What does Christianity say about ghosts?

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if I believe in ghosts or not, but in the Bible, it speaks about demons and angels as being ''spirits'' within the material world. But, no mention of ghosts. Does the Bible specifically refute the idea of the paranormal? Is it sinful to believe in ghosts?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is a language thing. "Spirit" (from the Latin) and "ghost" (from the German) mean pretty much the same thing.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,245,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not sure if I believe in ghosts or not, but in the Bible, it speaks about demons and angels as being ''spirits'' within the material world. But, no mention of ghosts. Does the Bible specifically refute the idea of the paranormal? Is it sinful to believe in ghosts?

No.

• Informative
Reactions: Deidre32
Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
upload_2019-7-15_15-21-26.png

• Informative
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟246,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Angels are angels (men) / demons are the disembodied spirits of the Genesis 6, union of women and sons of God ( that is my belief ) and were used by God in the New Testament to help identify Jesus as the promised Messiah and too in the early part of the church for the apostles to also authenticate them as following in Jesus ministry .

• Informative
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think they believed in ghost....

Mark 6:49 but when they saw him walking on the sea they thought it was a ghost, and cried out,
Strongs 5326 phantasm....an apparition, ghost, spirit, phantom.

Matt 14:26 But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear.
Strongs 5326 again.

Luke 24:37 But they were startled and frightened, thinking they had seen a spirit. (some translations say ghost.)
4151. pneuma

Was this Samuel or a demon?

1 Sam 28:11Then the woman said, “Whom shall I bring up for you?” He said, “Bring up Samuel for me.” 12When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out with a loud voice. And the woman said to Saul, “Why have you deceived me? You are Saul.”13The king said to her, “Do not be afraid. What do you see?” And the woman said to Saul, “I see a god coming up out of the earth.” 14He said to her, “What is his appearance?” And she said, “An old man is coming up, and he is wrapped in a robe.” And Saul knew that it was Samuel, and he bowed with his face to the ground and paid homage.

Upvote 0

Kris Jordan

Acts 4:12
May 1, 2019
Southern California
Visit site
✟46,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi Deidre32,

Regarding the spirits of those who have died (i.e., "ghosts"): When a believer dies, their spirit immediately goes to be with Jesus in Heaven. However, when an unbeliever dies, their spirit immediately goes to Hades to await final judgment.

Regarding the paranormal (i.e., "ghost sightings, hauntings, etc."): Satan and his demonic armies are always behind these types of "sightings" or "experiences" in an effort to undermine the truth of God's word and cause people to believe things that are contrary to it. In other words, when God says that it is appointed for man to die once and then face judgment (Hebrews 9:27), Satan and his demonic armies seek to thwart that truth by manifesting themselves in such a way as to make people believe that when they die, their spirit can come back to visit family members, or come back as another person through reincarnation, or speak through fortune tellers or seances, or possess buildings and wreak havoc in the night, etc. It's all just a ploy to deceive and mislead. And we are to steer far away from anything having to do with the demonic underworld.

• Ephesians 6:12 -- Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟709,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's exactly what it is. The forces of darkness can easily appear as something else.

yes ... and can appear as dead family members as well ... that is they don't have to appear as something evil... probably why the Lord wants us to know the dead are in fact in the grave and don't know nothing.

Ecclesiastes 9:5

For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten.

2 Corinthians 11:14

And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The church I attended in high school was a King James only group. the pastor once told me there was a DIFFERENCE between the "Holy Ghost" and the "Holy Spirit." I asked for a scripture reference on that. He promised to get back to me on it.

That was 1972. I am still waiting.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Eklypised

Oct 14, 2019
South Carolina
✟9,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Isaiah 8:19
When someone tells you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living?

Deuteronomy 18:11
or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead,

1 Samuel 28:8
So Saul disguised himself, putting on other clothes, and at night he and two men went to the woman. "Consult a spirit for me," he said, "and bring up for me the one I name."

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0