What does conviction from the Holy Spirit look / feel like?

Trayalc

Jan 2, 2019
Georgia
✟32,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
John 16:8 says that the Holy Spirit convicts us regarding sin. My question is, what is that conviction supposed to look like? I've always had in my mind that the Holy Spirit's conviction may be some sort of inner turmoil or anxiety that is there to let us know we're not in the right place. But then I look at Philippians 4:6-7, which tells us not to worry or be anxious about anything. Does this mean anxiety does not come from the Holy Spirit? What exactly does / should conviction from the Holy Spirit look like, then?

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate

PizzaAddict

Jun 23, 2019
Krakow
✟11,331.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
John 16:8 says that the Holy Spirit convicts us regarding sin. My question is, what is that conviction supposed to look like? I've always had in my mind that the Holy Spirit's conviction may be some sort of inner turmoil or anxiety that is there to let us know we're not in the right place. But then I look at Philippians 4:6-7, which tells us not to worry or be anxious about anything. Does this mean anxiety does not come from the Holy Spirit? What exactly does / should conviction from the Holy Spirit look like, then?

I personally expeirenced it once and it was sorrowfull even still rememebering it. It doesn't feel like anxiety it feels more like "what have I done I'm sorry " and feeling hopeless and disgusted of being myself.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

To me, the conviction of the Holy Spirit is a conviction concerning what is truly good and what is truly evil. But, conviction in this sense is not just a cognitive assent. It is a love for what is truly good and repulsion towards what is evil. We love the good not for itself, but because it reflects the intention and nature of the Good Creator, Redeemer, Sustainer.

If we experience anxiety, it is because we know the truth while simultaneously knowing we don't always abide in it. Grace is the only balm for that kind of anxiety. imho

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To me, the conviction of the Holy Spirit is a conviction concerning what is truly good and what is truly evil. But, conviction in this sense is not just a cognitive assent. It is a love for what is truly good and repulsion towards what is evil. We love the good not for itself, but because it reflects the intention and nature of the Good Creator, Redeemer, Sustainer.

If we experience anxiety, it is because we know the truth while simultaneously knowing we don't always abide in it. Grace is the only balm for that kind of anxiety. imho

You have put it wonderfully and I feel the same.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The conviction of the Spirit is the realisation that you have done something that breaches God's holy law and that you should confess it so that you can be forgiven and cleansed from it.

Any feeling of hopelessness, condemnation, or depression about sin is not from the Holy Spirit, but a condemnation bomb from the devil. Holy Spirit conviction always lets you know how to get things right with God over anything He convicts you about. He can also give you advance warning that something you might be intending to do is not according to God's standards and comes with guidance about how to avoid doing it.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟102,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Keeping reading. "about sin, because people do not believe in me ... (John 16:9)" The Holy Spirit convicts a lost person about their unbelief in Jesus Christ. Take Paul for example. In Romans 7, he says, "But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead. Once I was alive apart from the law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death (Romans 7:8-10)." Salvation is the restoration of the life of God by being born again of the Spirit of God through faith in Jesus Christ. Paul says that through obedience to the law he would have life. But, the law did its job by stirring up more sin in his life and he recognized his spiritual death and need for the life of God. He, in essence, was convicted; found guilty. Thankfully, he also found out that his punishment was death and that Jesus took it all for him (and us). This may be different for everybody, but this is how I see the conviction of the Holy Spirit. And, no, I don't believe anxiety (i.e. fear) comes from the Holy Spirit (see 1 John 4:18).

Upvote 0