when heresy is encountered and to know it for what it is.
Apart from that

1 Corinthians 1:10

10 I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree together, so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be united in mind and conviction.

the ideal state seems to be that there are no divisons once the heresy is discerned and removed (which is what put me in mind of Solomon at first - the ideal state for a baby is also one with no divisionsAnd
Not only Heresy but to only PLANT and WATER what the APOSTLE to the GENTILES taught to all believers to be in the FAITH 1 Tim 1:4 , and that is DISPENATIONALISM .

When anyone checks 1 Tim 1:4 the word EDIFYING is really the Greek word OIKONOMIA / DISPENSATION , so check and see !!

dan p

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When anyone checks 1 Tim 1:4 the word EDIFYING is really the Greek word OIKONOMIA / DISPENSATION , so check and see !!

Huh.

I'm sure there are some nuances here, but it might be a bit above my pay grade.
I guess you feel very strongly that I should be a Dispensationalist...

Let's pretend I was on the fence - what would an anti-Dispensationalist say to knock me off?
(I'm sure there are some out here, chime in and maybe I'll get a sense of the nuances)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Huh.

Let's pretend I was on the fence - what would an anti-Dispensationalist say to knock me off?
(I'm sure there are some out here, chime in and maybe I'll get a sense of the nuances)
If you KNOW what Rom 16:25 means and know what Paul PLANTED and how to WATER you will be UNMOVEABLE '

dan p

Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I admit I skim read the thread but am keen to get comment on 1 Cor 11:29

Sometimes translated 'rightly dividing' the Body of Christ.
And reading 1 Cor 11:21 some were takes his own supper in which to eat BEFORE others , and one indeed is HUNGRY and one is DRUNK and that verse 27 says is eating this BREAD or should DRINK the CUP of the Lord in an UNWORTHY MANNER will be guilty of the BODY and BLOOD of the Lord .

And verse 30 says that many are WEAK and SICK and a considerable are being put to SLEEP , means put to DEATH >

I would SAY it is a SIN UNTO DEATH !

And in 1 Cor 5:5 Paul deliver over to Satan for the DEATH OF THE FLESH

dan p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Huh.

If you are KEEPING the LAW OF MOSES and not following the APOSTLE Paul who is a DISPENSATIONALIST and wrote 1 Tim 1:4 and then says in 1 Cor 11:1 , You ( means all saved by GRACE ) BECOME IMITATORS of Me . JUST as I also ( AM ) OF Christ .

BELIEVE it or NOT is any ones CHOICE ??

dan p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you are KEEPING the LAW OF MOSES and not following the APOSTLE Paul who is a DISPENSATIONALIST and wrote 1 Tim 1:4 and then says in 1 Cor 11:1 , You ( means all saved by GRACE ) BECOME IMITATORS of Me . JUST as I also ( AM ) OF Christ .

Was there ANYTHING in the Law of MOSES regarding SPEAKING in intermittent CAPS? Or is that ONE of the REQUIREMENTS of this DISPENSATIONALIST thing? It's GOING to TAKE a WHILE to get the HANG of this THING and I have to be HONEST it might be a DEALBREAKER for ME.

• Haha
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was there ANYTHING in the Law of MOSES regarding SPEAKING in intermittent CAPS? Or is that ONE of the REQUIREMENTS of this DISPENSATIONALIST thing? It's GOING to TAKE a WHILE to get the HANG of this THING and I have to be HONEST it might be a DEALBREAKER for ME.
Gal 1:10 For IF I was still pleasing men , I could not be a slave of Christ !!

It is only Christ that we are to please ,it is your call , not mine !!

I use caps for emphasis , as you seem concerned by them ?

dan p

Upvote 0