What does it mean to become Lutheran? Should I become Lutheran?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I was baptized at age 2 1/2 in the United Methodist Church, confirmed there at age 10. I was made at catechumen in the Orthodox Church at age 35, but left the church after years of spiritual abuse and ridiculous legalistic demands placed upon me (I tend to blame the priest more than the religion, but then again the religion turned out the priest).

I have been attending an ELCA church off and on for the past year and a half. The church has open communion and the pastor knows my situation, that I am a victim of spiritual abuse. I have trouble with aspects of traditional Lutheranism as stated in the historic Lutheran confessions, specifically the denial of universal salvation, and several other points- and I also find the harsh anti-Catholicism tone offputting. Plus, I'm still basically Orthodox at heart, even though I find this particular Lutheran church closest to what I was exposed to in Eastern Orthodoxy.

Nevertheless, knowing these issues... the pastor keeps encouraging me to attend classes to become a Lutheran. I feel like he doesn't really appreciate the pain I have been through, or the difficulty that saying "yes" to yet another religious belief system would entail. The pastor insists its important to subscribe to the Lutheran confessions and to understand them, even though I feel the only thing that should bind my conscience is the Holy Spirit and the Bible. So, I have stopped attending for several months. But I am reconsidering my decision.

Should I become a Lutheran? Is it OK to attend the church and never become a Lutheran? Is there some problem with being a "friend of Lutheranism" without actually being a Lutheran?

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟24,848.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm surprised you hear harsh anti-Catholicism in an ELCA church. And at the same time that the ELCA still mandates the Athanasian Creed for belief? You don't need to make any apologies, you're theoretically more welcome at the ELCA church than that pastor is.

• Agree
Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't hear harsh anti-Catholicism in parish per se (far from it, what gave you that idea?) but I have read the Augsburg Confession and the Formula of Concord and there is a great deal of anti-Catholic polemics in there that I do not like, as well as harsh rhetoric against universalists and Baptists that I can't stomach. I understand the historical context but still... I don't live in the 16th century so why am I bound by those prejudices?

The Athanasian Creed is still used once a year I think in many ELCA churches. As a former eastern orthodox Christian, I just don't see it as ecumenical (ask Cappadocious some time about the meaning of the word in the historical sense, it refers to something that was shared by all orthodox Christians during the time of the Roman Empire), nor was it written by Athanasius. I accept the Apostles Creed and Nicene Creed.

Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟24,848.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I myself wish the ELCA did not use the Athanasian Creed (it's solely Western in origin), and the ELCA is less committed to the Book of Concord than the other Lutherans are. For myself I focus on the Augsburg Confession and the Apology by Melanchthon, both of which are defenses of the Catholicism of Lutheranism.

Upvote 0

hurdygurdy

Mar 17, 2017
Idaho
✟16,175.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well I know a bunch of American presidents attended churches without becoming members. I don't see anything wrong with that (my personal opinion, anyways). I guess the reason I never went 100% away from Lutheranism (I once thought about going to Eastern Orthodoxy for a long time) is the food after the services and the traditional service. If the ELCA only offered contemporary services I would stop being a Lutheran - plain as day. It may be odd to think of food and music as the reason to stay - but it genuinely is the closest thing to a home-church that my evangelical and nondenominational friends talk about in my situation. Everyone there goes to church, gives their tithe, takes the communion, goes to the bible study if you don't have to make food at home, and then you talk before the pastor goes into the next service. It's a staffed church so the doors to the sanctuary are open during the week - I go there when no one is there to pray. It's nice to have a church with a beautiful cross to look at and spill the beans on your life to the Almighty. I figure these are things lots of churches have. The biggest thing about the ELCA is the cultural heritage for me as well. I'm German-American and so it is a great way for me to be something other than a general American. I'm not too big on the German heritage - but I am big on my Lutheran distinctives. I don't ponder the strictures of theology much either, so I guess that helps out quite a bit. I now the generalities of the communion and the hymns and the big stories of the Bible. For me I love the ELCA because you go to church, and there's ways to help out. Plus having access to the ELCA credit union and Thrivent Financial insurance and mutual funds is a big plus. The church takes care of you and your family, and you join an extended global family of folks who help other folks out to the best of their abilities. We all believe (for the most part) in God and Savior. What makes it nice is the Lutheran focus on "Saint and Sinner" theology which is one thing that has always made sense to me. While I appreciated Eastern Ortodoxy for the reality of a Heavenly Experience during Divine Liturgy, I've always felt I could have gotten a beer with Martin Luther and had a good time. Anyways hope this ramble helps out some. I'd say see if there's another ELCA church in your area to get some perspective. It took me three times to find one that was the best part of distance, pastor, and service.

Upvote 0

John Yurich

Apr 19, 2017
Upper Middle West
✟16,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was baptized at age 2 1/2 in the United Methodist Church, confirmed there at age 10. I was made at catechumen in the Orthodox Church at age 35, but left the church after years of spiritual abuse and ridiculous legalistic demands placed upon me (I tend to blame the priest more than the religion, but then again the religion turned out the priest).

I have been attending an ELCA church off and on for the past year and a half. The church has open communion and the pastor knows my situation, that I am a victim of spiritual abuse. I have trouble with aspects of traditional Lutheranism as stated in the historic Lutheran confessions, specifically the denial of universal salvation, and several other points- and I also find the harsh anti-Catholicism tone offputting. Plus, I'm still basically Orthodox at heart, even though I find this particular Lutheran church closest to what I was exposed to in Eastern Orthodoxy.

Nevertheless, knowing these issues... the pastor keeps encouraging me to attend classes to become a Lutheran. I feel like he doesn't really appreciate the pain I have been through, or the difficulty that saying "yes" to yet another religious belief system would entail. The pastor insists its important to subscribe to the Lutheran confessions and to understand them, even though I feel the only thing that should bind my conscience is the Holy Spirit and the Bible. So, I have stopped attending for several months. But I am reconsidering my decision.

Should I become a Lutheran? Is it OK to attend the church and never become a Lutheran? Is there some problem with being a "friend of Lutheranism" without actually being a Lutheran?
If you wish to become Lutheran then become Lutheran. I would never become Lutheran as I don't wish to be Protestant. I wish to remain Catholic.

Upvote 0