Arcadia
✟197,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
#1 There is IN CHRIST JESUS --47 TIMES . This is our Lord's resurrected NAME .

#2 IN the Lord --41 times

#3 In Christ --31 times

#4 In HIM --20 TIMES

#5 IN THE LORD JESUS --6 TIMES

#6 IN WHOM --6 TIMES

#7 IN JESUS --1 TIME

#8 IN HIMSELF --2 TIMES

#9 IN THE BELOVED --1 TIME

Many of these subjects are DOCTRINAL , with 62 sub-categories

Then there are 49 PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS '

ABOUND MORE , 1 Thess 4:1

APPROVED --Rom 16:10

BE STRONG --Eph 6:10 , Phil 4:13 , 2 Tim 2:1

I believe this a very important subject to BE IN CHRIST !!

What say you ??

dan p

Last edited:

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

#3 In Christ --31 times

#4 In HIM --20 TIMES

#6 IN WHOM --6 TIMES

#7 IN JESUS --1 TIME

#8 IN HIMSELF --2MM TIMES

Many of these subjects are al DOCTRINAL , with 62 sub-categories

What say you ??

dan p
Dan ... Not looking for conflict just curious which Bible version you have.....
I have been working a couple of these phrases and I have different numbers ... like for - In Christ I have 76.
I use the KJV ...If you have a different version would you let me know so I can compare .....

Part of my study was seeing how In Christ or In Jesus starts at Pentecost and terminates prior to the events of Revelation.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many good ways to say it: to fix our gaze upon Him, to abide with Him, to abide in His Word, to remain on the Vine (such a key important message in John 15).

To listen to Him, to His Words to us in the gospels. If we listen with all of our heart/mind, we can take His words inside us, and keep them in us, as part of ourselves. If we look to Him, we can follow Him, and if we keep our eyes on Him, we are far less likely to stumble.

And that's from the gospels. We can also read the wonderful passages in Romans, such as in Romans chapters 6 and 8.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

#3 In Christ --31 times

#4 In HIM --20 TIMES

#6 IN WHOM --6 TIMES

#7 IN JESUS --1 TIME

#8 IN HIMSELF --2 TIMES

Many of these subjects are DOCTRINAL , with 62 sub-categories

What say you ??

dan p
The only way to be " in Christ" is if He is in you through His Holy Spirit.
Blessings.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been working a couple of these phrases and I have different numbers ... like for - In Christ I have 76.
I use the KJV ...If you have a different version would you let me know so I can compare .....

Part of my study was seeing how In Christ or In Jesus starts at Pentecost and terminates prior to the events of Revelation.
I also use the KJV that has been translated by ROBERT C BROCK , who is now deceased .

God's plan for Israel contains nothing like what we have today in this AGE of Grace .

Reading about the many doctrines associated with " in Christ " is like reading a book on Pauline theology .

Kingdom teaching are insignificant , paltry , meaningless when put next to Pauline teachings , BUT this what the majority of believers are being taught . No wonder the B O C is so weak spiritually , with no spiritual power to overcome the world .

What does 76 , mean ? Are counting 47 times for In Christ Jesus . and adding " in Christ " 29 and you come to the number 76 instead of 47 + 31 =76 ?

dan p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Read 1 Cor 12 :13----27 , and then reply ?

dan p

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I also use the KJV that has been translated by ROBERT C BROCK , who is now deceased .

God's plan for Israel contains nothing like what we have today in this AGE of Grace .

Reading about the many doctrines associated with " in Christ " is like rearing a book on Pauline theology .

Kingdom teaching are insignificant , paltry , meaningless when put next to Pauline teachings , BUT this what the majority of believers are being taught . No wonder the B O C is so weak spiritually , with no spiritual power to overcome the world .

What does 76 , mean ? Are counting 47 times for In Christ Jesus . and adding " in Christ " 29 and you come to the number 76 instead of 47 + 31 =76 ?

dan p

I will recheck my count ... the totals were from a while ago and I very well could be in error.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Read 1 Cor 12 :13----27 , and then reply ?

dan p

I did mess up ...My search was for in Christ ...which included several In Christ Jesus...
My study was not as extensive as your .... my parameters were In Jesus.. and in Christ ...

My numbers are still a bit different. I have 3 in Jesus which I will post ... Your 47 "in Christ Jesus" is spot on. But I differ slightly on "in Christ" I have 37 as opposed to your 31 .... Happy to send in msg if you would like, as I don't know which six they are.

In Jesus

1Th 4:14, Eph 4:21,
Rom 3:26

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

WHAT DOES IT MEAN " TO BE IN CHRIST " ?

My favorite question when dealing with any Scripture: "What does it mean?" Don't just memorize it. Be able to explain it.

Since you're looking at statistics, I searched The New Testament in the Original Greek, Byzantine Text Form, 2005, by Robinson and Pierpont. The wording "ev" + the dative form of "Christos" is used 77 times. 3x in 1 Peter, 1x in Revelation, the rest are in Paul's writings. This Greek wording is the most literal for "in Christ". If I go to an English translation, the NKJ shows 87 instances of "in Christ" in the NT. So, there will be other Greek prepositions or wording in use and possibly some nuances in meaning to be looked at. IOW, if I'm translating, I attempt to be as literal as possible, even if it doesn't always make simple sense in English, so I can read English and be aware of differences in the Greek.

I'd begin by looking at the lexical meaning of "en" which is mostly translated as "in" but as with most Greek words, there is more than this simplicity.

Firstly, one way to look at Greek prepositions is spatially. If we draw a circle, so we have the inside and outside of this circle, en is being inside of it. The other prepositions say something different. For example, eis most simply means "into" and we would draw a line from outside to inside to show the movement from out to in. Interestingly, when John says "believe in Christ" he typically uses "eis" which looking simply and spatially would show a transition from unbelief to belief - from being outside to inside (en). This spatial concept can begin to inform us what it means to be "in Christ".

From there I'd go to the Greek Lexicons to see what this word en can mean. This will be lengthy, but the possible meanings for this simple preposition per BAGD Greek Lexicon are shown below, Due to posting limitations I'm going to paste just the headings:

You'll find in this instance this Lexicon will explain what "in Christ" means. Personally, and it's not just me, but I don't rely on Lexicons to make doctrinal conclusions. Some of them can have a theological bias that will reveal itself. The translator or interpreter need to determine from language, grammar, context, historical culture, and analyzing all the ways God uses the word in Scripture, what the word and phrase means. We see from the Lexicon that even if we translate this word as "in" there will be different nuances as to what "in" means. Many times, the writer may use some form of grammar or structure like parallelism to help define a word or phrase. Also, in the Bible, other teachings covering the topic may add information to refine the meaning. So, the translator or interpreter will need to pick these things up and refine the lexical definition to incorporate it and bring out the actual meaning. Even if one does not know Greek, I'd bet the spatial concept and choosing from the Lexical information below can provide information that begins to provide meaning to the phrase "in Christ".

ἐν preposition from ἐν

[BDAG] ἐν
• ἐν prep. w. dat. (Hom.+). For lit. s. ἀνά and εἰς, beg. For special NT uses s. AOepke, TW II 534-39. The uses of this prep. are so many and various, and oft. so easily confused, that a strictly systematic treatment is impossible. It must suffice to list the main categories, which will help establish the usage in individual cases. The earliest auditors/readers, not being inconvenienced by grammatical and lexical debates, would readily absorb the context and experience little difficulty.

1. marker of a position defined as being in a location, in, among (the basic idea, Rob. 586f)

a. of the space or place within which someth. is found, in:

b. on ἐν τῷ ὄρει (X., An. 4, 3, 31; Diod. S. 14, 16, 2 λόφος ἐν ᾧ=a hill on which; Jos., Ant. 12, 259; Just., D. 67, 9 ἐν ὄρει Χωρήβ) J 4:20f; Hb 8:5 (Ex 25:40). ἐν τῇ ἀγορᾷ in the market Mt 20:3. ἐν τῇ ὁδῷ on the way Mt 5:25. ἐν πλαξίν on tablets 2 Cor 3:3. ἐν ταῖς γωνίαις τῶν πλατειῶν on the street corners Mt 6:5.

c. within the range of, at, near

d. among, in

e. before, in the presence of, etc.

f. esp. to describe certain processes, inward:

2. marker of a state or condition, in

a. of being clothed and metaphors assoc. with such condition in, with

b. of other states and conditions

3. marker of extension toward a goal that is understood to be within an area or condition, into: ἐν is somet. used w. verbs of motion where εἰς would normally be expected wers to the question ‘whither’ (B-D-F §215, 3) Mt 10:16; Lk 10:3; 8:7.

4. marker of close association within a limit, in

a. fig., of pers., to indicate the state of being filled w. or gripped by someth.: in someone=in one’s innermost being

b. of the whole, w. which the parts are closely joined:

c. esp. in Paul. or Joh. usage, to designate a close personal relation in which the referent of the ἐν-term is viewed as the controlling influence: under the control of, under the influence of, in close association with

5. marker introducing means or instrument, with, a construction that begins w. Homer

a. it can serve to introduce persons or things that accompany someone to secure an objective: ‘along with’

α. pers., esp. of a military force, w. blending of associative (s. 4) and instrumental idea

β. impers. (oft. LXX; PTebt 41, 5 [c. 119 BC]; 16, 14 [114 BC]; 45, 17 al., where people rush into the village or the house

b. it can serve to express means or instrumentality in terms of location for a specific action

6.marker of agency: with the help of

7. marker of circumstance or condition under which someth. takes place:

8. marker denoting the object to which someth. happens or in which someth. shows itself, or by which someth. is recognized, to, by, in connection with:

9. marker of cause or reason, because of, on account of

a. gener. ἁγιάζεσθαι ἔν τινι Hb 10:10; 1 Cor 7:14. ἐν τ. ἐπιθυμίαις τῶν καρδιῶν Ro 1:24; perh. ἐν Ἰσαὰκ κληθήσεταί σοι σπέρμα 9:7; Hb 11:18 (both Gen 21:12). ἐν τῇ πολυλογίᾳ αὐτῶν because of their many words Mt 6:7. ἐν τούτῳ πιστεύομεν this is the reason why we believe J 16:30; cp. Ac 24:16; 1 Cor 4:4 (Just., D. 68, 7 οὐχὶ καὶ ἐν τούτῳ δυσωπήσω ὑμᾶς μὴ πείθεσθαι τοῖς διδασκάλοις ὑμῶν=‘surely you will be convinced by this [argument] to lose confidence in your teachers, won’t you?’); perh. 2 Cor 5:2. Sim., of the occasion: ἔφυγεν ἐν τῷ λόγῳ τούτῳ at this statement Ac 7:29; cp. 8:6. W. attraction ἐν ᾧ = ἐν τούτῳ ὅτι for the reason that = because Ro 8:3; Hb 2:18; 6:17.

b. w. verbs that express feeling or emotion, to denote that toward which the feeling is directed;

10.marker of a period of time, in, while, when

a. indicating an occurrence or action within which, at a certain point, someth. occurs

b. point of time when someth. occurs

c. to introduce an activity whose time is given when, while, during

11. marker denoting kind and manner, esp. functioning as an auxiliary in periphrasis for adverbs

12. marker of specification or substance:

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Col 1:18 reads , And He is the head of the body .

What is that IMPLYING , that HE is the HEAD of the BODY ?

Who makes up the other PARTS of that BODY ?

1 Cor 12:14-24 says that we are the PARTS of that BODY .

Can't we says we PART of the BODY OF CHRIST and that Christ is the HEAD ?

Can we says , then that we are IN CHRIST and have been given the right to GOVERN the UNIVERSE and to also govern ANGELS , IN 1 Cor 6:2 and 3 ,

So where is the NEW COVENANT in the B O C ?

dan p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you. What purpose are you working on?

My purpose is a bit simpler that what the OP was constructing …
You may or may not adhere to this doctrine ….either way is fine It is something I have studied and just recently noticed how The “ in Christ” or “in Christ Jesus” and “in Jesus” or “in Jesus Christ” are only used in regards to the period of the administration (dispensation) of grace. The one body of Christ.

In conjunction with that... is the Temple …not just the temple, but the holy of holies “naos” which is how we as the body of Christ (a group of, or the entire body) are referenced. ONLY throughout this administration of grace….it then reverts back to the structure in Revelation.

Naos 1Co 3:16, 1Co 3:17, 1Co 6:19, 2Co 6:16, Eph 2:21, Act 17:24, Act 7:48,

As Individual believers we are reference as the tabernacle throughout the administration of grace which again changes back to the structural in Revelation…

2Co 5:1, 2Co 5:4, skēnos 2Pe 1:13, 2Pe 1:14 skēnōma Heb 8:2, Heb 9:11, skēnē

As one who adheres to the “gathering together unto Him” (aka rapture) all of the aforementioned terms cease with the coming of the Christ for the church of God, the body of Christ.

The “rapture” is or will be the culmination of the administration of grace …and the beginning of sorrows Revelation will start.

All of the prophecies from the OT and those which Jesus spoke of in the gospels will begin…. As they would have previously….. had God not slipped in the great mystery (secret) the administration of Grace which was kept hidden in God.

Like I stated ….no real depth to this just seeing how the Word aligns.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may or may not adhere to this doctrine ….either way is fine It is something I have studied and just recently noticed how The “ in Christ” or “in Christ Jesus” and “in Jesus” or “in Jesus Christ” are only used in regards to the period of the administration (dispensation) of grace. The one body of Christ.

In conjunction with that... is the Temple …not just the temple, but the holy of holies “naos” which is how we as the body of Christ (a group of, or the entire body) are referenced. ONLY throughout this administration of grace….it then reverts back to the structure in Revelation.

Naos 1Co 3:16, 1Co 3:17, 1Co 6:19, 2Co 6:16, Eph 2:21, Act 17:24, Act 7:48,

As Individual believers we are reference as the tabernacle throughout the administration of grace which again changes back to the structural in Revelation…

2Co 5:1, 2Co 5:4, skēnos 2Pe 1:13, 2Pe 1:14 skēnōma Heb 8:2, Heb 9:11, skēnē

As one who adheres to the “gathering together unto Him” (aka rapture) all of the aforementioned terms cease with the coming of the Christ for the church of God, the body of Christ.

The “rapture” is or will be the culmination of the administration of grace …and the beginning of sorrows Revelation will start.

All of the prophecies from the OT and those which Jesus spoke of in the gospels will begin…. As they would have previously….. had God not slipped in the great mystery (secret) the administration of Grace which was kept hidden in God.

Like I stated ….no real depth to this just seeing how the Word aligns.
Rom 11:25 is where Christ begins says , THAT , when the dispensation of the Grace is where the HARDNESS of Israel UNTIL the Fulness ( from ) may come in .

Then in verse 26 , so all Israel will be saved ,

dan p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Actually, that is not correct, you can be in Christ without being in the Body of Christ.

John 15:4-8
Romans 16:7

But those of us in the Body of Christ are automatically in Christ.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Actually, that is not correct, you can be in Christ without being in the Body of Christ.

John 15:4-8
Romans 16:7

But those of us in the Body of Christ are automatically in Christ.
Although it has never happened before ….I will not dismiss the possibility of me being wrong.

~And that is a joke~ …………of coarse I could be wrong ….but not God or His Word.

If you check the context and wording of Jhn 15:1-11 ….it is all conditional on abiding in Him …. or not abiding in Him.
In the Epistles (after Pentecost) it is only conditional based on our acceptance of Christ which God accepted on our behalf….and it’s permanent.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Although it has never happened before ….I will not dismiss the possibility of me being wrong.

~And that is a joke~ …………of coarse I could be wrong ….but not God or His Word.

If you check the context and wording of Jhn 15:1-11 ….it is all conditional on abiding in Him …. or not abiding in Him.
In the Epistles (after Pentecost) it is only conditional based on our acceptance of Christ which God accepted on our behalf….and it’s permanent.
The book of John is , it written to the B O C or is it written to Israel ?

In verse 6 , If a man ABIDE , Not in me , he is cast forth as a branch , and is is withered , and men gather them and CAST them into the FIRE , and they are BURNED .
Gal 3:28 says when we are " in Christ " the Greek word ARE is in the PRESENT TENSE , PASSIVE VOICE , and is in the INDICATIVE MOOD and that means it is a FACT .

Then Guojing wrote about Rom 16: 7 of those who were in Christ BEFORE ME !!

dan p

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
The book of John is , it written to the B O C or is it written to Israel ?

In verse 6 , If a man ABIDE , Not in me , he is cast forth as a branch , and is is withered , and men gather them and CAST them into the FIRE , and they are BURNED .
Gal 3:28 says when we are " in Christ " the Greek word ARE is in the PRESENT TENSE , PASSIVE VOICE , and is in the INDICATIVE MOOD and that means it is a FACT .

Then Guojing wrote about Rom 16: 7 of those who were in Christ BEFORE ME !!

dan p

I am not sure where you are going with this ….but I will answer to what I think you are saying.

Yes, the book of John was written to Israel. Jesus came to redeem God's chosen people …Gentiles were not included in the new covenant until Acts 10.

I have no argument with Gal 3:28 ….I am not sure why you brought that up … It just states that for ye are all one in Christ Jesus (the one new man Eph 2:15) …………That does not include anybody from the gospels unless or until they had accepted Christ…. under the new covenant. (if that is where you were going with that)

And I had deliberately left out Rom 16:7 from my response to Guojing …because it seemed odd that he would boaster my original post that he was responding to.

Rom 16:7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note (or known) among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Paul is giving salutations to the believers in Christ …This is just stating that they ..in some way were related to Paul …..were in Christ (born again) before he was.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure where you are going with this ….but I will answer to what I think you are saying.

Yes, the book of John was written to Israel. Jesus came to redeem God's chosen people …Gentiles were not included in the new covenant until Acts 10.

I have no argument with Gal 3:28 ….I am not sure why you brought that up … It just states that for ye are all one in Christ Jesus (the one new man Eph 2:15) …………That does not include anybody from the gospels unless or until they had accepted Christ…. under the new covenant. (if that is where you were going with that)

And I had deliberately left out Rom 16:7 from my response to Guojing …because it seemed odd that he would boaster my original post that he was responding to.

Rom 16:7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note (or known) among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Paul is giving salutations to the believers in Christ …This is just stating that they ..in some way were related to Paul …..were in Christ (born again) before he was.

Upvote 0