What does a personal relationship with Jesus mean?

David_AB

Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
England
✟71,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When people say they have a personal relationship with Jesus, what does that mean?

Do they mean from reading His word and knowing Him that way?
Do they mean it's a two way thing.

I'm confused because I don't feel I have a personal relationship and therefore can't be saved.

I'm not very good at relationships.
I find it hard to get close to real physical people. So how am I supposed to have a relationship with someone I can't see?

Last edited:

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When people say they have a perronap relationship with Jesus, what does that mean?

I'm confused because I don't feel I have a personal relationship and therefore can't be saved.

I find it hard to get close to real physical people. So how am I supposed to have a rekarelation with someone I can't see?

Jesus lives in the heart of the Christian. This is not a fancy. This is a real reality. It is the heart that cry’s out to God. It is with the heart the believing soul has a relationship with Christ. How does one know they are being truthful? The persons heart tells them so.

Scripture says;
Hebrews 11:6 (NASB)
And without faith it is impossible to please [Him,] for he who comes to God must believe that He is and [that] He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

It is this inward Christ that is to be sought after. This person that has taken up residency in the heart. Search for this God. Knowing that God loves righteousness and in doing righteousness in all things He most assuredly will be found.

Blessings,

Much love in Christ, Not me

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
When people say they have a perronap relationship with Jesus, what does that mean?

I find it hard to get close to real physical people. So how am I supposed to have a rekarelation with someone I can't see?
It means you can "relate" to one another, cause that is the whole basis of the word, "relationship" that you know of very many things you have in common, or have the same feelings and emotions about...

And by that, be communicating with one another regularly, knowing some of each others thoughts, ect... Be sensing each other and sometimes knowing each others thoughts, ect...

You identities are, in part, at least, wrapped up in one another to a greater or lesser degree or another...

There is a two sided conversation going on in your mind sometimes, one is you and the other is God, sometimes where you can have a thought, and in the very next thought you have, have and get an answer or answers due to like minds thinking a like or being on the same page, or something like that, knowing one another a bit or a lot...

God Bless!

Reactions: David_AB
Upvote 0

geodub

Jan 28, 2019
Memphis
Visit site
✟16,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Part of any relationship is getting to know one another. As you get to know Jesus (by His Spirit and in His Word) there will be ups and downs, agreements and disagreements; though it all He is with us through faith.

Like any relationship there will be communication on many levels: emotional, intellectual, by His nature, in His presence, felt, unfelt, intuition, conscience... there are many ways He relates to us. I would say, rest in Him and give yourself room to grow.

Just as He is not one thing, so you are not just one thing. We are made of many parts and relate to others in many ways. Be a peace, He is with you.

If you seek Him, you will find Him, if you seek with your whole heart.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Thats a good point. I suggest you build relationships with other people. One fold of sharing the gospel is that its impacted you, but the other fold is your desire to have others experience the same salvation that you have.

Its like a good meal, or good book, or good advice, or even a good friend. Didnt it impacted your life? Don't you want others to enjoy what you have enjoyed. The heart of Jesus is displayed through the two greatest commandments, love God, and love others as yourself. They work hand in hand.

Loving God is getting to know God through the Word. Loving others is sharing that love for God through word of mouth and application of his teachings. Those two things are what makes up the relationship with God.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think this is one of the best questions one could ever ask. I'm standing at the exact same crossroads with you my friend. I am a new Christian and have been reading everything I can get my hands on to get closer in my walk with God. Some things I've learned so far:
I have read a million testimonies where new-comers to God say a seemingly haphazard prayer such as "God, if you're real.......fill in the blank", and they're instantly delivered/changed/transformed. This usually accompanies a great love and gratitude towards Him for setting them free. These testimonies of instant change are usually people who are very broken from addiction/abuse/deep pain and therefore have nothing to lose and submit all right there and then. I am not in such a place. And so I believe it's going to happen more slowly for me unfortunately. As everyone here has mentioned, staying in His Word daily is a #1. Praying to him until it becomes habitual is another #1. Following His commandments and repenting if you break them is another #1 (especially regarding false idols). In fact, if you can follow commandment #1 (the most important), the remaining you will follow automatically. This requires fully submitting. I thought I was already doing this but I cannot feel the deep love for God that some of my fellow Christians do. I really want to. But I think I have too much pride. I've been praying for God to blow up my pride, but I'm also hoping he does it slowly so I don't need to suffer too much in the process. I believe the biblical term for this is "Pruning".
This is a process and so if you're impatient like me in any way, you will need to be diligent. Some say that once you show God you're making real effort, He will reward you with grace to help overcome his commandments, grace to love Him more, and grace for greater faith which we also need to grow closer to Him. Many say we cannot love God by our own means, and that we require His grace to do so, and so be diligent (I'm writing this to myself also). Through God's grace and seeking Him we will find him brother. God bless and best of luck!

Upvote 0

David_AB

Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
England
✟71,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this is one of the best questions one could ever ask. I'm standing at the exact same crossroads with you my friend. I am a new Christian and have been reading everything I can get my hands on to get closer in my walk with God. Some things I've learned so far:
I have read a million testimonies where new-comers to God say a seemingly haphazard prayer such as "God, if you're real.......fill in the blank", and they're instantly delivered/changed/transformed. This usually accompanies a great love and gratitude towards Him for setting them free. These testimonies of instant change are usually people who are very broken from addiction/abuse/deep pain and therefore have nothing to lose and submit all right there and then. I am not in such a place. And so I believe it's going to happen more slowly for me unfortunately. As everyone here has mentioned, staying in His Word daily is a #1. Praying to him until it becomes habitual is another #1. Following His commandments and repenting if you break them is another #1 (especially regarding false idols). In fact, if you can follow commandment #1 (the most important), the remaining you will follow automatically. This requires fully submitting. I thought I was already doing this but I cannot feel the deep love for God that some of my fellow Christians do. I really want to. But I think I have too much pride. I've been praying for God to blow up my pride, but I'm also hoping he does it slowly so I don't need to suffer too much in the process. I believe the biblical term for this is "Pruning".
This is a process and so if you're impatient like me in any way, you will need to be diligent. Some say that once you show God you're making real effort, He will reward you with grace to help overcome his commandments, grace to love Him more, and grace for greater faith which we also need to grow closer to Him. Many say we cannot love God by our own means, and that we require His grace to do so, and so be diligent (I'm writing this to myself also). Through God's grace and seeking Him we will find him brother. God bless and best of luck!

Thank you so much brother for your reply.
You say you are a new Christian but your response seemed more like a mature Christian.
Your experience sounds very similar to mine and have similar thoughts.
I've also seen many testimonies where people have undergone sudden radical change but like you say have been very broken people.
My progress is very gradual and the downside of this is it feels like nothing is changing because it happens so slowly.
However I do notice my hatred of sin, my own and others. Hearing people blaspheme makes me whince.
I feel now that viewing the world through the lens of the Bible, everything makes so much more sense.

I too have a lot of pride. Reading and immersing myself in Christian literature, video's and the Bible which I read daily have shown me this. The Holy Spirit no doubt too.
I also have asked God to deal with this (gently if at all possible!).

One battle I have with idolatry is my career and have prayed about this many times.

I do still feel I lack a personal relationship with Jesus.

• Friendly
Reactions: Not me
Upvote 0

Tokitee

A prayer warrior in the Catholic Church.
Oct 12, 2018
Oregon
✟12,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, the Holy Spirit is in us,and with us. When you have a relationship with God, the Holy spirit will make you a witness for Jesus Christ.

First, find clues if the places in the Bible exists.
Look up graves such as King David, or an apostle.
Look up coins from Biblical times to see if the those people existed.
How many disciples are authors in the Bible?
Who has seen Jesus and written about him?

Just dig into the Bible and think of any questions, and see it exists. Instead of just reading.
Use your Bible

Ask, who was Jesus?

Reactions: David_AB
Upvote 0

David_AB

Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
England
✟71,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, the Holy Spirit is in us,and with us. When you have a relationship with God, the Holy spirit will make you a witness for Jesus Christ.

First, find clues if the places in the Bible exists.
Look up graves such as King David, or an apostle.
Look up coins from Biblical times to see if the those people existed.
How many disciples are authors in the Bible?
Who has seen Jesus and written about him?

Just dig into the Bible and think of any questions, and see it exists. Instead of just reading.
Use your Bible

Ask, who was Jesus?
Done most of those. I have no doubt that the people, places and events existed and happened.
I recently saw one documentary, Exodus:patterns of Evidence by Tim Mahoney, an excellent piece of research into how historians have mis-undetstood the bible and based their historic timelines on that misinterpretation to then be used to discredit the Bible.

Upvote 0