Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi all. The title of this post comes from a verse in Revelation 3 where Jesus criticizes some people for being neither hot nor cold (i.e. lukewarm) and that such lukewarmness makes him vomit (though the text describes it as being spewed from God's mouth).

I've heard this phrase in various church circles but there never seems to be any clear example of what this actually means? Like, how do you know when you, or someone else, is being luke warm? I feel like I've found a few answers along the way though it's sometimes tricky. I've caught myself making excuses at times, but then that makes me wondering what are the times when I've made excuses but did not catch myself. Anyway, I'd like to hear what others think about this topic.

John Helpher

John 3:16
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
its someone who says they are a christian and doesn't try to follow him and just does their own stuff but still confess they are of god

Thanks for sharing these thoughts, JM. It is my experience that people are rarely taught what it means to follow him. For example, did you know Jesus said we should not make promises for any reason?

Upvote 0

sportsfan

Dec 4, 2019
Cottonwood
✟20,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for sharing these thoughts, JM. It is my experience that people are rarely taught what it means to follow him. For example, did you know Jesus said we should not make promises for any reason?

I truly believe it is wanting to conform to the world Satan runs the world it is Vanity Fair like from Pilgrims Progress and I was nearly engulfed in the trap Jesus was my friend I hope would never leave and I wanted Heaven but the closeness we had started to break apart when I started to script read and write and started dreaming constantly of the world and making it big in the World it distracted me from my true calling of being the next Billy Graham I was lukewarm and then God intervened with Buspar and going to the Hospital and my blasphemous OCD thoughts took over and I was no longer in control of my life and I needed Jesus more and I finally submitted to being a pastor then Satan magically showed up in a Yellow Cross pretending to be Jesus and know he says ha you failed your evil now can't be a pastor your Jesus enemy doubt Jesus your damned loser Antichrist but then Jesus showed up again and told I am still your friend John 10 and John 6 prove Jesus never leaves and forsakes his own children to Satan it is impossible and contradicts the Bible Jesus reminded me I will still be a Pastor on fire for Jesus and we are still friends and he will rapture me in his timing and he told me ignore the blue light your the next Billy Graham so no I learned Lukewarm and saw life in the World and Hell and Jesus intervened again so now I see Heaven the World needs to be warned Jesus is real and Hell is real there is only two choices in eternity. Make your choice carefully.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,403,914.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi all. The title of this post comes from a verse in Revelation 3 where Jesus criticizes some people for being neither hot nor cold (i.e. lukewarm) and that such lukewarmness makes him vomit (though the text describes it as being spewed from God's mouth).

I've heard this phrase in various church circles but there never seems to be any clear example of what this actually means? Like, how do you know when you, or someone else, is being luke warm? I feel like I've found a few answers along the way though it's sometimes tricky. I've caught myself making excuses at times, but then that makes me wondering what are the times when I've made excuses but did not catch myself. Anyway, I'd like to hear what others think about this topic.

Think of it in terms of tea. Hot tea is therapeutic. Cold tea is refreshing. Tepid tea is just nasty. It is neither therapeutic nor refreshing. God is about purity.Either live by grace or keep the whole of the law (which nobody can do successfully). Do not try mixing grace and the law. It does not work.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
For any coffee drinkers out there think of it this way: Coffee is delicious when it is piping hot, coffee is also delicious when it is ice cold. But ever tried drinking room temperature coffee? It's disgusting, you immediately want to spit it out, it's gross. And that's the thing here, see cold water is great it's refreshing, it quenches thirst; and hot water? Well hot water is also great, boil water and it is useful. But lukewarm, room temperature water? It's just gross, it's unpalatable and useless.

Think about other things Jesus says in the Gospels, He calls His people to be salt and light. Salt is useful and good, it adds flavor, it preserves food, but if salt loses its saltiness, all the qualities of salt then it's useless. What good is salt if it loses its saltiness? And light, light is only good when it shines, what good is a light if you cover it up and hide it?

So how did those in Laodicea become lukewarm? They've become useless, they think they are prosperous but they really aren't. Perhaps those at Laodicea weren't suffering like those in the other churches in Asia, they had become complacent and comfortable, they aren't suffering and seem to be doing, well, actually quite well for themselves. Jesus says to them, "Buy from Me gold refined by fire", rather than boasting in their comfort, it would in fact be better that they desire to be put through the refining fire, to become good and useful again. The other churches to whom the Revelation is addressed all have their share of problems, and yet it is the Laodiceans who seemingly have no problems; they aren't being persecuted, there don't appear to be heretics like the Nicolaitans running amok like in Pergamum and Ephesus. Indeed, in the letter we are told that they are prosperous, at least in their own eyes; and it seems to be this seeming prosperity that is, in fact, their poverty. Yes, the other churches are laboring under persecution, and struggling and fighting against internal threats such as heretics; but at least they're fighting the fight. In Laodicea? They're just, well, there. Like a glass of water left to sit out all day and when you go to take a drink it seems rather inoffensive and benign, but when you drink it it's just, well it's just gross actually.

When we find ourselves in a place of ease, we can go about our lives, seemingly inoffensive, comfortable. It's easy to be a Christian when everything is going well, nothing is threatening us. We might think that this is how it should be and so we grow comfortable with being comfortable. And yet, what about those who do suffer? And what should happen if, having grown so comfortable in our comfort we were to suddenly be thrust into a place of discomfort.

How easy it can be, to be so comfortable, that when something actually bad does happen in our lives we get angry at God, how could He do this to us, after all. As though we are even owed comfort in this life. As though being comfortable in this world is a given and we should not have to deal with what so many others have to deal with on a regular basis. There are starving people all around the world, but we have food in our bellies, and because we are full we may not even give thought about those who are starving; and then suddenly when we have no food, then how dare this happen to us. Your neighbor was hungry this whole time, and you had enough to fill your belly, why were you never impassioned by the suffering of your neighbor? You've heard the words of Christ, you know what His commandments are, you know what He says to you about being His disciple--and yet, you were comfortable. I was comfortable. We are comfortable. We think we are prosperous in this, but we are the ones who are actually poor. We have forgotten our first love.

It's not a hopeless situation of course, Jesus says, "I stand at the door and knock." He never left us, He's been there the entire time. The Laodiceans may have shut Him out, but He never left. That is good news here. Christ is always with us, He is always faithful even when we have become faithless.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It is a play on words describing someone who is not doing the things he is supposed to do. Jesus said "I know your works..."

Near the town of Laodicea there was a hot spring, and an aqueduct was built to carry water to the city. By the time it got there it was no longer hot but lukewarm. It wasn't hot enough for a therapeutic bath, but wasn't cool enough for drinking. Laodicea was known for its water that wasn't quite good enough for anything at all.

The Laodiceans, by losing their zeal for feeding the poor, tending to the sick, caring for widows and orphans, etc., had become "lukewarm", i.e., "good for nothing", and were near to being rejected entirely.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I think being lukewarm is like being someone who doesn't believe but doesn't disbelieve like they don't give it much thought because they don't find it relevant to their lives. Hypochristians could fit in this category. If I sit in my garage every Sunday, that doesn't make me a car.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I think being lukewarm is like being someone who doesn't believe but doesn't disbelieve like they don't give it much thought because they don't find it relevant to their lives. Hypochristians could fit in this category. If I sit in my garage every Sunday, that doesn't make me a car.

Hi Jaxxi. Thanks for sharing that post. I think your explanation about those professing Christians who don't give it much thought is pretty accurate. That seems to be the case with so many of Jesus' teachings; they just don't think about what it means.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
its someone who says they are a christian and doesn't try to follow him and just does their own stuff but still confess they are of god

I've talked to a lot of Christians who seem to know very little about what Jesus actually taught. The most common belief regarding Christianity is that you say a prayer asking Jesus into your heart, believe that he died on the cross for you, and then you're all good. You attend church as much or as little as you'd like, think about reading the bible every now and then, perform a few rituals along the way (like baptism or communion) and that's pretty much it. Life carries on as normal for the most part.

But if you read Jesus' teachings carefully you'll see this lifestyle is quite different from what he taught, so in the end it seems people want the salvation but they do not want the discipline.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Near the town of Laodicea there was a hot spring, and an aqueduct was built to carry water to the city. By the time it got there it was no longer hot but lukewarm. It wasn't hot enough for a therapeutic bath, but wasn't cool enough for drinking. Laodicea was known for its water that wasn't quite good enough for anything at all.

Hi HT. Thanks for sharing this interpretation; I'd not heard it before.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You've heard the words of Christ, you know what His commandments are, you know what He says to you about being His disciple--and yet, you were comfortable. I was comfortable. We are comfortable. We think we are prosperous in this, but we are the ones who are actually poor. We have forgotten our first love.

Hi VC. Thanks for sharing these thoughts. I noticed in your post that you referred often to the Laodiceans but also kinda shared the lessons in general, though the switching back and forth seemed a little confusing. I mean that it's easy to see how the Laodiceans messed up, but is it just a lesson for them?

You referenced the saltiness of Jesus' teachings in a way that sounds good, but I wonder how practical the lesson is. For example, in that same chapter where Jesus talks about watering-down the salt (and thus it loses it's power) he does so just after declaring that anyone who wants to be hid disciple must forsake all he has. He said this to a rich young ruler, yes (and people often cite the rich, young ruler as a means of explaining that Jesus directed this teaching only to that one person), but in the salt example, the context is that of him talking to a large group of people. Even in the rich, young ruler example Peter says, "We have also forsaken all to follow you..." so it's clear that this teaching wasn't just for this one person.

And yet, I've heard so many Christians do exactly what Jesus says they should not do with his salt; they water it down by coming up with all kinds of explanations as to why Jesus did not really mean that one must forsake all he has to be his disciple.

In that same chapter (luke 14) where Jesus talks about the salt, he also tells a parable about counting the cost of following him. The lesson of the parable is that it would be foolish for people to start a project without understanding what it takes to complete the project. This can be applied to Christianity where people want salvation; they like all of Jesus' happy talk about a Kingdom in Heaven and a God of love etc, but they do not consider the cost; everything including your job, material possessions, your family, your reputation, and even your life; all of it.

I believe this is why Jesus asked, "Why do you call me, 'Lord' but do not obey me"? These people thought they wanted to be his follower, but they had not counted the cost.

So, here on this thread, on this forum, have we counted the cost? Are we prepared to do what Jesus said despite how salty the teaching is? Or, will we come up with reasons for why we don't need to follow the same example Jesus' original disciples followed?

Upvote 0