What does God want in Christian churches?

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟483,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What does a God-pleasing church include?

“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” James 1:27 (NIV)

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,928.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” James 1:27 (NIV)

And:

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. -- Matthew 28

Every congregation should be actively involved in both efforts. These two things should be their primary congregational goals, two efforts talked about at every opportunity. All members should be brought in to support these efforts--every member should know what he or she is doing in direct support of one or the other of these two efforts.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What does a God-pleasing church include?
What kinds of worship and preaching are pleasing to Abba Father?

Justin Martyr described what worship was like in 150ad. He said:

"But we, after we have thus washed him who has been convinced and has assented to our teaching, bring him to the place where those who are called brethren are assembled, in order that we may offer hearty prayers in common for ourselves and for the baptized [illuminated] person, and for all others in every place, that we may be counted worthy, now that we have learned the truth, by our works also to be found good citizens and keepers of the commandments, so that we may be saved with an everlasting salvation.

Having ended the prayers, we salute one another with a kiss. There is then brought to the president of the brethren bread and a cup of wine mixed with water; and he taking them, gives praise and glory to the Father of the universe, through the name of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, and offers thanks at considerable length for our being counted worthy to receive these things at His hands.

And when he has concluded the prayers and thanksgivings, all the people present express their assent by saying Amen. This word Amen answers in the Hebrew language to ge’noito [so be it].

And when the president has given thanks, and all the people have expressed their assent, those who are called by us deacons give to each of those present to partake of the bread and wine mixed with water over which the thanksgiving was pronounced, and to those who are absent they carry away a portion."

Upvote 0

BibleloverBill

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2018
New Mexico
Visit site
✟82,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
And:

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. -- Matthew 28

Every congregation should be actively involved in both efforts. These two things should be their primary congregational goals, two efforts talked about at every opportunity. All members should be brought in to support these efforts--every member should know what he or she is doing in direct support of one or the other of these two efforts.

Where is such happening? I tried to volunteer my spiritual abilities to a few famous ministries (Pastors MacArthur's, Jeremiah's, and Stanley's) and was rudely rejected.

Upvote 0

DeeR.

Counselor by trade Christian by life.
Nov 16, 2018
Tampa
✟16,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The church is all believers. When we assemble we are to seek unity in truth grace and love, we are to break down walls within the divisions of the believers and offer our love and support to all believers not just a certain group or by opening a new building/title up. When we can be mature and united then we should be sent out to the world, but not before. What good is it to bring people in and have nothing solid to give them.. only division arguments and temporary peace and things. We must strengthen our church and be filled with the Spirit and live in His ways before further damaging one another and draw more people into that. They must have a safe place to come where God is really present and not just a bunch of people quoting scripture who have no power or holiness. When Jesus is lifted up, lived and holiness is present , He will draw people to Himself as we live and go forth. The believers are divided, sick and without power at large, it is why Christianity is so weak and unwanted after a short time of seeing the truth.
Separation from this life's desires and wants and even needs to pursue God's Righteousness Holiness and Power is what we need in the Church, which is the believers, in Jesus.
Acts 2:42-47

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BibleloverBill

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2018
New Mexico
Visit site
✟82,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Justin Martyr described what worship was like in 150ad. He said:

"But we, after we have thus washed him who has been convinced and has assented to our teaching, bring him to the place where those who are called brethren are assembled, in order that we may offer hearty prayers in common for ourselves and for the baptized [illuminated] person, and for all others in every place, that we may be counted worthy, now that we have learned the truth, by our works also to be found good citizens and keepers of the commandments, so that we may be saved with an everlasting salvation.

Having ended the prayers, we salute one another with a kiss. There is then brought to the president of the brethren bread and a cup of wine mixed with water; and he taking them, gives praise and glory to the Father of the universe, through the name of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, and offers thanks at considerable length for our being counted worthy to receive these things at His hands.

And when he has concluded the prayers and thanksgivings, all the people present express their assent by saying Amen. This word Amen answers in the Hebrew language to ge’noito [so be it].

And when the president has given thanks, and all the people have expressed their assent, those who are called by us deacons give to each of those present to partake of the bread and wine mixed with water over which the thanksgiving was pronounced, and to those who are absent they carry away a portion."

**That is not from God's Holy Word.

Upvote 0

BibleloverBill

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2018
New Mexico
Visit site
✟82,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The church is all believers. When we assemble we are to seek unity in truth grace and love, we are to break down walls within the divisions of the believers and offer our love and support to all believers not just a certain group or by opening a new building/title up. When we can be mature and united then we should be sent out to the world, but not before. What good is it to bring people in and have nothing solid to give them.. only division arguments and temporary peace and things. We must strengthen our church and be filled with the Spirit and live in His ways before further damaging one another and draw more people into that. They must have a safe place to come where God is really present and not just a bunch of people quoting scripture who have no power or holiness. When Jesus is lifted up, lived and holiness is present , He will draw people to Himself as we live and go forth. The believers are divided, sick and without power at large, it is why Christianity is so weak and unwanted after a short time of seeing the truth.
Separation from this life's desires and wants and even needs to pursue God's Righteousness Holiness and Power is what we need in the Church, which is the believers, in Jesus.
Acts 2:42-47

***It that happening in the church you attend. If so I would relocate to it.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,902.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Where is such happening? I tried to volunteer my spiritual abilities to a few famous ministries (Pastors MacArthur's, Jeremiah's, and Stanley's) and was rudely rejected.

If you turned up at my parish, saying you want to volunteer, we'd be delighted. I wonder if part of the problem was that you were trying to volunteer for "ministries" rather than becoming part of a worshipping community?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BibleloverBill

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2018
New Mexico
Visit site
✟82,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The Divine Liturgy has been successful for two thousand years.

???

What is that? Even Orthodoxy is divided about what Liturgy to use and what is wrong with just straight careful teaching of God's Holy Word with emphasis for New Testament living?

Upvote 0

DeeR.

Nov 16, 2018
Tampa
✟16,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
**That is not from God's Holy Word.

Regardless of if it is from our bible, or not, many people quote Christians from modern times and the past. If he quoted D L Moody or Spurgeon or someone else most would accept it. Let's not be quick to point things out, but test them with the Spirit with love and be gentle with one another (remember we are God's and there is a reverence involved in speaking to one another. The words or expressions are not modern , but they are not against scripture either. The question is is it in line with the Spirit and Living word, and I believe it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeeR.

Nov 16, 2018
Tampa
✟16,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

It may not be necessary to offer your abilities so to speak. They are the works of the Spirit and we should just join and serve and help and let God use the gifts in His timing. If a church group does not receive/believe the gifts, either serve and win them over through love and service or find a place you are being led to.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Consider the walk on the road to Emmaus. Jesus disguised Himself from the disciples, opening up the Scriptures to them along the way and finally revealing Himself in the breaking of the bread that night. And about the bread, recall what He said about it on the night of the Last Supper: this is my body.

Reactions: DeeR.
Upvote 0

DeeR.

Nov 16, 2018
Tampa
✟16,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
***It that happening in the church you attend. If so I would relocate to it.
Sadly, no. as I mentioned, we need to focus on the church first because the church is sick and weak.. We need to BE the change where we are and bear the greater responsibility and help the weak in humility and much gentleness and grace. Seek to understand help and love right now so God's holiness can come within the believers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BibleloverBill

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2018
New Mexico
Visit site
✟82,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It may not be necessary to offer your abilities so to speak. They are the works of the Spirit and we should just join and serve and help and let God use the gifts in His timing. If a church group does not receive/believe the gifts, either serve and win them over through love and service or find a place you are being led to.

***I have experienced all of the Gifts and Fruit of the Spirit. But God-given abilities are important to. But the Bible says in several places that God hates religion. Most special music in by choirs, worship teams, and solos are not pleasing to God because of selfish motives for impressing the audience instead of God. And the Bible doesn't speak about winning as you indicate. Most pastors and denominations are set in their traditions. God hates such.

Upvote 0

BibleloverBill

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2018
New Mexico
Visit site
✟82,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Sadly, no. as I mentioned, we need to focus on the church first because the church is sick and weak.. We need to BE the change where we are and bear the greater responsibility and help the weak in humility and much gentleness and grace. Seek to understand help and love right now so God's holiness can come within the believers.

***I know about the compassion that is pleasing to God. It is indicated in Philippians 2:1-5 and 1 Corinthians 13-14. I have experienced all of the Gifts and Fruit of the Spirit. But God-given abilities are important to. But the Bible says in several places that God hates religion. Most special music in by choirs, worship teams, and solos are not pleasing to God because of selfish motives for impressing the audience instead of God. And the Bible doesn't speak about winning as you indicate. Most pastors and denominations are set in their traditions. God hates such. Most of them hate those who do independent Bible teaching and Biblical Counseling.

for God and for back-to-the-basics

Upvote 0

DeeR.

Nov 16, 2018
Tampa
✟16,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
***I have experienced all of the Gifts and Fruit of the Spirit. But God-given abilities are important to. But the Bible says in several places that God hates religion. Most special music in by choirs, worship teams, and solos are not pleasing to God because of selfish motives for impressing the audience instead of God. And the Bible doesn't speak about winning as you indicate. Most pastors and denominations are set in their traditions. God hates such.
But God does not hate them. His desire is not that we abandon those are are only children in their behavior but that the mature in Him gently instruct and serve them to make them strong. Gifts are great, but Love and serving are more important where people are giving a bad example and living sick and hungry (especially within the church).

Upvote 0

BibleloverBill

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2018
New Mexico
Visit site
✟82,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Sometimes helping and being at service to God and others involves washing one another's feet. Start there and have no thought for your age or what others accept just serve, as the wonderful sister mother Teresa had.

I have done that literally in SDA churches. Mother Teresa didn't have the same calling as I have as a teacher of God's Word.

I value time because I should have died in a April 2002 auto accident down an Idaho cliff. So since then I have sought to do fulltime ministering. I used to love game playing during my childhood, but now it seems we are in the ending of the Age of Grace and the World is worsening so fast because of lack of knowing God's desires. So for the last 15 years I have been doing the For Sharing Truths ministry, mostly via the Internet.

Upvote 0