Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fine... but just don't say that God doesn't speak at all because of that.

I was mainly trying to get the attention from those of us that want to hear a certain thing/answer, or just want to hear from him so badly, they "think" they do. And FWIW, I think most of us have been there, so it's nothing to be a shamed of.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟453,608.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was mainly trying to get the attention from those of us that want to hear a certain thing/answer, or just want to hear from him so badly, they "think" they do. And FWIW, I think most of us have been there, so it's nothing to be a shamed of.

No sorry i didn't mean to be like that, i only say that we should not conclude (responding to the general thread rather than you), that God don't speak in this times because we got confused trying to hear his voice.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

FIRESTORM314

Site Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But unless you have scripture supporting it, you have false doctrine.

God speaks to men ( either directly or indirectly ) throughout the Bible ...

He Spoke to Adam
He Spoke to Moses
He Spoke to The Judges
He Spoke to the Kings
He Spoke to the Prophets
He Spoke To John the Baptist, Mary, Joseph, etc
He Spoke to the Shepherds.
He Spoke to the Disciples
He Spoke to the early Christians
He doesn't speak to us

Which is the odd one out ;)

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
In Acts, God spoke through Angels and Visions. Sometimes it says "the Holy Spirit said" and this might have been through a prophet. But he speaks only through the written word today, the former ways now ceased. People imagine God speaks to them directly but scripture does not support this.

In no place does scripture support the lie that God has stopped speaking.

Just get your head around these facts.-

Scripture makes it clear that the devil regularly and freely talks to people, including believers, but particularly the unregenerate (his "sons" according to Jesus).

But according to you, our Father in Heaven won't talk to his children any more!
That makes Satan a far better father than God.
In fact, the god you serve doesn't deserve the title "father", because he has abdicated his fatherhood!

It would pay dividends for you to wash your spiritual ears out and start listening. You might learn something.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
How do you know?
I don't know at all, but clearly neither do you, and that's my point.
You dont, God does, We dont need to know as long as God sends us his people in times of need it does not matter if we know.
To proclaim that "we don't need to know" is asking to be led astray by a messenger of Satan, who will come as an angel of light.
All that matters is God loves us so much he sends us help when we need it.
Satan also sends help, and the church is full of people who have grasped hold of that help. So unless you ask for the gift of discernment, you will be just another statistic in the list of deluded Christians.
The responsibility of all believers is to learn the voice of the Lord. Until we do that, we are vulnerable to every whim that Satan send floating by.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't know at all, but clearly neither do you, and that's my point.

To proclaim that "we don't need to know" is asking to be led astray by a messenger of Satan, who will come as an angel of light.

Satan also sends help, and the church is full of people who have grasped hold of that help. So unless you ask for the gift of discernment, you will be just another statistic in the list of deluded Christians.
The responsibility of all believers is to learn the voice of the Lord. Until we do that, we are vulnerable to every whim that Satan send floating by.

A messenger of the devil dont do good things for people.

I think you just want to argue lol. You will not find a argument with me. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I use to listen to voices in my head. Sometimes i would hear the words "You're my son". I concluded that i heard what i wanted to hear. Maybe im wrong. I couldnt listen to those voices however because i heard many strange things that seemed random.
Many years ago, there was a man deeply thirsty and in a very dry place. As he was on his journey, he suddenly came across an overgrown well, obviously not used in any recent time.
There was an old bucket on a rope so he dropped it down the well and soon hauled up his first bucketful of water.

When he looked at the water, he was devastated as it was so filthy it was undrinkable. He immediately tossed the bucket and its contents back down the well and hauled up another bucketful. It was just as polluted as before, and as before he tossed it back. This continued for the better part of the day until he was exhausted and almost dying of thirst.

Then he heard the sound of another traveller, and suddenly a wizened old man appeared. He took one look at the bedraggled heap of a man beside the well, and lowered the bucket down for water.
"You're wasting your time" the first man cried through cracked lips!

Ignoring him, the old man hauled the bucket up, took one look, and tossed it on the track before throwing the empty bucket back down. He didn't even bother looking as he quickly tossed the first dozen or so buckets aside, only then did he look at the water, and with a grunt of satisfaction tossed that aside and then hauled the next bucket up.

With that bucketful, he immediately took a long swig, and with a sigh of satisfaction held the bucket of crystal clear water to the puzzled first man.

The moral of the story is that, when we first start, the well of hearing God's voice is so full of our own garbage thoughts, that the water is virtually undrinkable. However, as we keep hauling those buckets up, that water will only become clearer and clearer till it too becomes like crystal.

If we do nothing, that same garbage will remain in the well for ever more, and the drought of hearing the Lord will remain.

The voice of the Lord will get clearer as we put our spiritual ears into practise. The same with visions etc.
So don't slack, get going and put your spiritual ears and eyes to use.

Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
A messenger of the devil dont do good things for people.
People don't usually find out what the devil does till the damage is done. Witness Adam in the garden of Eden.
And you completely ignore the direct warning of scripture.-
2Cor11v13For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their actions.…

The problem is that your description of finding what God's saying has as much accuracy as tossing a coin.
I think you just want to argue lol. You will not find a argument with me. :oldthumbsup:
Don't let me stop you, but at least read the testimonies of those who have learned to hear him personally, rather than just to listen to random people.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
People don't usually find out what the devil does till the damage is done. Witness Adam in the garden of Eden.
And you completely ignore the direct warning of scripture.-
2Cor11v13For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their actions.…

The problem is that your description of finding what God's saying has as much accuracy as tossing a coin.

Don't let me stop you, but at least read the testimonies of those who have learned to hear him personally, rather than just to listen to random people.

Like I said, you just want to argue, I'm not sure why, but you will not find a argument from me.

evil people do evil things and the spirit of God inside you will tell you what is evil and what is not.

How do you know?

The spirit of God, the holy ghost tells you what is what.

Its called discernment.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No clue... some have heard it.. well when the dove came down on Christ.. some just heard thunder.. some heard His voice.. THIS IS MY....

KNOW that Christ can never lie...NEVER LIE. So when you read "my sheep" thats YOU... He said "y sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me"

What that means is just what HE said... He said you will KNOW HIS voice... you never have to wonder... some call it that still small voice in side.. and you KNOW its Him.. you never have to wonder.. you know that you know that you know..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is good advice to make sure the voice lines up with Scripture. But, often the guidance that is given is within the confines of Scripture, but not a topic that Scripture speaks to (like what career to go into or what job to take or where to live or whether to marry a person, or help finding things, etc)

But Jesus didn't say "my voice sounds just like the demons, so be careful." Jesus said: "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them and they follow Me." (John 10:27) And Jesus said: "when He puts forth his own sheep, he goes before them and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger they will not follow, but will flee from him; for they know not the voice of strangers." (John 10:4-5)

When the LORD made those statements he was not talking about an audible voice. In context he was talking about the message that people follow. A person who lives in sin (not his sheep) will not follow the message given by Christ, one who seeks to live unto God (his sheep) will follow his teachings.

The bible actually gives instructions for the church to watch and be careful of revelation, not to be scared of it, but just aware that it could be in error.

1Co 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

1 thess 5:20 Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good.

What need is there for a test, if it is always right. Often people speak out of their own resources not the Spirit, they are still Christians, but may not have an abiding relationship with God. Demons also mimic the Spirit, and we need to be careful what we believe or listen to.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the LORD made those statements he was not talking about an audible voice. In context he was talking about the message that people follow. A person who lives in sin (not his sheep) will not follow the message given by Christ, one who seeks to live unto God (his sheep) will follow his teachings.

The bible actually gives instructions for the church to watch and be careful of revelation, not to be scared of it, but just aware that it could be in error.

1Co 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

1 thess 5:20 Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good.

What need is there for a test, if it is always right. Often people speak out of their own resources not the Spirit, they are still Christians, but may not have an abiding relationship with God. Demons also mimic the Spirit, and we need to be careful what we believe or listen to.

I agree with the Scriptures and what I said is not contradicted in the Scripture one iota!

I disagree with your conclusions regarding John 10. You can interpret what you think the Scriptures say. I'll stick with what they say. I would suggest that just because you don't get to experience something in the same way others do, you don't decide for others what is possible based on your lack of experience. We have too many bad theologians who have already done that.

We are talking about hearing the Holy Spirit speak to you. That isn't limited to people who claim to be speaking prophetically for God to you. That advice you shared, via Scriptures, is certainly very valuable, if we are talking about others (prophets via prophecies) speaking into your life--whether in congregation or individually. However, The Holy Spirit can speak to each of us. And, the Holy Spirit isn't limited to an audible voice, but He certainly can still use one.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But then, what is an audible voice?

I've heard audible voices. In my experience, they are other types of beings, demons or angels.

I am led to believe by scripture and by experience that if the Holy Spirit abides within a person, He will speak from within that person. No one else will hear that.

Other spiritual beings, unable to be within a person while the Holy Spirit abides within that person, must manipulate air waves externally.

However, on one occasion, the Holy Spirit gave both my wife and I discernment of the presence of a demon. I saw it, but my wife heard it. But that was discernment given by the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Yarddog
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In Acts, God spoke through Angels and Visions. Sometimes it says "the Holy Spirit said" and this might have been through a prophet. But he speaks only through the written word today, the former ways now ceased. People imagine God speaks to them directly but scripture does not support this.
And how do you conclude that God doesn't speak to his children, today, as he spoke to them thousands of years ago.?

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
But unless you have scripture supporting it, you have false doctrine.
The hardness of your heart keeps you deaf and blind to God's voice, whilst also making you an easy target for doctrines of demons to justify your cessationist stance.

Mark13v11But when they might lead you away, delivering you up, do not be anxious beforehand what you should say; but whatever might be given to you in that hour, speak that. For you are not those speaking, but the Holy Spirit.
The above verse refers to persecution in the tribulation period, but it is a principle that the Lord still speaks to his children as he has done from the very beginning.

1Cor1v7so that you are not lacking in any gift, awaiting eagerly the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, 8who will also confirm you to the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Again, Paul makes it clear that the gifts are given to sustain us till Christ returns.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Like I said, you just want to argue, I'm not sure why, but you will not find a argument from me.
I don't want an argument, I was just looking for answers from you which were not forthcoming at all.
evil people do evil things and the spirit of God inside you will tell you what is evil and what is not.

How do you know?

The spirit of God, the holy ghost tells you what is what.

Its called discernment.
That's the first time you have said about discernment, everything else was just waffle.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Find scripture supporting your view and we will see.
I have already posted many scriptures which you studiously ignore, but you have given no scripture whatsoever to prove that only apostles can distribute gifts!

Cessationists love to boast of their superior theology, but it is nothing more that an accumulation of the Tree of Knowledge, Adam tried that and look where it led him.

Unless you eat of the Tree of Life, your theological Tree of Knowledge will only bring you death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have already posted many scriptures which you studiously ignore, but you have given no scripture whatsoever to prove that only apostles can distribute gifts!

Cessationists love to boast of their superior theology, but it is nothing more that an accumulation of the Tree of Knowledge, Adam tried that and look where it led him.

Unless you eat of the Tree of Life, your theological Tree of Knowledge will only bring you death.
Are you adding to scripture? Acts shows only two means of distributing the gifts.

Upvote 0