What does “None of us, but all of Christ” mean?

alaric

May 21, 2018
Singapore
✟13,224.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 7:15-21

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

Everyone (Christians and non-Christians) born has sin in them. The bible has made it clear in Romans 7:20 “Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.”

Therefore when a Christian focus on their self-effort and will-power to do good, often they will most likely ended up doing Romans 7:15 “For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.”

The more you focus yourself and depend on your own strength to do good and be right with God, you will end up failing and disappointed with yourself.

However, the bible has offered a solution.

Romans 7:24-25

What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

The solution is to stop focusing on yourself and turn your attention to Jesus.

1) Find out how perfect is Jesus in God’s sight.

1 John 3:5 “But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.”

2) Find out how much is Jesus accepted by God.

Mark 16:19 “After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God.”

After understanding the standing of Jesus with God, identify yourself with Jesus.

1 John 4:17 “This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus.”

Colossians 2:9-10 “For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness.”

Once you understood your new identity, the burden of achieving to live right and doing good to please God will be gone. Because Jesus has already achieved it and imparted it to everyone who believes in him and his finished work. When you are identified with Jesus, you will slowly change and become like him. In another words, we will become lesser and Jesus will become more. None of us, but all of Christ.

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ever true saint of God ALWAYS has the flesh of natural man in this world, and when one lives in a fleshly way they become: CARNAL (worldly), as the Epistles teach us. So, we need to rise above our natural flesh and honor the Lord in all our conversation and walk ---right? Therein will be heavenly reward when saints get home to Heaven.

• Agree
Reactions: geodub
Upvote 0

alaric

May 21, 2018
Singapore
✟13,224.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ever true saint of God ALWAYS has the flesh of natural man in this world, and when one lives in a fleshly way they become: CARNAL (worldly), as the Epistles teach us. So, we need to rise above our natural flesh and honor the Lord in all our conversation and walk ---right? Therein will be heavenly reward when saints get home to Heaven.

All christian still have the flesh which is the old man even after born again. The new creature is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit with our soul. The Spirit and Soul have become the new creature.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

However, our physical body(flesh, old man) is still the same. This is the part that tilt towards sin. And this lowly physical body will only be removed at the day of rapture when we receive our perfect body.

Philippians 3:20-21 But our citizenship is in heaven.And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

1 Corinthians 15:51-53 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality.

I believe God left us with our vile and sinful body so that we will constantly look toward him, draw strength from him and totally depend on his Grace. So the more you depend on your own strength, the more you will fall.

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My understanding is that it goes beyond 'identifying with Christ' (although that too is necessary) so that 'the burden of achieving to live right and doing good to please God will be gone'. It also takes God's Spirit working in a person both to will and to do of His good pleasure...and this is facilitated by God's Word, especially His promises.

IOW, it not only takes knowing 'who we are in Christ' but also 'Who we have in us' and that He is actively living molding and shaping us into His image by His grace.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The solution is to stop focusing on yourself and turn your attention to Jesus.

Well, this definitely helps. But it certainly isn't all we are told in Scripture to do when we are struggling to be righteous. Here are some other very practical things we are told to do when faced with temptation:

Romans 13:14
14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.

Romans 6:11-13
11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.
13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.

James 4:7
7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Psalms 119:11
11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You!

2 Timothy 2:22
22 Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0