WHAT DOES BINDING AND LOOSING MEAN IN MATT 18:18 ?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi to all and Matt 18:18 reads , Verily I say unto you , Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven , and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven !!

What say you and what is its meaning for today ?

dan p

It is a traditional authority held by the most esteemed teachers of Israel. In short, it is the authority to interpret the law and apply it to some circumstance or another. That thr apostles were given that authority was their elevation to leadership. Perhaps the most famous exercise of that authority was the Council of Jerusalem decision not to require circumcision of gentile converts, see Acts 15:1-29.

That apostolic authority has been handed down through history to the Patriarchs and bishops of the original apostolic Churches. Througbout history, additional Councils have been held such as Nicea I and II, Chalcedon, etc., to resolve disputes in the Church.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a traditional authority held by the most esteemed teachers of Israel. In short, it is the authority to interpret the law and apply it to some circumstance or another. That thr apostles were given that authority was their elevation to leadership. Perhaps the most famous exercise of that authority was the Council of Jerusalem decision not to require circumcision of gentile converts, see Acts 15:1-29.

That apostolic authority has been handed down through history to the Patriarchs and bishops of the original apostolic Churches. Througbout history, additional Councils have been held such as Nicea I and II, Chalcedon, etc., to resolve disputes in the Church.

Hi and Acts 15:1-29 is a good verse to use , especially verse 2 !!

What do you think of John 20:23 ?
dan p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dkml

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2018
West Moonah
✟28,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

And exactly on whose authority has "apostolic authority" been handed down?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And exactly on whose authority has "apostolic authority" been handed down?

It was handed down on the authority of the apostles. See Matthias at Acts 1:26, Phillip through Acts 8, and Barnabas at Acts 13.

Upvote 0

Dkml

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2018
West Moonah
✟28,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It was handed down on the authority of the apostles. See Matthias at Acts 1:26, Phillip through Acts 8, and Barnabas at Acts 13.
Did the local churches appoint leaders or did only the apostles or someone directly commissioned by an apostle do so.?

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi to all and Matt 18:18 reads , Verily I say unto you , Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven , and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven !!

dan p

First we need to keep the verse in its context.

Matthew 18:
15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

The binding and loosing is part and parcel of church discipline. It simply means that when two or more church leaders ( Jesus was speaking to the apostles) decide on a course of action- God agrees!

Examples are:

Acts 5: Ananias and Sapphira

also: 1 Cor. 5:1-5 with the man having sex with his either step mom or mom.
and then his restoration in 2 Cor. 2:5-7 though that is debatable by some it is the same person).

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did the local churches appoint leaders or did only the apostles or someone directly commissioned by an apostle do so.?

there is no "apostolic succession" as declared by the RCC. The apostles started appointing pastor-teachers, and then handed that down to local leaders. Titus was told by Paul to appoint elders in all the towns and Titus was not an apostle.

Once the original apostles died- the office of Apostle died as well. They were the foundation builders. The foundation has been laid. The apostles were handed the authority to instruct the church in doctrine. NOw we preserve, protect and pass on what was given. there is no new doctrine to be had.

Reactions: Prince_Ali
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some things said right here.. are not in the word of GOD at all. They ADD to the word of God. Some can see some cannot. ...this is why its wise to watch where you cast your pearls. Meaning they can see..do not understand..

As He said.. if you doubt..let not that man think he will get anything from God. They get exactly what they believe. Faith works both ways. And just what do some think believe GOD will do? He will NEVER go against your free will. You already told HIM what you believe.. Thats what you will receive. For Gods word is His will.

So.. talking dead still rise.. deaf still hear..on and on. Nothing has changed.... head on over to some 3rd world nation and see how wonderful great the power of God is moving..still working. Ask.. what is the Father doing? Some give the classics words but have no idea what He is doing.. for all the EVIL int his world the Father is doing MORE GOOD then all the evil.

Like one said.. be on a island.. you see this book. you never heard of it.. and now be like a child.. see children believe ANYTHING told to them. Do we now?

Guess what song is playing right now HAHA what are the ODDS "people get ready.. JESUS IS COMING" WOW awesome!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

dan p

first we must remember what the context of this is in. It is in church discipline!

15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

It is simply the authority to hold people under the punishment for their sins or to free them from the consequences of their sin. A perfect example of this is found in Acts 5 with Ananias and Sephira.
Here Peter held them responsible fo rtheir sin and called on the death penalty!

Paul exercised this also in Corinthianms with the man who was sleeping with his stepmother and ordered him handed over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh.

Upvote 0

k rozier

Sep 21, 2019
n wilkesboro
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi and Acts 15:1-29 is a good verse to use , especially verse 2 !!

What do you think of John 20:23 ?
dan p
No mention of authority that I see. Always authority thru Jesus
christ.
" What is bound on earth to my understanding refers to what our life of faith (obedience to the
word and our conscience) and is recorded during our lifetime on Earth . Then bound in Heaven" refers to (by cause and effect) will be recorded in our after life for judgment, the eternal world, Heaven. What is loosed (loss of faith and obedience to the Word) on Earth, our physical lifetime that is, results in (cause and effect) also judgment of a lifetime ( in our entering the eternal world. That is why both faith and works are together needed. Of equal weight, not just belief and faith in the Word but (also as james repeatedly said) but together our works , our obedience and love...golden rule...etc.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is indeed an interesting question. But what does it have to do with Dispensationalism?

Hi Biblewriter and many like the RCC says it is for to day and we need to know how to answer !

One says that BINDING and LOOSING means to FORBID and to PERMIT !!

And two of the verbs in Matt 18:18 are in the Greek PAST TENSE and and two are in the Greek FUTURE TENSE , SHALL BE /ESPMAI !!

The verse that answers what BINDING and LOOSING means is John 20:23 !!

John 20:23 presents a NEAR VIEW and a FAR VIEW of how the apostles can REMIT SINS !!

dan p

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

dan p

Christ was giving the Apostles the authority to bind and loose which they passed down to Bishops and Bishops passed down to Priest

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No mention of authority that I see. Always authority thru Jesus
christ.
" What is bound on earth to my understanding refers to what our life of faith (obedience to the
word and our conscience) and is recorded during our lifetime on Earth . Then bound in Heaven" refers to (by cause and effect) will be recorded in our after life for judgment, the eternal world, Heaven. What is loosed (loss of faith and obedience to the Word) on Earth, our physical lifetime that is, results in (cause and effect) also judgment of a lifetime ( in our entering the eternal world. That is why both faith and works are together needed. Of equal weight, not just belief and faith in the Word but (also as james repeatedly said) but together our works , our obedience and love...golden rule...etc.

The binding and loosing of Matt. 17 is simply a matter of chruch discipline and is for elders only. Look closely at the context- it is directly in line with church discipline. Binding and loosing simply means that if the apostles bind the consequences of a sin to someone- then that person will recieve the wages thereof. Two examples of this are Ananias and Sephira in Acts, and the son who slept with either his mother or step mother in corinthians.

Both were bound to their sin. IN one case it meant death and in the other being handed over to Satan for a season.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ was giving the Apostles the authority to bind and loose which they passed down to Bishops and Bishops passed down to Priest

Hi and show us where the authority to BIND and to LOOSE was passed on down ??

As I have said John 20:23 shows EXACTLY what BINDING and LOOSING mean !!

dan p

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party

These people have no more authority in Christ that any other believer has.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

dan p
Did you ever see or learn about a Sheriff or an appointed Deputy in Law Enforcement serving a warrant or delivering a summons?

Did they just type it up at home themselves, or was it given to them to do by the proper legal authority over them ?

In the original languages and the ways of thinking/living at the time, this is 'the same' for binding and loosing - it is not originating in decision nor in power in the disciple or elder or apostle or messenger or teacher or member in the body of Christ, no.

The origin is from the Father in heaven, to be accomplished "on earth as it is (already) in heaven"... all authority in heaven and in earth and under the earth has been or is being brought under One Name - the Name of Yahushua Hamashiach, Jesus Messiah.

It has nothing to do with dispensationalism as far as I know.

Upvote 0