Marital Status
Married
Hi to all and Eph 4:5 reads ,,One Lord , One Faith , One BAPTISM ,

What does ONE BAPTISM mean here ?

Is it a WATER BAPTISM ?

Is it a DRY BAPTISM ?

Is it a person ?

It is the Greek word BAPTISMA !

What does BA[PTISMA mean to the BODY OF CHRIST ?

Is there a meaning to Israel ?

What are you thoughts ??

dan p

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Is it a WATER BAPTISM ?

Is it a DRY BAPTISM ?

Is it a person ?

What are you thoughts ??

dan p

Question: "What does it mean that there is only one baptism (Ephesians 4:5)?"

Answer:
Ephesians 4:4-6 says, "There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all." Since there are different "baptisms" referred to in the New Testament, it can be a bit confusing when we read about "one baptism." The word baptize always means “to submerge or immerse.” So, when baptism is discussed, it involves a person being totally submerged into something else. Baptism implies being "all in." It also implies that a change has taken place. Baptized people are changed people.

Generally speaking, there are two types of baptism: a physical (water) baptism and a spiritual baptism. One is literal, done in water; the other is figurative, accomplished in the Spirit.

Water baptism was commanded by Jesus for all of His followers (Acts 1:8). Colossians 2:12 says, "Having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead." Being baptized with water does not save us; faith in the finished work of Christ saves us (Ephesians 2:8-9; Romans 10:9). But water baptism is an outward indication of an inward change. It is a wonderful picture of Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. Being immersed in water symbolizes the cleansing of our hearts and the washing away of our sin by the blood of Jesus (Acts 2:38). Through water baptism, believers publicly proclaim their testimony that they have been born again by the grace of God.

Romans 6:3 speaks of a spiritual baptism: "Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?" This spiritual baptism “into Christ” is performed by the Holy Spirit the moment a repentant sinner accepts the gift of salvation and is born again (John 3:5; Ephesians 2:18; 1 Corinthians 12:13; Acts 8:12). We respond to the Holy Spirit's drawing and are born into God's family (John 6:44; 1 Corinthians 6:19). By this "baptism," we are identified with the death and resurrection of Jesus; from then on, we consider ourselves "crucified with Christ" (Galatians 2:20). We choose to lose ourselves and be immersed in Him (Matthew 16:24), and the Holy Spirit makes that happen.

The baptism of the Holy Spirit was promised by John the Baptist, who said that Jesus “will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire" (Luke 3:16). No one understood what John meant until after Jesus had ascended back into heaven (Acts 1:9). Jesus had promised the disciples that He would send "the Comforter" (John 14:26; 15:26; Luke 24:49). His followers were to wait in Jerusalem until the "promise from the Father" came (Acts 1:4). That promise came in Acts 2. The Holy Spirit was poured out on the disciples, and they were never the same again. They were bold in their witness, empowered to perform miracles, willing to endure persecution, and all but one died a martyr's death. The church had begun. Throughout the book of Acts, that baptism by the Holy Spirit was repeated as people came to know Jesus, both Jew and Gentile, and served to unify the church as the Jewish believers realized that the Holy Spirit was poured out on their Gentile brothers as well.

There are some differences of opinion among believers concerning the baptism of the Spirit. Some Christians believe Holy Spirit baptism is identical to being baptized into Christ and that it occurs at the moment of salvation, even if the believer is unconscious of it. Other Christians believe Holy Spirit baptism is to be equated with the filling of the Spirit and that often occurs after salvation—years later, perhaps—as the believer opens himself up to the Spirit’s control. Some believe that the baptism of the Spirit is always accompanied by signs (such as speaking in tongues), and others believe that such signs are unnecessary.

When Paul wrote to the Ephesian believers about "one baptism," he was reminding them that, regardless of their background or nationality, they all served the same Lord, shared the same faith, and had experienced the same baptism. He could be referring to water baptism; i.e., all believers have the same testimony of salvation and have been baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Or he could be referring to Spirit baptism; i.e., all believers have been placed into the Body of Christ through the Spirit’s power. Either way, the emphasis is on unity among Christians. Verse 3 says, "Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." The Holy Spirit works to unify believers and provides assurance that they are children of God (Romans 8:16; Ephesians 1:13-14). By reminding the church that they all had a similar testimony and that they were all partakers in the same Holy Spirit, Paul encouraged them to work together for the cause of Christ so that the message of redemption would continue to spread throughout the world (Matthew 28:19).

www.gotquestions.org/one-baptism.html

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Question: "What does it mean that there is only one baptism (Ephesians 4:5)?"

Answer:
Ephesians 4:4-6 says, "There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all." Since there are different "baptisms" referred to in the New Testament, it can be a bit confusing when we read about "one baptism." The word baptize always means “to submerge or immerse.” So, when baptism is discussed, it involves a person being totally submerged into something else. Baptism implies being "all in." It also implies that a change has taken place. Baptized people are changed people.

Generally speaking, there are two types of baptism: a physical (water) baptism and a spiritual baptism. One is literal, done in water; the other is figurative, accomplished in the Spirit.

Water baptism was commanded by Jesus for all of His followers (Acts 1:8). Colossians 2:12 says, "Having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead." Being baptized with water does not save us; faith in the finished work of Christ saves us (Ephesians 2:8-9; Romans 10:9). But water baptism is an outward indication of an inward change. It is a wonderful picture of Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. Being immersed in water symbolizes the cleansing of our hearts and the washing away of our sin by the blood of Jesus (Acts 2:38). Through water baptism, believers publicly proclaim their testimony that they have been born again by the grace of God.

Romans 6:3 speaks of a spiritual baptism: "Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?" This spiritual baptism “into Christ” is performed by the Holy Spirit the moment a repentant sinner accepts the gift of salvation and is born again (John 3:5; Ephesians 2:18; 1 Corinthians 12:13; Acts 8:12). We respond to the Holy Spirit's drawing and are born into God's family (John 6:44; 1 Corinthians 6:19). By this "baptism," we are identified with the death and resurrection of Jesus; from then on, we consider ourselves "crucified with Christ" (Galatians 2:20). We choose to lose ourselves and be immersed in Him (Matthew 16:24), and the Holy Spirit makes that happen.

The baptism of the Holy Spirit was promised by John the Baptist, who said that Jesus “will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire" (Luke 3:16). No one understood what John meant until after Jesus had ascended back into heaven (Acts 1:9). Jesus had promised the disciples that He would send "the Comforter" (John 14:26; 15:26; Luke 24:49). His followers were to wait in Jerusalem until the "promise from the Father" came (Acts 1:4). That promise came in Acts 2. The Holy Spirit was poured out on the disciples, and they were never the same again. They were bold in their witness, empowered to perform miracles, willing to endure persecution, and all but one died a martyr's death. The church had begun. Throughout the book of Acts, that baptism by the Holy Spirit was repeated as people came to know Jesus, both Jew and Gentile, and served to unify the church as the Jewish believers realized that the Holy Spirit was poured out on their Gentile brothers as well.

There are some differences of opinion among believers concerning the baptism of the Spirit. Some Christians believe Holy Spirit baptism is identical to being baptized into Christ and that it occurs at the moment of salvation, even if the believer is unconscious of it. Other Christians believe Holy Spirit baptism is to be equated with the filling of the Spirit and that often occurs after salvation—years later, perhaps—as the believer opens himself up to the Spirit’s control. Some believe that the baptism of the Spirit is always accompanied by signs (such as speaking in tongues), and others believe that such signs are unnecessary.

When Paul wrote to the Ephesian believers about "one baptism," he was reminding them that, regardless of their background or nationality, they all served the same Lord, shared the same faith, and had experienced the same baptism. He could be referring to water baptism; i.e., all believers have the same testimony of salvation and have been baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Or he could be referring to Spirit baptism; i.e., all believers have been placed into the Body of Christ through the Spirit’s power. Either way, the emphasis is on unity among Christians. Verse 3 says, "Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." The Holy Spirit works to unify believers and provides assurance that they are children of God (Romans 8:16; Ephesians 1:13-14). By reminding the church that they all had a similar testimony and that they were all partakers in the same Holy Spirit, Paul encouraged them to work together for the cause of Christ so that the message of redemption would continue to spread throughout the world (Matthew 28:19).

www.gotquestions.org/one-baptism.html

Hi and but the ONE BAPTISM in Eph 4:5 means ONE BAPTISMA !!

This Greek word BAPTISMA is used 22 times from from Matt 3:7 THROUGH Eph 4:5 !!

The Greek word BAPTISMA means a BAPTIZER !!

Under the LAW OF MOSES it is WATER BAPTISM !!

Under Grace it is being PLACED / BAPTIZED into the Body of Christ as in 1 Cor 12:13 !!

dan p

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Is it a WATER BAPTISM ?

Is it a DRY BAPTISM ?

Is it a person ?

What are you thoughts ??

dan p

It is water baptism and Paul is admonishing the Ephesians against division. He said the same to the Corinthians:

1Co 1:13 - Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Is it a WATER BAPTISM ?

Is it a DRY BAPTISM ?

Is it a person ?

What are you thoughts ??

dan p

Baptize means to "submerge" as when a dirty dish is dunked in soapy water. The cup is filled and it goes completely into the water. Interestingly, Jesus never dunked anyone in water (John 4:2) and Paul says "Christ did not send me to baptize in water (1 Corinthians 1:17). This is because Christ Jesus baptized people with His Holy Spirit, and Paul knew that was the One Baptism that matters most.

The One Baptism of Ephesians 4:5 is when the Holy Spirit fills your soul and your soul is completely (submerged) in the Holy Spirit. This happens when you are Born Again. John baptized in water but even after they repented and were dunked in water, John STILL pointed everyone to the One Baptism when he spoke of the Baptism that Jesus Christ would give, the Baptism of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 3:11, Mark 1:8, John 1:26). Jesus Christ giving you His Holy Spirit from Heaven is the One Baptism.

EXAMPLES of the One Baptism, with and without water
1) Paul met a man who was Baptized by John the Baptist (in water) but had still never received the One Baptism of the Holy Spirit (Act 19:2-5). It wasn't until they heard and believed in Jesus that they received the One Baptism.
2) The believing thief on the Cross received the One Baptism when he believed in Jesus, he died, and went to Paradise that same day (was saved), even though he NEVER was dunked in water (Luke 23:43)

For example, I received the One Baptism when I believed I was going to Hell and asked Jesus Christ to come into my heart. I was IMMEDIATELY filled with the Holy Spirit while kneeling at my parent bed. I wasn't baptized in water until a week later at church. Some people, repent, go down in water, and come out calling on the Name of the Lord Jesus and receive the Spirit like Jesus did, coming out of the water. Other people are baptized in water, but don't actually receive the Holy Spirit until many years later when they are Born Again. The point here is that the One Baptism is when God pours out the Holy Spirit into your soul (aka when God places your soul completely IN the Holy Spirit), not necessary when you are dunked in water. Water Baptism is a SYMBOL of Spiritual Baptism (1 Peter 3:21). Water does not go into your soul and clean it. Only the Holy Spirit can do that.

Those who believe they are saved because they are Baptized in Water are the modern-day Pharisees who believed they were saved because they were circumcised. True Circumcision is that of the HEART, not cutting of the flesh, and so also is Baptism, one of the Soul, not the outer washing of the flesh.

People who were baptized in water but have never been filled with the Holy Spirit do not know how to make this discernment correctly. They cannot rightly divide the Word "Baptism" into Water and Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is water baptism and Paul is admonishing the Ephesians against division. He said the same to the Corinthians:

1Co 1:13 - Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Water does not enter the soul and clean it. Only the Holy Spirit can do that. And you misused that Scripture to try and prove your point. It says "In the Name of". That means when you hear the Name of Jesus and BELIEVE it, you are Baptised in Jesus' Name, whether you are dunked in water or not.

I know this because Jesus Christ poured out His Holy Spirit into my soul when I heard the Name Jesus, believed, and called upon Him to come into my heart. At that moment I was Baptized in Jesus' Name by receiving the Holy Spirit. I wasn't dunked in water until a week later.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Water does not enter the soul and clean it. Only the Holy Spirit can do that. And you misused that Scripture to try and prove your point. It says "In the Name of". That means when you hear the Name of Jesus and BELIEVE it, you are Baptised in Jesus' Name, whether you are dunked in water or not.

I know this because Jesus Christ poured out His Holy Spirit into my soul when I heard the Name Jesus, believed, and called upon Him to come into my heart. At that moment I was Baptized in Jesus' Name by receiving the Holy Spirit. I wasn't dunked in water until a week later.

I have not misused anything thank you. And a mere belief in Jesus does not bring the Holy Spirit. That idea is clearly refuted by scripture.

• Agree
Reactions: Acts2:38
Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I have not misused anything thank you. And a mere belief in Jesus does not bring the Holy Spirit. That idea is clearly refuted by scripture.

You say Faith in Jesus does not bring the Holy Spirit. I say Faith in Jesus Christ, calling upon His Name is the ONLY WAY to receive the Holy Spirit. Now tells us.... what WORKS do you claim must also be done to receive the Holy Spirit besides believing, confessing sin, and calling upon His Name? Go ahead and share your False Doctrine of Works with the WORLD!!!

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You say Faith in Jesus does not bring the Holy Spirit. I say Faith in Jesus Christ, calling upon His Name is the ONLY WAY to receive the Holy Spirit. Now tells us.... what WORKS do you claim must also be done to receive the Holy Spirit besides believing, confessing sin, and calling upon His Name? Go ahead and share your False Doctrine of Works with the WORLD!!!

See Acts 8:14-17.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
See Acts 8:14-17.
Great. Thanks for using Scriptures.... let's examine the Word:

Acts 8:14-17
"Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 15 who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: 16 (for as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) 17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost"

Here we see 2 baptisms

1) In water, in Jesus Name
2) In Spirit, by laying of of hands

Which one of these two is the "ONE BAPTISM"? I have received BOTH....

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

"Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 15 who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: 16 (for as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) 17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost"

Here we see 2 baptisms

Which do you say it the ONE BAPTISM? I have received BOTH.

Who laid hands on you?

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who laid hands on you?

That is of topic from the OP. First answer my question which I asked first and then I will answer your question about who laid hands on me...

Of the 2 baptisms the people received in Acts 8:14-17...

2) in the Spirit, by laying on of hands

Which of these 2 is the "One Baptism" of Ephesians 4:5?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That is of topic from the OP. First answer my question which I asked first and then I will answer your question about who laid hands on me...

Of the 2 baptisms the people received in Acts 8:14-17...

2) in the Spirit, by laying on of hands

Which of these 2 is the "One Baptism" of Ephesians 4:5?

The "one baptism" of Ephesians is water baptism. It is a simple statement meant to encourage unity and is not meant as a restatement of the entirety of Christian teaching.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The "one baptism" of Ephesians is water baptism. It is a simple statement meant to encourage unity and is not meant as a restatement of the entirety of Christian teaching.

If the One Baptism is water baptism, then why did John the Baptist point his disciples to another baptism from Jesus Christ? As it is written "I baptize you with water, but He (Jesus) will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and Fire". (Matthew 3:11).

Here again we see 2 baptisms:

1) John's water baptism
2) Jesus' baptism with the Holy Spirit and Fire

Which of THESE is the One Baptism?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When did the People of Acts 8:14-17 receive Jesus' baptism of the Holy Spirit? When they were dunked in water in Jesus' name, or when the Apostle's laid hands on them and prayed?

They received remission of sins through water baptism but there was no one present with the authority to chrismate them. Phillip the deacon did not have that power so he sent for Peter and John.

• Informative
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If the One Baptism is water baptism, then why did John the Baptist point his disciples to another baptism from Jesus Christ? As it is written "I baptize you with water, but He (Jesus) will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and Fire". (Matthew 3:11).

Here again we see 2 baptisms:

1) John's water baptism
2) Jesus' baptism with the Holy Spirit and Fire

Which of THESE is the One Baptism?

Instead of all this beating around the bush, why don't you just tell us which baptism he's talking about?

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here we see 2 baptisms

Which one of these two is the "ONE BAPTISM"? I have received BOTH....

No you dont see two baptisms. You see one baptism and they wished to have miraculous gifts just like the Samaritans.

Your really arguing against being dipped in water?

1 Peter 3:20-21
Titus 3:5
Acts 8:36-39
Acts 22:16
John 3:3 and 5
Romans 6:1-5 combine with 1 Corinthians 15:1-5

The ONLY 2 events were there was the Holy Spirit before baptism was in Acts 2 and Acts 10, and Cornelius STILL had to be baptized into water after. Why? because God was showing the Jews that Gentiles were chosen as well see Acts 11

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They received remission of sins through water baptism but there was no one present with the authority to chrismate them. Phillip the deacon did not have that power so he sent for Peter and John.

That's not what I asked you. Let your Yes be Yes and your No be No. Anything else is from Satan.

Did the people of Acts 8:14-17 receive the Holy Spirit when they were baptized in water (in Jesus Name)? YES or NO?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's not what I asked you. Let your Yes be Yes and your No be No. Anything else is from Satan.

Did the people of Acts 8:14-17 receive the Holy Spirit when they were baptized in water (in Jesus Name)? YES or NO?

No, it is rather obvious that they did not.

Upvote 0