Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No you dont see two baptisms. You see one baptism

John said "I baptize you in Water (1). He [Jesus] will baptize you in the Holy Spirit (2)"
Which baptism is the One Baptism? John's or Jesus'?

Is the One Baptism John's? Yes or No?
Is the One Baptism Jesus'? Yes or No?

Let your Yes be Yes and your No be No. Anything else is from Satan?

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not what I asked you. Let your Yes be Yes and your No be No. Anything else is from Satan.

Did the people of Acts 8:14-17 receive the Holy Spirit when they were baptized in water (in Jesus Name)? YES or NO?

No, it is rather obvious that they did not.

Yes, they were saved, you both forget Acts 2. To be saved, one would have done this just as they did Acts 2:38.

No, they didnt have miraculous gifts, which is what they wanted, which is why the apostles had to come to them and lay hands.

1 Corinthians 12:7-10

Cornelius STILL had to be baptized into water (obedience to the gospels command Romans 6:1-5). Cornelius was given miraculous gifts of tongues but he still needed to be baptized regardless.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John said "I baptize you in Water (1). He [Jesus] will baptize you in the Holy Spirit (2)"
Which baptism is the One Baptism? John's or Jesus'?

Is the One Baptism John's? Yes or No?
Is the One Baptism Jesus'? Yes or No?

Let your Yes be Yes and your No be No. Anything else is from Satan?

Say what you will of me, I will not be trapped by loaded questions aimed at failing no matter the answer.

Here is your one baptism 1 Peter 3:20-21
This is why you do it Romans 6:1-5 and 1 Corinthians 15:1-5
This is also why you do it Galatians 3:27
And Acts 2:38
Here is an example of someone doing that Acts 8:36-39

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, it is rather obvious that they did not.

Thank you! So it is agreed, they did NOT receive the Holy Spirit when they were baptized in water in Jesus Name. Next question... did they receive the Holy Spirit later...when the Apostles laid hands and prayed? Yes or No?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, they were saved, you both forget Acts 2. To be saved, one would have done this just as they did Acts 2:38.

No, they didnt have miraculous gifts, which is what they wanted, which is why the apostles had to come to them and lay hands.

1 Corinthians 12:7-10

Cornelius STILL had to be baptized into water (obedience to the gospels command Romans 6:1-5). Cornelius was given miraculous gifts of tongues but he still needed to be baptized regardless.

Act 8:15 - Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:

Act 8:16 - (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank you! So it is agreed, they did NOT receive the Holy Spirit when they were baptized in water in Jesus Name. Next question... did they receive the Holy Spirit later...when the Apostles laid hands and prayed? Yes or No?

Yes.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is water baptism and Paul is admonishing the Ephesians against division. He said the same to the Corinthians:

1Co 1:13 - Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Hi and BAPTISMA means WATER ?

The main reason that Paul COULD NEVER WATER BAPTIZE ANYONE is seen in 1 Cor 1:15 and reads Lest anyone should say that I had BAPTIZED for MY NAME !!

The word MY IS EMPHATIC and that means me , Paul !!

So far none have explained what BAPTISMA means AND we see that there is ONLY ONE BAPTISMA today , THE HOLY SPIRIT !!

dan p

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Instead of all this beating around the bush, why don't you just tell us which baptism he's talking about?

I already have. It was the first thing I said when I came into this thread.

CORRECT!

Exactly! Thank you. So we see than when they were baptized in water, they were NOT baptized in the Holy Spirit. This means water baptism and Spirit baptism are not one and the same.

So which of these baptism (water or Spirit) is the "One"?

A) Water Baptism, performed on earth by John and the Apostles in Jesus Name? Yes or No?
B) Holy Spirit Baptism, poured out by Jesus Christ in Heaven? Yes or No?

You can get this!!

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The main reason that Paul COULD NEVER WATER BAPTIZE ANYONE is seen in 1 Cor 1:15 and reads Lest anyone should say that I had BAPTIZED for MY NAME !!

The word MY IS EMPHATIC and that means me , Paul !!

So far none have explained what BAPTISMA means AND we see that there is ONLY ONE BAPTISMA today , THE HOLY SPIRIT !!

dan p

If Paul could not baptize anyone he wouldn't have baptized anyone.

And baptism today is the same as it has always been.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I already have. It was the first thing I said when I came into this thread.

CORRECT!

Exactly! Thank you. So we see than when they were baptized in water, they were NOT baptized in the Holy Spirit. This means water baptism and Spirit baptism are not one and the same.

So which of these baptism (water or Spirit) is the "One"?

A) Water Baptism, performed on earth by John and the Apostles in Jesus Name? Yes or No?
B) Holy Spirit Baptism, poured out by Jesus Christ in Heaven? Yes or No?

You can get this!!

In most situations they are done at the same time and are simply referred to as "baptism". There is generally no distinction made between one and the other. That is the reason Paul said "one baptism".

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Is this a question or a statement? The words are Strong's 907. baptizó which means "to dip, sink, or submerge". It does not mean "water". The word "Water" is Strong's 5204 "ὕδατι hydati". You can be baptizó (dunked) in water, in fire, in Spirit, or in mud, but Jesus Christ will dunk everyone in either the Holy Spirit or the Lake of Fire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In most situations they are done at the same time and are simply referred to as "baptism". There is generally no distinction made between one and the other. That is the reason Paul said "one baptism".

John gave CLEAR DISTINCTION between water baptism and the "One Baptism" when he said "I baptize you with water (baptism #2). He [Jesus] will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire (baptism #1)'.

The reason Paul said "One Baptism" is to show that having the Holy Spirit is more important than who dunked you in water and how it was done. It is to show that if we have the Holy Spirit from Jesus, we can be in Unity with all people who have the Holy Spirit, no matter how/when/by whom they were baptized in water.

On the contrary, if the One Baptism is water baptism, then everyone fights over who does it correctly, who performed it, did it happen before or after salvation? Is it necessary for Salvation? Do I say "In the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit"? Or did they say "In Jesus Name"? This is the confusion that comes from believing water submersion is the "One Baptism". It's never actually ONE like Jesus' Holy Spirit Baptism is!

The point is all that doesn't matter. What matters is that you have been Baptized by the Spirit into Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
John gave CLEAR DISTINCTION between water baptism and the "One Baptism" when he said "I baptize you with water (baptism #2). He [Jesus] will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire (baptism #1)'. The reason Paul said "One Baptism" is to show that having the Holy Spirit is more important than who dunked you in water and how it was done.

I'm certain if Paul meant that he would have said that. Else he would have mentioned that different people received the Holy Spirit from different people as well.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm certain if Paul meant that he would have said that. Else he would have mentioned that different people received the Holy Spirit from different people as well.

Have you been baptized with the Spirit by Jesus Christ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Act 8:15 - Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:

Act 8:16 - (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Then how do you explain this?

Acts 2 (The people in Jerusalem that Acts 8 refers to)
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.

44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;

45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

And How does one BECOME a disciple?
Matthew 28
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Just like the Eunuch in Acts 8:36-39

They didn't receive "miraculous gifts" until Peter and John was sent to them to lay hands upon them. See, miraculous gifts we passed on by apostles. No apostle, no passing of gifts to do miraculous wonders like Philip did.

Hence the reason Simon was so amazed and then tried purchasing it when the apostles came to lay hands.

Don't be fooled by that other posters loaded questions that catch you in a pickle, trapping you.

Those people were saved before the apostles came. The apostles came to give them "miraculous gifts" by laying of hands, not salvation. Because if that were the case, think about it, then we would need apostles now days to be saved, and people would seek salvation from men, not Christ. That other poster is not putting two and two together.

1 Peter 3:20-21

It's not that the water is some magical property that saves you, it is a command by the scriptures to do so, " a good conscience toward God", see also Romans 6:1-5 combined with 1 Corinthians 15:1-5. That is why we get dipped into water. "Eight souls were saved by water", "even now, baptism now saves you", reason "not for the removal of filth but a good conscience toward God".

You were on the right track before that other poster. He is cherry picking scripture and that lead him to forgetting what other scripture earlier had mentioned. The verses I put down easily show his belief is contradictory to the scripture. Anyone can twist a verse when cherry picking.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Then how do you explain this?

Acts 2 (The people in Jerusalem that Acts 8 refers to)
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.

44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;

45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

And How does one BECOME a disciple?
Matthew 28
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Just like the Eunuch in Acts 8:36-39

They didn't receive "miraculous gifts" until Peter and John was sent to them to lay hands upon them. See, miraculous gifts we passed on by apostles. No apostle, no passing of gifts to do miraculous wonders like Philip did.

Hence the reason Simon was so amazed and then tried purchasing it when the apostles came to lay hands.

Don't be fooled by that other posters loaded questions that catch you in a pickle, trapping you.

Those people were saved before the apostles came. The apostles came to give them "miraculous gifts" by laying of hands, not salvation. Because if that were the case, think about it, then we would need apostles now days to be saved, and people would seek salvation from men, not Christ. That other poster is not putting two and two together.

1 Peter 3:20-21

It's not that the water is some magical property that saves you, it is a command by the scriptures to do so, " a good conscience toward God", see also Romans 6:1-5 combined with 1 Corinthians 15:1-5. That is why we get dipped into water. "Eight souls were saved by water", "even now, baptism now saves you", reason "not for the removal of filth but a good conscience toward God".

You were on the right track before that other poster. He is cherry picking scripture and that lead him to forgetting what other scripture earlier had mentioned. The verses I put down easily show his belief is contradictory to the scripture. Anyone can twist a verse when cherry picking.

It is clear from the plain reading that the men of Samaria did not receive the Holy Spirit until Peter and John laid hands on them. Else the writer would not have said "For as yet He had fallen upon none of them".

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whether I have or have not been "baptized with the Spirit by Jesus Christ" has no bearing on the meaning of baptism.

If you have never received it, how are you qualified to discuss whether or not it is the "One Baptism"?

Upvote 0