Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do we really serve Jesus, or do we want Him to serve us?

Mark 10:31
But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first."
I can't speak for "we", but I love God above all else and my neighbor as myself.
Jesus is my Lord, and I do what He wants me to do.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me it means Jesus is the King of kings and I want to follow him.
Jesus said: "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?" If you follow Him then does that mean you follow His teaching to do what He is telling us to do?

Anyone can answer this question. I would like to get a mixture of opinions on this.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do we serve Him? Why do we do what He wants us to do?
I don't know about "we", but I serve Him because I love Him for what He has already done for me.
He died for my past sins, and made a way for me to live without committing any more sins.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said: "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?"

If you follow Him then does that mean you follow His teaching to do what He is telling us to do?
Yes, it does.
To do otherwise is not "following Him".

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
We've kind of taken the word "lord" for granted in English. Though it's interesting that the English etymology follows a similar trend to words in other languages. The English word "lord" etymologically comes to us from Anglo-Saxon hlafweard (think loaf-ward), literally "ward or guardian of the loaves", the one in charge of the bread, the keeper of the food, i.e. the head of the household. This basic idea is also found in words such as the Greek kyrios which originally referred to the master of the household. Likewise the Hebrew adonai "my lord" or "my master", a husband could be called this, and like kyrios can be treated akin to the English "sir" or "mister" as formal address. And the Latin dominus, perhaps from domus ("house"), and thus again the head of the house.

The general sense in all of this tends to be the chief, the head, the boss, etc. The one who is at the top, and is to be regarded as above, shown respect, etc.

Jesus Christ as our Lord is to say this same thing: That He is the One who is above us, the Chief, the Head, to whom we owe fealty, devotion, and indeed our very lives. He is the Master, we are the servants; He is the King. He is in charge. He is the Lord, the Chief above all else--above you, above me, above every power, authority, government, above all things in all creation. Above all else in heaven above, and on earth below.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Though it's interesting that the English etymology follows a similar trend to words in other languages.
English is actually closer to the ancient hebrew then the modern hebrew is.

316734_afbabbdfd071c5d47aac70236835caca.jpg

Attachments

• WP1.jpg
    WP1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
English is actually closer to the ancient hebrew then the modern hebrew is.

316734_afbabbdfd071c5d47aac70236835caca.jpg

That's not how linguistics work. The adoption of written characters and their evolution as a writing system has no bearing on the language itself. One could invent entirely knew writing system, with entirely new characters, and English would still be English. That's why one can write Mongolian in both Cyrillic and Mongolian script.

Modern English descends from Anglo-Saxon, also known as Old English. Prior to the adoption of the Latin Alphabet the language was written using Futhorc, the Anglo-Saxon or Anglo-Frisian runic alphabet, a writing system related to the Elder Futhark.

As English is descended directly from Anglo-Saxon, it is a Germanic language. Its closest linguistic relative is Frisian, after that both English and Frisian are related to Low German, the language spoken in Northern Germany. And all the Germanic languages can be traced to a Proto-Germanic language, itself a branch of the Indo-European language family tree.

Hebrew, however, is completely unrelated to any of these. Hebrew is a West Semitic language, its closest relatives are Arabic (South Semitic) and Aramaic (East Semitic), the Semitic languages (surviving members being Hebrew, Arabic, Syriac, and Amharic) are part of a larger family tree known as Afro-Asiatic. The Afro-Asiatic language family includes all the Semitic languages, as well as Egyptian (including modern Coptic), Tamahaq (Berber), and Somali.

There is no known higher order of language phylogeny that connects Proto-Afro-Asiatic with Proto-Indo-European; and these would therefore be regarded as language isolates. In much the same way that Korean or Basque are language isolates, with no surviving sister languages.

-CryptoLutheran

• Informative
Reactions: bling
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not how linguistics work.
Because we are talking about Kabbalah. A lot of science actually comes from Kabbalah teaching. A lot of Kabbalah is shown to be true by modern science. Back in ancient Mesopotamia in the Tigris Euphrates river valley there were two people and two languages. The Hebrew Language is actually based in symbols that have evolved. For example the letter B represents our dwelling or at the time of Moses a tent or Tabernacle. Eventually there were two temples built on the temple mount. The A represents the Head of an Ox, the B represents our dwelling, The C represents a camel, the D represents the door or entrance and who controls the door and who enters. In ancient times they had judges that sat at the gate to determine who was allowed to enter into the city. We are told that God used the Hebrew alphabet in Creation. Jesus is the word of God. Also the letters or the words make up the law of God. We are told that not one Jot or one Tittle shall pass until all is accomplished. This is all infinite so we could go on learning forever about each and ever letter in the Hebrew or English alphabet.

Look at the word Tabernacle. The T represents Reysh the head or highest person, the A represents an ox or bull. This is strength and the leader of all the animals. The B represents dwelling and the desire of God to dwell with and become a humble part of His Creation. The E represents head & hands lifted up in praise. The R represents a fish hook. This has evolved to harvest or to catch. Even the r looks like a fish hook. So the letters all have symbolic meaning. When we study the meaning of the letters then we can understand the definition of the word. In Bible school they teach that the meaning of a word is determined by context. Usually the context does explain what the word means. That that gives us a confirmation of our understanding of the symbols.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Because we are talking about Kabbalah. A lot of science actually comes from Kabbalah teaching. A lot of Kabbalah is shown to be true by modern science. Back in ancient Mesopotamia in the Tigris Euphrates river valley there were two people and two languages. The Hebrew Language is actually based in symbols that have evolved. For example the letter B represents our dwelling or at the time of Moses a tent or Tabernacle. Eventually there were two temples built on the temple mount. The A represents the Head of an Ox, the B represents our dwelling, The C represents a camel, the D represents the door or entrance and who controls the door and who enters. In ancient times they had judges that sat at the gate to determine who was allowed to enter into the city. We are told that God used the Hebrew alphabet in Creation. Jesus is the word of God. Also the letters or the words make up the law of God. We are told that not one Jot or one Tittle shall pass until all is accomplished. This is all infinite so we could go on learning forever about each and ever letter in the Hebrew or English alphabet.

Look at the word Tabernacle. The T represents Reysh the head or highest person, the A represents an ox or bull. This is strength and the leader of all the animals. The B represents dwelling and the desire of God to dwell with and become a humble part of His Creation. The E represents head & hands lifted up in praise. The R represents a fish hook. This has evolved to harvest or to catch. Even the r looks like a fish hook. So the letters all have symbolic meaning. When we study the meaning of the letters then we can understand the definition of the word. In Bible school they teach that the meaning of a word is determined by context. Usually the context does explain what the word means. That that gives us a confirmation of our understanding of the symbols.

Why, exactly, would we be talking about kabbalah? What on earth does that sort of thing have to do with the Lordship of Jesus Christ?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why, exactly, would we be talking about kabbalah? What on earth does that sort of thing have to do with the Lordship of Jesus Christ?
This is the foundation and the beginning. Hasadic Kabbalah Rabbi's teaches us the Hebrew language and the meaning of the Hebrew letters that Moses used to write the Torah. So I am learning the ancient Hebrew Language so I can properly translate and understand the Bible. Much of the New Testament are quotes from the Old Testament. For example Paul said: "it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one". This was a quote from David. Only David said None is Good. Paul changed the word Good to Right. This is why I feel it is important to learn the Hebrew Language to understand our Bible.

Jesus said: "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." (Matthew 5:18) What is a "Jot"? What is a "Tittle". This is why it is important to study the ancient Hebrew Language so that we can know what a Jot and Title is and what Jesus means when he says He forfills the Law of God. The word of God and the Law of God is written with the same Hebrew Letters. Every Jot and every Tittle speaks of Jesus and tells us about Him. So the more we learn and study the ancient Hebrew the more we will learn and study about Jesus.

God is infinite so we could go on and learn and study about this forever. Every day He has a fresh new message and lesson for us to learn. Still the best place to start in in the Beginning. This is the first word in the Bible. If we understand the meaning of Begining then we will understand all of the Bible. We see that the Son of God was given as a Grain offering so that Heaven and Earth can be reconciled. Through the Blood Sacrifice that Jesus made for us at Calvary we are redeemed.

Paul tells us: "But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:" (1Cor2:7) So if we want to grow up and be mature then we can understand the hidden wisdom and the mystery of God. Some people wait and use the faith of a child to gain entrance into Heaven then they learn about the hidden wisdom when they get there. Others begin to learn now, while we are still here on the Earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why, exactly, would we be talking about kabbalah?
Also sense you seem to miss the message in my post. Kabbalah helps us to better understand Science. For example Gerald Schroeder got his PhD from MIT. Then when he had learned all that science had to offer he began his study of Kabbalah. Atheists do not understand Science. It is the people that know their Bible that understand Science. God gives us both Science and our Bible. Young people learn Science and they learn their Bible. AS we get older then we study to understand how Science and the Bible can be reconciled. With Gerald Schroeder he is OEC: Old Earth Creationism. He can explain how a day in Genesis can be billions of years long. I will give people a clue. OEC only works if each day in Genesis is half the length of the day before it. You may not be interested in this though because Schroeder is "Jewish". So perhaps you will disregard all of his understanding of Science and the Torah because of that. Gerald Schroeder - Articles - Age of the Universe

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Do we really serve Jesus, or do we want Him to serve us?

Mark 10:31
But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first."

In Romans 10:4-10, Jesus is the goal of the law for righteousness for everyone who has faith. This faith then quotes Deuteronomy 30:11-16 in regard to saying that God's law is not too difficult for us to obey, that the one who obeys it will attain life by it, and in regard to what it means to submit to Jesus as Lord. So confessing that Jesus is Lord is about submitting to his will which is made known through his commands and we want to serve him because we have faith in him to guide us in how to rightly live and because we have faith in him as the fulfillment of God's promise to redeem us from our sins.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we have faith in him to guide us in how to rightly live
We are to be right (righteous) before God. David tells us we are to be good. How does good in the old testament became right in the new testament?

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,011,713.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
We are to be right (righteous) before God. David tells us we are to be good. How does good in the old testament became right in the new testament?

Through Jesus Christ

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

-CryptoLutheran
It has been exposed before on this forum and others - it is opposed to Scripture and opposed to Jesus. Very wicked , I think, and not ever to be messed with (as if to study the evil) ....

Upvote 0