south-central region
✟36,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm seriously confused. Is it a feeling? If so, does it feel like remorse? And if it isn't a feeling, what are the motives of the heart behind it? What I mean by that is, why do we repent? Is it out of hatred for sin? Love for God? Both? Or it is out of moral duty? (i.e. the mindset that "sin is wrong, and because I'm a Christian and ought to live a holy life, I should repent.")

I'm sorry, I know that was a lot of questions. But this has been keeping me on edge for a while. The story of Esau has been getting to me as I think about how his repentance was selfish and therefore rejected by God. I'm terrified of turning out that way. What would that kind of selfish repentance look like in a modern day Christian? Any advice is appreciated.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm seriously confused. Is it a feeling? If so, does it feel like remorse? And if it isn't a feeling, what are the motives of the heart behind it? What I mean by that is, why do we repent? Is it out of hatred for sin? Love for God? Both? Or it is out of moral duty? (i.e. the mindset that "sin is wrong, and because I'm a Christian and ought to live a holy life, I should repent.")

I'm sorry, I know that was a lot of questions. But this has been keeping me on edge for a while. The story of Esau has been getting to me as I think about how his repentance was selfish and therefore rejected by God. I'm terrified of turning out that way. What would that kind of selfish repentance look like in a modern day Christian? Any advice is appreciated.
The way I understand repentance comes from understanding righteousness is linked to Love. And unrighteousness is linked to Hatred. So it's about motive. Al Capone could stop killing by choosing to obey the law. But his heart was not in it. His "goodness" was self serving. But as Christians we always have two options because of the New Birth. We can do what love would do. In which case Jesus is lord of our lives (God is love). Or we can walk in the flesh and ignore love doing what the flesh (hatred) would do.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Repentance is a change of direction - from living a godless life, ignoring or even rebelling against God - to embracing Christ as Saviour. This is the work of the Holy Spirit, first bringing conviction of sin, that you need Jesus as Saviour, then giving you the revelation that Jesus died for you on the cross and rose again to give you eternal life, plus the faith to believe it to be true, then saving faith to freely receive Jesus as Saviour.

All this is the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit to get you saved. You do an about turn from walking away from God to running boldly to His throne of grace. This may be accompanied by feelings, but in essence it is an act of your will, enabled by the Holy Spirit.

Repentance is like you are running in a direction where you are rapidly approaching the top of a cliff and if you keep running, you will topple over to your death. But suddenly, someone shouts a warning and you stop, realising that you are running in the wrong direction. So you do an about turn and run away from the cliff to safety. That is repentance.

When you read the Bible and see the promise of God for everyone who turns to Him and receives Christ as Saviour, you then receive an assurance that because God has promised and He does not lie, you are truly saved. You may not have any emotional feeling about that, but you believe God's Word and based your assurance of salvation on it.

An emotional response may come then or later, but that is just the icing on the cake. It is not the cake itself. The cake is your faith and the decision you have made to receive Christ and believe God's promise: "To everyone who has received Christ, God has given them the right to become the sons of God and to receive eternal life in His [Jesus'] Name."

• Agree
Reactions: AvgJoe
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Repentance means to "change one's mind". So it goes beyond feeling, its a decision coupled with an action. So someone would change because they understand that their current state is not right, and want to be in a direction that is right. That would be the right motive. The wrong motive would be that they don't necessarily want to change their state, but more so don't want to face the negative consequences and responsibility that comes along with staying in their state. I guess you can say, someone that doesn't truly repent, doesn't care about being just.

The case of Essau then was that yes he display the feeling of someone who would repent, but was crying because he did not want to face the consequence of his actions, not because he wanted to make things right or wish to change what he did. The fruit you can see further on in Genesis where Jacob had to flee because Essau was mad with him. That doesn't show someone who took responsibility.

So a selfish way would be of one that cares more about consequence than of their standing. One who treats it as a temporary fix to a fear to cure a guilt, than one who wants to see permanent change. They tend to have vicious cycles of certain actions and don't take full responsibility. Its more emotional, but lack understanding and lack of action. So maybe along the lines of " I wanna be a Christian because I'm afraid of Hell." or " I repented, but then I ended up going back again and felt bad."

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In my experience, my repentance comes from a deep conviction I am having that is given to me by God or a light conviction given to me by my conscience. When I repent because of God, I usually end up being very sorry, falling down with tears expressing to God how sorry I am for what I did and go on to tell him I do not want him to leave me. My light convictions I typically just say enough is enough and change the behavior without God really making me feel that convicted while still being morally conscience about it.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

To answers your questions:

I know "Christianity" can be confusing. There are a lot of opinions out there.

Repentance is not a feeling; As Scripture says, godly sorrow leads to repentance; but it only leads to repentance and then it should leave. Guilt is something that is not of God that tries to hold you to stuff you repented from. Repentance should lead to feelings of peace (like you have never known) and joy (that transcends what is happening to you).

The motive of the heart is to get right with God (and be pleasing in your heavenly Father's sight) out of a recognition that God is real and an appreciation for what He did for you. This is why it requires a work of God to even be able to do it.

Repentance is simply coming into agreement with God and acting on that agreement. So, when we recognize something is sin in God's sight, we turn from it. God has to help us with that part, too, as anyone with an addiction or deeply entrenched habit can tell you. Paul talked a lot about the battle with the flesh and the importance of walking in the Spirit.

You will find that if you are trying to avoid sin simply out of a mindset that others inflicted on you, you won't be able to do it. This needs to be between you and God, because of what God said in the Scriptures and brings alive to you in His time.

True Christianity is about having a living relationship with God. You have to come to a place where you live out of that relationship. God enables it, but you have to be willing to follow Him. He won't make you. He has enabled your ability to choose throughout the process.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Question: "What is repentance and is it necessary for salvation?"

Answer:
Many understand the term repentance to mean “a turning from sin.” Regretting sin and turning from it is related to repentance, but it is not the precise meaning of the word. In the Bible, the word repentmeans “to change one’s mind.” The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions (Luke 3:8–14; Acts 3:19). In summarizing his ministry, Paul declares, “I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds” (Acts 26:20). The full biblical definition of repentance is a change of mind that results in a change of action.

What, then, is the connection between repentance and salvation? The book of Acts especially focuses on repentance in regard to salvation (Acts 2:38; 3:19; 11:18; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20). To repent, in relation to salvation, is to change your mind regarding sin and Jesus Christ. In Peter’s sermon on the day of Pentecost (Acts chapter 2), he concludes with a call for the people to repent (Acts 2:38). Repent from what? Peter is calling the people who rejected Jesus (Acts 2:36) to change their minds about that sin and to change their minds about Christ Himself, recognizing that He is indeed “Lord and Christ” (Acts 2:36). Peter is calling the people to change their minds, to abhor their past rejection of Christ, and to embrace faith in Him as both Messiah and Savior.

Repentance involves recognizing that you have thought wrongly in the past and determining to think aright in the future. The repentant person has “second thoughts” about the mindset he formally embraced. There is a change of disposition and a new way of thinking about God, about sin, about holiness, and about doing God’s will. True repentance is prompted by “godly sorrow,” and it “leads to salvation” (2 Corinthians 7:10).

Repentance and faith can be understood as two sides of the same coin. It is impossible to place your faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior without first changing your mind about your sin and about who Jesus is and what He has done. Whether it is repentance from willful rejection or repentance from ignorance or disinterest, it is a change of mind. Biblical repentance, in relation to salvation, is changing your mind from rejection of Christ to faith in Christ.

Repentance is not a work we do to earn salvation. No one can repent and come to God unless God pulls that person to Himself (John 6:44). Repentance is something God gives—it is only possible because of His grace (Acts 5:31; 11:18). No one can repent unless God grants repentance. All of salvation, including repentance and faith, is a result of God drawing us, opening our eyes, and changing our hearts. God’s longsuffering leads us to repentance (2 Peter 3:9), as does His kindness (Romans 2:4).

While repentance is not a work that earns salvation, repentance unto salvation does result in works. It is impossible to truly change your mind without that causing a change in action. In the Bible, repentance results in a change in behavior. That is why John the Baptist called people to “produce fruit in keeping with repentance” (Matthew 3:8). A person who has truly repented of his sin and exercised faith in Christ will give evidence of a changed life (2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 5:19–23; James 2:14–26).

To see what repentance looks like in real life, all we need is to do is turn to the story of Zacchaeus. Here was a man who cheated and stole and lived lavishly on his ill-gotten gains—until he met Jesus. At that point he had a radical change of mind: “Look, Lord!” said Zacchaeus. “Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount” (Luke 19:8). Jesus happily proclaimed that salvation had come to Zacchaeus’s house, and that even the tax collector was now “a son of Abraham” (verse 9)—a reference to Zacchaeus’s faith. The cheat became a philanthropist; the thief made restitution. That’s repentance, coupled with faith in Christ.

Repentance, properly defined, is necessary for salvation. Biblical repentance is changing your mind about your sin—no longer is sin something to toy with; it is something to be forsaken as we “flee from the coming wrath” (Matthew 3:7). It is also changing your mind about Jesus Christ—no longer is He to be mocked, discounted, or ignored; He is the Savior to be clung to; He is the Lord to be worshiped and adored.

www.gotquestions.org/repentance.html

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Genuine repentance just means we discontinue the practice of sinning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ashley - Repentance is one thing that is rarely ever explained in the 20th or 21st century church in the US. But I think that Dr Prince can clear up all your questions on the subject.

Upvote 0