U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have heard arguments for it being a requirement, as well as not, so what's the deal?

Is it something a christian -must- do? As a requirement for salvation?

Or is it more for show-and-tell?

(Wasn't sure where to post, let me know if I need to move.)

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's the historic and traditional ceremony by which one becomes a Christian and a member of the church. Jesus' own baptism marked the beginning of his public ministry. It is referred to repeatedly in the New Testament as the beginning of a Christian commitment to the Lord. In short, it's hard to view it as optional.

As for the exact meaning or requirements, etc. there is some disagreement.

A few churches consider it to be necessary for salvation but it's only a few. Most do not say that, even the ones which value it highly. But that just means that God will not reject someone who couldn't be baptised for some reason or other.

Should it be administered to infants or only to those who make a profession of faith in Christ? Whichever way one is persuaded is correct, it should be noted that those on both sides of that question see the ceremony as connected to being a real believer, either because someone is pledging to raise the child as a Christian, knowing that he'll have to make his own commitment later on...OR ELSE that it is only for those making the commitment themselves.

There is also the question of whether it forgives sin or is more an act of repentance. But again, it's the entrance ceremony into the faith as a public and fullfledged member, either way you look at it.

In ancient times, only baptized members were allowed to stay through the whole of the Sunday worship service and, even today, most churches will not admit to the Lord's Supper (the other great sacrament or ordinance) those who have not been baptized, whether in that church or in another.

It is also worth knowing that most churches consider any baptism done with water and the invoking of the Triune God to be a valid one. Baptism is, therefore, the ceremony that comes the closest to being the 'common denominator' -- if there is one at all -- between churches of different denominations. It's that important.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The belief that baptism is necessary for salvation is also known as "baptismal regeneration." It is our contention that baptism is an important step of obedience for a Christian, but we adamantly reject baptism as being required for salvation. We strongly believe that each and every Christian should be water baptized by immersion. Baptism illustrates a believer’s identification with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. Romans 6:3-4 declares, “Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.” The action of being immersed in the water illustrates dying and being buried with Christ. The action of coming out of the water pictures Christ’s resurrection.

Requiring anything in addition to faith in Jesus Christ for salvation is a works-based salvation. To add anything to the gospel is to say that Jesus' death on the cross was not sufficient to purchase our salvation. To say that baptism is necessary for salvation is to say we must add our own good works and obedience to Christ's death in order to make it sufficient for salvation. Jesus' death alone paid for our sins (Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus' payment for our sins is appropriated to our “account” by faith alone (John 3:16; Acts 16:31; Ephesians 2:8-9). Therefore, baptism is an important step of obedience after salvation but cannot be a requirement for salvation.

Yes, there are some verses that seem to indicate baptism as a requirement for salvation. However, since the Bible so clearly tells us that salvation is received by faith alone (John 3:16; Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5), there must be a different interpretation of those verses. Scripture does not contradict Scripture. In Bible times, a person who converted from one religion to another was often baptized to identify conversion. Baptism was the means of making a decision public. Those who refused to be baptized were saying they did not truly believe. So, in the minds of the apostles and early disciples, the idea of an un-baptized believer was unheard of. When a person claimed to believe in Christ, yet was ashamed to proclaim his faith in public, it indicated that he did not have true faith.

If baptism is necessary for salvation, why would Paul have said, “I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius” (1 Corinthians 1:14)? Why would he have said, “For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power” (1 Corinthians 1:17)? Granted, in this passage Paul is arguing against the divisions that plagued the Corinthian church. However, how could Paul possibly say, “I am thankful that I did not baptize…” or “For Christ did not send me to baptize…” if baptism were necessary for salvation? If baptism is necessary for salvation, Paul would literally be saying, “I am thankful that you were not saved…” and “For Christ did not send me to save…” That would be an unbelievably ridiculous statement for Paul to make. Further, when Paul gives a detailed outline of what he considers the gospel (1 Corinthians 15:1-8), why does he neglect to mention baptism? If baptism is a requirement for salvation, how could any presentation of the gospel lack a mention of baptism? Not to mention that the thief on the cross was saved, yet he was not baptized.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is astonishing how quickly you guys can post such detailed responses. Thanks :D

So, correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like it is for show. It isn't required by God, but is required by church (man?).
The desciples baptised in front of crowds and unbelievers as a show of being unashamed for their beliefs.

But modern baptism isn't done in public crowds. It is done in church, surrounded by those who suggested you be baptized.
Why do I need to prove myself to a group of people who, supposedly, believe in and worship the same God as I do?

I am not saying I am ashamed, or anything along those lines, but rather I am wondering what is the actual point. Other than fulfilling potential guilt from pressure of fellow church-goers, as well as the ability to say 'Hey. I'm baptized.'

People around me seem to make it feel... artificial.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have heard arguments for it being a requirement, as well as not, so what's the deal?

It's what the early Christians did, Acts 2.41-42.

Being born again of the Spirit of God (John 3), when people believe in the Lord Jesus, Who died at the Cross for sinners, is what brings spiritual life, not water baptism, but baptism is a symbol that happened afterwards, as the Acts 2 passage shows.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is astonishing how quickly you guys can post such detailed responses. Thanks :D

So, correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like it is for show.
For myself and the majority of Christians and Christian churches...a resounding NO! I mentioned that there are some who feel that way, but I thought I also made a decent case for seeing it as a lot more than a "show." ;)

It isn't required by God, but is required by church (man?).
Wait a minute. The phrase that both I and Jason used was "necessary for salvation." If I say it's not "necessary for salvation" I'm not saying (nor are most churches who would answer the same way) it's therefore not important.

"Not necessary" means only that if there are very unusual circumstances that just about prevent a person who comes to Christ in faith from being baptised--let's say he's alone in solitary confinement in a North Korean prison shortly before dying--we do not believe God will say, "Sorry. You made my beloved Son, Jesus, your Lord and Savior and trusted him for your salvation, but you didn't get anyone to baptize you, so, you're out!"
I am not saying I am ashamed, or anything along those lines, but rather I am wondering what is the actual point. Other than fulfilling potential guilt from pressure of fellow church-goers, as well as the ability to say 'Hey. I'm baptized.'
1. become a member of Christ's church (not just the denomination or congregation there).
2. become a member of that congregation with voting rights, etc.
3. receive the assurance of the forgiveness of your sins.
4. receive the Holy Spirit and grace, spiritual blessing, for living a new life.
5. profess publicly your commitment to Christ (strongly urged by the Bible).
6. become eligible for Holy Communion and, possibly, other church rites not open to visitors.

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I thought I also made a decent case for seeing it as a lot more than a "show." ;)

You did!

1. become a member of Christ's church (not just the denomination or congregation there).
2. become a member of that congregation with voting rights, etc.
3. receive the assurance of the forgiveness of your sins.
4. receive the Holy Spirit and grace, spiritual blessing, for living a new life.
5. profess publicly your commitment to Christ (strongly urged by the Bible).
6. become eligible for Holy Communion and, possibly, other church rites not open to visitors.

So, let's say, where I live the only church within reasonable distance is one I am not too interested in joining.
Am I to get baptized here anyway? Since it is required?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
These inquiries we get from people who ask good questions but aren't able to go to church are tough. You could ask to be baptized there, making clear that you're really a Lutheran in belief or a Pentecostal or whatever. Or you could travel to some church of your preference, having made arrangements in advance, of course. There are some things that people would like pastors to do for them without them being members of the church (marriage ceremonies or funerals, for instance) and there sometimes is resistance from those churches and pastors. But, generally, there's more willingness to baptise for all the reasons I referred to before--it's welcoming a new soul to Jesus, to the people of God, etc. Every pastor wants that.

Reactions: 11god11
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Right before Jesus was crucified, He gave this instruction to His closest followers who would be the leaders of the churches.

Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted.18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.
My question to you is, would Jesus tell them to baptize people if it were essential?

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Or is it more for show-and-tell? ...
It is sometimes more fruitful to examine what a person means by "Do I have to be baptized?" Are you afraid God will punish you if you aren't baptized? Or perhaps you want to do what God knows it best for you. Or perhaps you want to know if your church is authorized by God to require baptism. There's a lot of possibilities here. Some questions to ponder:

God commanded us to be baptized.

You don't need to be baptized to be saved. Jesus did the saving, not you by any particular action.

God commands us to be faithful to Him. Does this mean to you that you are willing to publicly carry out an action that shows this?

Do you have to obey God's commands to be saved? Can Jesus be your Lord for the purpose of salvation if you intentionally do not do what he commanded? Do you have to be 100% successful in your obedience to be saved? Can you be 1% successful and still be saved?

Being christened is not the same as being baptized, because the former is not an act of the individual's will. (I'm intentionally not offering an explanation of what christening is. I'm just saying they are different.)

Are you satisfying, or do you want to satisfy, God's first and greatest command to us? Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. (Matthew 22:37-38, 1984 NIV) Do you want to do what pleases God the most, regarding baptism, or do you want to know if you can get away with skipping it? If it is the latter, you have deeper spiritual issues than whether to be baptized or not.

Choosing to publicly be baptized is definitely not just show and tell. It is a significant spiritual act with consequences. It's significance is found in that it is a willful action with accountability to identify oneself with Jesus (accountability because you do it in front of witnesses). It's like the difference between thinking about helping an old lady across the street and actually doing it. Thinking it's something "I would have done" doesn't count for anything compared to the significance of actually doing it. (I'm talking about what happens inside you, between you and God, not the benefit to the old lady.)

Baptism has a very specific meaning, so doing it is different than being obedient to God in other ways. The same is true of taking communion.

Reactions: MotherFirefly
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So you suggest getting baptized, regardless of whether you can/want to regularly attend the church?
Yes, if that's possible. I don't recommend deceiving anyone about your situation or intentions, but this is your formal connection to the faith. Having a regular church to attend is what normally would accompany it, but if that's more or less impossible, I wouldn't put Baptism off unnecesssarily.

Upvote 0

newlightseven

In the confessional
Site Supporter
May 21, 2016
North Carolina
Visit site
✟46,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Remember the theft on the cross who asked Jesus to remember him when he got to his kingdom.. Jesus said this day I promise you will be with me in paradise. I would greatly encourage getting baptized though

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you study out scripture, there's more than 1 baptism available to Christians.

Hebrews 6:2 - Of the doctrine of baptisms...

The plural use of that word is not a mistake. There is more than 1 baptism.

John the Baptist describes baptism the best, because he mentions all the baptisms of the New Testament Church, he prophesies the baptisms that were not available until after the cross.

Matthew 3:11 - I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

This means, you could be baptized in water before the cross, before Christ's resurrection. This also means, that you could be baptized in water as a lost person, and you would remain destined for the grave (Sheol) after having that baptism of water, because Christ had not died.

God made available water baptism before the atonement of Christ. We are instructed by God to do it, and it is profitable, but it is not salvation.

---------------------

Then comes the baptism of the Holy Spirit that John the Baptist prophesied. John could not give this baptism, only Jesus Christ can give it. This is the baptism of salvation. It happens in John 20:22 where Christians for the very first time since the fall of Adam, receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit into their spirit, given to them by Jesus Christ.

This is when a Christian is "born again" and Christ describes it as wind. John 3:7 and John 3:8

Whomever receives this baptism is born of the "water and spirit". Spiritually, God provides the water. John 7:38.

The reason being born of the "water and the spirit" is not water baptism is that water baptism does not proclaim birth, but it proclaims death.

Romans 6:3 and 4 - Or have you forgotten that when we were joined with Christ Jesus in baptism [water baptism], we joined him in his death? For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism.

Water baptism is then death to the old person, but not birth to the new person. Birth comes by God's spirit indwelling us. "My words are spirit and they are life"... John 20:22 - Then he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. ...

That spirit they receive in John 20:22 is the spirit of life, not a water baptism into their death. It is the new birth in John 3:7. This is why people get saved without being dunked in water!

--------------------

Then comes the baptism of fire that John the Baptist spoke of.

Luke 24:49 - I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.

Acts 2:2 and 3 - Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them.

-------

I hope that make sense!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you have to obey God's commands to be saved? Can Jesus be your Lord for the purpose of salvation if you intentionally do not do what he commanded? Do you have to be 100% successful in your obedience to be saved? Can you be 1% successful and still be saved?

Well put!

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you study out scripture, there's more than 1 baptism available to Christians.

Hebrews 6:2 - Of the doctrine of baptisms...

The plural use of that word is not a mistake. There is more than 1 baptism.

John the Baptist describes baptism the best, because he mentions all the baptisms of the New Testament Church, he prophesies the baptisms that were not available until after the cross.

Matthew 3:11 - I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

This means, you could be baptized in water before the cross, before Christ's resurrection. This also means, that you could be baptized in water as a lost person, and you would remain destined for the grave (Sheol) after having that baptism of water, because Christ had not died.

God made available water baptism before the atonement of Christ. We are instructed by God to do it, and it is profitable, but it is not salvation.

---------------------

Then comes the baptism of the Holy Spirit that John the Baptist prophesied. John could not give this baptism, only Jesus Christ can give it. This is the baptism of salvation. It happens in John 20:22 where Christians for the very first time since the fall of Adam, receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit into their spirit, given to them by Jesus Christ.

This is when a Christian is "born again" and Christ describes it as wind. John 3:7 and John 3:8

Whomever receives this baptism is born of the "water and spirit". Spiritually, God provides the water. John 7:38.

The reason being born of the "water and the spirit" is not water baptism is that water baptism does not proclaim birth, but it proclaims death.

Romans 6:3 and 4 - Or have you forgotten that when we were joined with Christ Jesus in baptism [water baptism], we joined him in his death? For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism.

Water baptism is then death to the old person, but not birth to the new person. Birth comes by God's spirit indwelling us. "My words are spirit and they are life"... John 20:22 - Then he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. ...

That spirit they receive in John 20:22 is the spirit of life, not a water baptism into their death. It is the new birth in John 3:7. This is why people get saved without being dunked in water!

--------------------

Then comes the baptism of fire that John the Baptist spoke of.

Luke 24:49 - I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.

Acts 2:2 and 3 - Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them.

-------

I hope that make sense!

So, essentially, there are three 'parts' to our 'redemption'?

Physically, we bless ourselves with water and God's word.
Spiritually, he blesses us with his Holy Spirit.

What is this baptism of fire?
Is that just further implementing the power of the Spirit?

Upvote 0

StanJ

Student & Correct Handler of God's Word.
May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
In the New Testament it has two meanings.
  1. Being immersed in water as a sign of repentance and commitment to Jesus after one has actually been saved/received salvation.
  2. Being immersed/infilled by the Holy Spirit to imbue us with power and strength for our Walk In Christ.

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Remember the theft on the cross who asked Jesus to remember him when he got to his kingdom.. Jesus said this day I promise you will be with me in paradise. I would greatly encourage getting baptized though

That makes sense. No ritual conducted by man could have within it the power to promise eternal life. Only God can provide that.

However, our constant goal is a pure devotion.
Perhaps the power lies less in the action itself, but more in the mindset of letting go of your control, and giving all to God. It is a symbol for the 'death' of our old selves, and the 'rebirth' of a new self, devoted to holiness.

I am close, yes?

So the reason the 'baptism' is important, is not for proving our fellow christians how devoted we are, but proving to -ourselves- how devoted we are.
God knows our hearts, and humans don't care. In the end, our spiritual mindset is what is important.

I find that many christians don't understand this. They get lost in doctirine and their own pride, and miss the meaning behind it all.

Thanks for the responses everyone. :)

Upvote 0