UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe the basic idea here is that by loving the world, you will tend to ignore the important aspects which are not of the world, such as knowledge, understanding, and such: through love of the world you'll be subject to worldly understanding, and not attain what is important: Matthew 6:19-21, and as such: 1 Corinthians 7:32-34: the idea that you "cannot serve two masters": the more you get from one, the less you get from the other.

But the love of God toward the world does not have any such concern of causing shortcoming in knowledge and understanding, or, the heavenly things; since He is by nature the source of these.

• Agree
Reactions: Maria Yakobo
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Two different worlds are meant. God so loved the world- meaning people. Love not the world means to not love the world systems, or the way the world works.

Mrs. Lot was guilty of loving the world, because she looked back at Sodom. Lot was a judge and a man of standing. She probably didn't want to leave her city and go into the unknown without all their things and money. This is the world we are not to love. We're just passing through.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Celestial Warrior

Nov 19, 2016
sutton wv usa
✟8,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God so loved the world. . ., and Paul warned about not loving the world. What does Paul's warning mean, and how is it different than God's love for the world?
He means: Our Heavenly Father loved the creation and alll it's creations, that is the "world" being spoken of here. The world that Paul warned us about is the "system" and "ways" of the world: Greed, Lust, Revenge, Hate, Selfishness, etc...

Those things are the ways of the world and that is what we are not to love or be envious of desiring after...

• Agree
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
He means: Our Heavenly Father loved the creation and alll it's creations, that is the "world" being spoken of here. The world that Paul warned us about is the "system" and "ways" of the world: Greed, Lust, Revenge, Hate, Selfishness, etc...

Those things are the ways of the world and that is what we are not to love or be envious of desiring after...

Is this world, "greedy, lustful, vengeful, hateful, and selfish"?

Upvote 0

Celestial Warrior

Nov 19, 2016
sutton wv usa
✟8,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that you have fully described this world?
No, I think the Word of God will better describe what is going on in the world right now that God is not happy with and does not love:

2 Timothy 3:1-7

"This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No, I think the Word of God will better describe what is going on in the world right now that God is not happy with and does not love:

2 Timothy 3:1-7

"This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."

Are there any people in this world who enjoy life? Any there any who lead full lives, and are respected members of society?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Celestial Warrior

Nov 19, 2016
sutton wv usa
✟8,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are there any people in this world who enjoy life? Any there any who lead full lives, and are respected members of society?

Of course there are, and we are not to covet their lives, but be content with such things as we have.

1 TIMOTHY 6:7-10

"For we brought nothing into this world, and it iscertain we can carry nothing out.

And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows"

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Of course there are, and we are not to covet their lives, but be content with such things as we have.

1 TIMOTHY 6:7-10

"For we brought nothing into this world, and it iscertain we can carry nothing out.

And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows"

Did I say that I envy them?

Upvote 0

Celestial Warrior

Nov 19, 2016
sutton wv usa
✟8,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did I say that I envy them?
I LOVE YOUR AVATAR IT SO SUITS YOU. I'M SEEING YOU AS BUGS BUNNY RIGHT NOW, ASKING ME THESE QUESTIONS. YOU EVEN SEEM TO HAVE BUGS BUNNIES PERSONALITY. I'M LAUGHING TO MY SELF RIGHT NOW. YOUR GREAT!!!!

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I LOVE YOUR AVATAR IT SO SUITS YOU. I'M SEEING YOU AS BUGS BUNNY RIGHT NOW, ASKING ME THESE QUESTIONS. YOU EVEN SEEM TO HAVE BUGS BUNNIES PERSONALITY. I'M LAUGHING TO MY SELF RIGHT NOW. YOUR GREAT!!!!

I am very much like Bugs. You are clever to see the similarities.

Now, when you are done laughing, I drew this out to make a point. I disagree with you.

The "world" and its systems are not as you describe. If they were then no one would be fooled into following along. There are many good things - good, God-given things that we all enjoy.

Upvote 0

Celestial Warrior

Nov 19, 2016
sutton wv usa
✟8,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am very much like Bugs. You are clever to see the similarities.

Now, when you are done laughing, I drew this out to make a point. I disagree with you.

The "world" and its systems are not as you describe. If they were then no one would be fooled into following along. There are many good things - good, God-given things that we all enjoy.
The world is both good and evil, however the evil is presently tipping the scales and leaning towards the evil I mentioned before. But I agree there are indeed many good things that God has blessed this world with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The world is both good and evil, however the evil is presently tipping the scales and leaning towards the evil I mentioned before. But I agree there are indeed many good things that God has blessed this world with.

Wine
Children
Marriage
sex
work
gardening
conversation
sleep
hiking
weddings
falling in love
hugs
kisses
travel
serving
sharing one's faith
singing
Christmas
Christmas music
reading
laughing
long drives
mountains
lakes
rivers
the sound of crickets
the sound of waves lapping the shore
Mozart
Bach
Shopin
Oscar Peterson
Foie Gras
Watching humming birds
butterflies
puppies
roasted bone marrow
good friends

Did I mention wine?

That list took 60 seconds to think of. Give me a few hours, and I could fill a book.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Celestial Warrior

Nov 19, 2016
sutton wv usa
✟8,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wine
Children
Marriage
sex
work
gardening
conversation
sleep
hiking
weddings
falling in love
hugs
kisses
travel
serving
sharing one's faith
singing
Christmas
Christmas music
reading
laughing
long drives
mountains
lakes
rivers
the sound of crickets
Mozart
Bach
Shopin
Oscar Peterson
Foie Gras
Watching humming birds
butterflies
puppies
roasted bone marrow
good friends

Did I mention wine?

That list took 60 seconds to think of. Give me a few hours, and I would fill a book.

Upvote 0

Celestial Warrior

Nov 19, 2016
sutton wv usa
✟8,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wine
Children
Marriage
sex
work
gardening
conversation
sleep
hiking
weddings
falling in love
hugs
kisses
travel
serving
sharing one's faith
singing
Christmas
Christmas music
reading
laughing
long drives
mountains
lakes
rivers
the sound of crickets
Mozart
Bach
Shopin
Oscar Peterson
Foie Gras
Watching humming birds
butterflies
puppies
roasted bone marrow
good friends

Did I mention wine?

That list took 60 seconds to think of. Give me a few hours, and I would fill a book.

I know that all of those things are wonderful Gifts that God has bestowed, but life is not always a party and we are required to suffer with our Lord Jesus Christ, not just enjoy the fruits of our labor and constant blessings -loving this world and all it's things.

2 Timothy 2:11,12
It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:

If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

TRIALS, SUFFERING AND PERSECUTION STRENGTHEN A BELIEVERS FAITH, NOT JUST THE WIDE GATE OF WONDERFUL THINGS IN THE WORLD, WHICH TAKE US AWAY FROM RELYING ON OUR LORD JESUS AND OUR HEAVENLY FATHER AND REPLACE THEM WITH THE LOVE OF THIS WORLD - THE WIDE GATE WHICH LEADS TO DESTRUCTION:

1 PETER 1:6-9
"Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:

That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls."

Reactions: Jenniferdiana
Upvote 0