bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As a spinoff from my last thread I found lots of differing ideas with “free will” and a need to ask some more questions:

Does God have both the power and knowledge to create a being with the ability to make one truly autonomous free will choice and if not why not?

Would God’s foreknowledge and/or knowing everything keep a being from making a truly autonomous free will choice?

Would giving a being the ability to make a truly autonomous free will choice reduce or even eliminate God’s Sovereignty?

God can certainly keep any being from making a choice, so does allowing the being to make the choice mean God is not “controlling” or “over” the universe?

With enough environmental and biological information, it can be determent which ice-cream you will chose, so is that really a free will choice?

If God created a being with the very limited autonomous free will ability to make just one choice, yet that being never came close to reaching the age to ever making that autonomous free will choice, would God still know the exact without a doubt selection the being would have made had if it lived long enough?

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Free will is the freedom to choose to do something that is against God's will. If you haven't looked into Molinism, then I suggest reading an article about it. However, our ideas of how free will and divine foreknowledge interact are not saying that this is how God must act, but rather it is just a way of speaking about it that makes sense to us. One analogy that I like is that it could be like a video game, where I can predict with perfect accuracy that every time that you play through it you will encounter certain plot points. However, in between those plot points, you have the free will to make any number of decisions such that no two times that you play through the game are exactly identical. So that could be a way that free will and divine foreknowledge interact.

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How I understand it only Heaven is real permanent ,Earth is like a giant sand box where people learn from their actions do I want more of this or that .Do I want suffering by not following the Creator's laws or do I want the abundant life that Jesus told us about ? Do parents care what sandcastles children make in the sandbox ? No cause they know it not permanent . Now the prince of this world wants you to think its real that everything has some epic importance so he can continue controlling people. Lucifer, Satan rebelled against God cause they thought freewill was dangerous to give to souls . And they have tried to prove God wrong ever since by having people go to war , murder , suicide , abortion so they can say look free will doesn't work we should be over the people telling them what to as we see with their henchman leaders on earth who set themselves up as dictators . Freewill allows people to make higher choice than the one they made yesterday so they can do better .A person who's been a homeless alcoholic , drug addict on the streets for 30 yrs and one day someone gives them a cup of cold water in Jesus's name and they can say " I can't live like this anymore " and turn their life around completely thats the power of free will .

Reactions: Unboxed
Upvote 0

YanKee Gal

YanKee Gal
Jan 16, 2019
new england
✟10,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wow a lot of introspection here. Well, God made man in his image. He can think, and take those thoughts and act upon them as actions in order to create, good or bad. That is the free will. We can choose to obey Him and His Word or rebel and decide we want to be god and do our own thing, with consequences. God is Soverign. To me that is HE IS NOT A GOD... HE IS THE CREATOR. I always thought in the original Hebrew it says CREATOR. A creator has no origin of being... he always was. We cannot wrap our head around that cause we throughout history always made a big deal out of gods, hence idol worship. But He is the Heavenly Father, The Creator. I have found when i look at him as my Creator, not a god of an origin it shows me how holy He is. He did not make us to be programmed to obey him because we would of been robots and unable to give real worship, from the heart. I hope this helps some. ~ Blessings

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a spinoff from my last thread I found lots of differing ideas with “free will” and a need to ask some more questions

Your questions make no sense unless you say what kind of free will you are talking about. Compatibilist free will? Libertarian free will?

• Agree
Reactions: His student
Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In The Freedom of the Will, Jonathan Edwards defines biblical freedom. Man is free, he says, to choose according to his disposition. Human beings always choose according to their strongest desire, and so we make free choices. We do what we want to do. Some may object that people often choose the undesirable, such as handing a wallet over to a mugger. But even if I do this, my strongest inclination has prompted my choice. All things being equal, I do not desire to give my wallet away. But if my choice is my wallet or my life, and I hand over my wallet, I prove that I want to live more than I want money.

Apart from Christ, we are dead in sin (Eph. 2:1) and wholly disposed to hate God. We only want darkness, and so we freely choose to reject Him. We freely choose to love and to serve Jesus only if the Spirit changes our hearts (John 3:1–8). Otherwise we remain lost.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
As a spinoff from my last thread I found lots of differing ideas with “free will” and a need to ask some more questions:

Does God have both the power and knowledge to create a being with the ability to make one truly autonomous free will choice and if not why not?
God has decided to create us as totally autonomous beings with free choice. The other option is to create a race of programmable robots.

Would God’s foreknowledge and/or knowing everything keep a being from making a truly autonomous free will choice?
No, because God has endless planning alternatives to cater for every choice any person can make.

Would giving a being the ability to make a truly autonomous free will choice reduce or even eliminate God’s Sovereignty?
There is nothing we can do as part of our free choice that could even look like threatening God's Sovereignty. Sovereignty is God doing what He wants to do, but not having total control over others. No choice that we can make can prevent God doing what He wants to do to fulfill His plans and purposes. His powers of adaptiveness to any choices we can and would make is limitless.

God can certainly keep any being from making a choice, so does allowing the being to make the choice mean God is not “controlling” or “over” the universe?
God has given us total freedom to choose anything we want to do. But He has shown the consequences of the choices we make. We are allowed to choose our way, as long as we are prepared to accept the consequences of it.

With enough environmental and biological information, it can be determent which ice-cream you will chose, so is that really a free will choice?
I don't understand what you mean by "determent". We can choose exactly which ice-cream we desire. If there are ecological or environmental consequences, then we would have to accept them.

If God created a being with the very limited autonomous free will ability to make just one choice, yet that being never came close to reaching the age to ever making that autonomous free will choice, would God still know the exact without a doubt selection the being would have made had if it lived long enough?
God is the most patient Person we can ever know. After all no one is going anywhere. God can take as long as He likes to bring His plans to fulfillment.

We have the free choice to live the live we want to live and to make the choices that seem best for us. It is all about the consequences of our choices. If we decide to live a godless life, then one day we will reap the consequences of it, and will have to account before God for the way we have chosen. God, in His sovereignty, allows every person to choose his way, but has set in place a day of judgment where every person has to give an account to Him about the choices they have made.

It is like allowing an accountant to make his own choices about how the money is spent without any controls being enacted on him while he is doing it. But at the end of the year, the auditor comes along and audits the books to ensure that the accounting has done to the proper standards. If the account has mis-spent the money and failed to provide a paper trail, then he has to accept the consequences of his actions.

So, we have free choice to live for Christ or not. But the Great Auditor will be there at the Day of Judgment to audit our lives to see whether our choices have been the ones that will give us the best consequences.

But for the genuine Christian believer, there will not be the same judgment as for Christ-rejecting sinners. But genuine Christians will be standing before the judgment seat of Christ to receive rewards for the good choices that they have made.

• Agree
Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Good thoughtful answers so far to your questions on this thread...

You write:

Answer: Since the fall, we have a sin nature that is selfish, being enslaved to fulfill the lusts of the flesh in this world. However, that sin nature does not prevent us from making good or bad choices (having the knowledge of good and evil), even before being saved. We see this by example all through Scripture, including those that are humble and feared God before ever coming to a saving knowledge of God. That sin nature does not prevent us from choosing Christ to save us from our prison of sin after learning of His gracious Gospel invitation.

You write:

Answer: Not at all. The very idea that God foreknows before predestination or election shows that God bases His decisions on our choices, or how we will respond to His grace.

You write:

Answer: God is so powerful and Sovereign, that He grants all creatures, including man, free will to live and act within the boundaries of their natures and functions within God's creation. God, in His omniscience and immeasurable wisdom, supernaturally works His will and His plans within His creation.

You write:

Answer: God, who knows the hearts of all men and the choices they would make, will sometimes place certain people in certain special situations to fulfill His purposes through them and their choices. As well, if those choices of a person means that they keep deliberately resisting God's grace and doing evil even in the face of a greater knowledge of God, then God will eventually harden the hearts of such persons. And this hardening can be used by God to bring about His good purposes - as in the case of hardening Israel to make way for the Gentiles to be grafted in. If God has to harden someone's heart to prevent a person from accepting His grace in the future, that means such persons had the free will to choose God's grace before God removed that free will from them in punishment.

You write:

Answer: Despite all environmental and biological factors, God grants every person his/her own choices within the circumstances each person resides, and according to the knowledge each person has. And God holds us accountable for bad choices and for rejecting His grace.

You write:

Answer: God judges righteously. We are responsible for the choices we make within the knowledge and understanding each of us has at the time. 'Those who are given much, much is required.'

• Agree
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Answer: Not at all. The very idea that God foreknows before predestination or election shows that God bases His decisions on our choices, or how we will respond to His grace.

The idea that "God bases His decisions on our choices" is Arminianism, of course. Calvinists would deny that.

But apart from that, God's foreknowledge rules out free will of the libertarian kind, because it means that the future is fixed.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It's not a libertarian free will choice, in that only one alternative is possible.

It is a compatibilist free will choice, in that you are choosing the ice cream that you want to choose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The idea that "God bases His decisions on our choices" is Arminianism, of course. Calvinists would deny that.

But apart from that, God's foreknowledge rules out free will of the libertarian kind, because it means that the future is fixed.

Despite the fact that Calvinists deny that God grants mankind free will to make choices, and to hold us individually responsible for the choices each of us makes, that is actually what the Bible teaches from Genesis to Revelation. And from Genesis to Revelation we see God reasoning with us, and lovingly attempting to convince each person to repent and turn to Him for salvation.

God's foreknowledge does not, as you say, mean that God decrees, determines or causes people to act the way they do, or that God is in any way responsible for the evil acts men do throughout time. That is certainly not what Scripture teaches, nor is that how Scripture defines or expresses God's Glory. God is holy and righteous in judging mankind because - throughout Scripture - God always holds each person responsible for the choices he or she makes, even though God knows the beginning from the end.

God's Foreknowledge
Part of the decision God made when He created the world, giving mankind free choice, was that such sinful acts would be possible, which would grieve God's holy nature. Yet God continued with His plan, because His greater desire for a loving relationship with His creation over ruled His abhorrence for evil. In God's plan of salvation, God foreknew those through time who would, by faith, walk with God in love, and so access His grace.

Can God be glorified out of a world of sinfulness? Absolutely, but as a redeemer and savior – who himself, the Sovereign God, came down from heaven and humbled himself as a human servant and took the penalty of sin upon himself being crucified for us, for all those who genuinely humbly cry out to him for salvation from their slavery to sin and death.

Would a Sovereign God need to put aside His glory to suffer and die in our place - for our sins - if that was not required to fulfill God's righteousness in condemning sin that we ourselves are guilty for?

God is not glorified by creating and decreeing and causing mankind and all their sinful acts, so he can take pleasure in eternally tormenting them in the lake of fire. And by some mysterious means elects to irresistibly give faith to some to believe and be saved, as if mankind were God's chess pieces in a game of arbitrary love and judgment for actions that God alone would be responsible for.

God did not create man for the Lake of Fire. Even so, they enter the Lake of Fire because they rejected God’s grace.

Your view of God, thankfully, is not the God we see in Holy Scripture. God, in immeasurable love, humbled himself to save sinners, not the righteous.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Despite the fact that Calvinists deny that God grants mankind free will to make choices, and to hold us individually responsible for the choices each of us makes, that is actually what the Bible teaches from Genesis to Revelation.

I don't want to get into a Calvinist vs Arminian debate, just to point out that there are multiple viewpoints.

And Calvinism doesn't deny free will, only libertarian free will.

God's foreknowledge does not, as you say, mean that God decrees, determines or causes people to act the way they do

You are totally misrepresenting what I said.

What I said was that, even if you deny predestination, God's foreknowledge all on it's own means that the future is fixed (it must happen as God foresaw, or else God didn't really foresee it). Therefore God's foreknowledge all on it's own rules out libertarian free will (this is of course why Open Theists deny God's foreknowledge of the future).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Free will is the freedom to choose to do something that is against God's will. If you haven't looked into Molinism, then I suggest reading an article about it. However, our ideas of how free will and divine foreknowledge interact are not saying that this is how God must act, but rather it is just a way of speaking about it that makes sense to us. One analogy that I like is that it could be like a video game, where I can predict with perfect accuracy that every time that you play through it you will encounter certain plot points. However, in between those plot points, you have the free will to make any number of decisions such that no two times that you play through the game are exactly identical. So that could be a way that free will and divine foreknowledge interact.
How did Christ know exactly seemingly free will wrong choices Peter would make in a very short period of time.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your questions make no sense unless you say what kind of free will you are talking about. Compatibilist free will? Libertarian free will?
How do you define free will?
If you say man has libertarian free will to some that means man has unlimited freedom to do what ever he wants and nothing influences any of his decisions.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In The Freedom of the Will, Jonathan Edwards defines biblical freedom. Man is free, he says, to choose according to his disposition. Human beings always choose according to their strongest desire, and so we make free choices. We do what we want to do. Some may object that people often choose the undesirable, such as handing a wallet over to a mugger. But even if I do this, my strongest inclination has prompted my choice. All things being equal, I do not desire to give my wallet away. But if my choice is my wallet or my life, and I hand over my wallet, I prove that I want to live more than I want money.

Apart from Christ, we are dead in sin (Eph. 2:1) and wholly disposed to hate God. We only want darkness, and so we freely choose to reject Him. We freely choose to love and to serve Jesus only if the Spirit changes our hearts (John 3:1–8). Otherwise we remain lost.
You can have conflicting dispositions and/or desires. They can both be selfish desires like the prodigal son did not really want to: go home with his tail between his legs, humbly accept undeserved charity, look his father in the eye and ask for undeserved forgiveness, add fuel to his brother's contempt, wimp out by not being willing to pay the piper or take the punishment he fully deserves, but the son also had a survival instinct, want just some kind of life, wanted to get out of the pain, was lonely and was willing to accept pure charity. So the choice is up to the prodigal son.

Reactions: singpeace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't want to get into a Calvinist vs Arminian debate, just to point out that there are multiple viewpoints.

You write:
And Calvinism doesn't deny free will, only libertarian free will.

My Response:
Firstly
, I apologize for misrepresenting your intentions.

Secondly, regarding Calvinism, there are several forms of Calvinism. And the lower moderate forms do teach mankind may freely choose to do good or evil, or to believe. But once saved, they can never lose their salvation because God guarantees perseverance of their faith unto salvation.

However, Calvin's teaching on God's Sovereignty (which is the foundation for the 5 points of Calvinism thought) ultimately means that an omniscient all powerful God created mankind, including Adam and Eve, with the mindset to sin and act the way they did, or do, to fulfill His purpose... For, according to Calvin's doctrine of God's Sovereignty, a Sovereign God created everything, and every person, perfectly to fulfill his plans, and that includes every creature and everything else. God makes no mistakes, and no person God creates can ever thwart His purpose for creating him or her.

What John Calvin taught regarding God’s Sovereignty is contained in his following work:

The Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin, Chapter 16”
See: Calvin on God’s Sovereignty | Christian History Institute
Book One of “The Institutes…,” Chapter 16 clearly reveal John Calvin’s understanding of God’s Will as 100% active.

Chapter 16
Part 1
provides the foundation for God’s sovereignty as active (God is the cause).
Part 2 denies the idea of chance and that anything in the world is random.
Part 3 counters some alternative interpretations of God’s sovereignty.
Part 6 explores God’s control of human actions.

The Calvinist definition of God's Sovereignty must be active over all the things He created for His own purpose and pleasure.

This Calvinistic understanding of God’s Sovereignty is the mindset for which all Biblical proof texts are to be interpreted, and of which the 5 points of Calvinism are founded. To further illustrate this key point, consider the following key statements by John Calvin:

John Calvin
John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, vol. 2 (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993 reprint), 206

“Since the arrangement of all things is in the hand of God, since to him belongs the disposal of life and death, he arranges all things by his sovereign counsel, in such a way that individuals are born, who are doomed from the womb to certain death, and are to glorify him by their destruction.”

John Calvin
John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, vol. 2 (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993 reprint), 231.

“By predestination we mean the eternal decree of God, by which He determined with Himself whatever He wished to happen with regard to every man. All are not created on equal terms, but some are preordained to eternal life, others to eternal damnation; and, accordingly, as each has been created for one or other of those ends, we say that he has been predestined to life or death.”

John Calvin
John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, vol. 2 (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993 reprint), 231.

“Those therefore whom God passes by He reprobates, and that for no other cause than he is pleased to exclude them….”

“If we cannot assign any reason for [God] bestowing mercy on his people, but just that it so pleases him, neither can we have any reason for his reprobating others but his will. When God is said to visit in mercy or harden whom he will, men are reminded that they are not to seek for any cause beyond his will.”

In regards to the rest of your post...

For those reading, terms need to be defined:

Definition of "libertarian free will" as in opposition to "causal determinism."

Definition for "libertarian free will" is as follows:
<<
Libertarians believe that free will is incompatible with causal determinism, and agents have free will. They therefore deny that causal determinism is true. ... Non-causal libertarians typically believe that free actions are constituted by basic mental actions, such as a decision or choice.

https://philpapers.org/browse/libertarianism-about-free-will
>>

The definition for "causal determinism" is as follows:
<<
Determinism often is taken to mean causal determinism, which in physics is known as cause-and-effect. It is the concept that [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_(philosophy)']events
within a given paradigm are bound by causality in such a way that any state (of an object or event) is completely determined by prior states. This meaning can be distinguished from other varieties of determinism mentioned below. (Wikipedia)
>>
[/URL]
Calvinists would believe in "God decreed and ordained determinism." In other words, all the effects each person does was caused or predetermined by God when He made them.

You write:
You are totally misrepresenting what I said.

What I said was that, even if you deny predestination, God's foreknowledge all on it's own means that the future is fixed (it must happen as God foresaw, or else God didn't really foresee it). Therefore God's foreknowledge all on it's own rules out libertarian free will.

My response:
As a Christian who believes in God... How can one believe that God foreseeing the future necessarily and legitimately imply a ruling out of libertarian free will?

Keep in mind, that man's actions are more than the sum of cause and effect events. If that were the case, people would not be responsible for their own actions - whether good or bad. Rather, each person responds within the circumstances he finds himself.

Scripturally, there are no causes that a person can turn to as justification before God for His choices. Each person stands before God on Judgment Day being fully responsible before God for his choices. And God will judge righteously in recognition of the knowledge and circumstances each person possessed while on earth.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The future could be "fixed" without God being around, so who 'fixed" the free will choice you will make tomorrow?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's not a libertarian free will choice, in that only one alternative is possible.

It is a compatibilist free will choice, in that you are choosing the ice cream that you want to choose.
The choice you make of ice-cream is not important or needing autonomous free will to fulfill your objective, but very limited "libertarian" free will could be provided by God to allow you to make the very few free will choices you need to make.
Does God not have the power to allow such free will choices?

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The future could be "fixed" without God being around, so who 'fixed" the free will choice you will make tomorrow?

Nothing has to be fixed unless God wants to fix something, even though God foresees.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nothing has to be fixed unless God wants to fix something, even though God foresees.
If God "foresees" it then it is fixed, but did God fix it or did you?
Think about this: Suppose you know all the free will decisions you made yesterday. All those are "fixed" (cannot be changed), but does that mean those decisions were not free will choices?
God exist in the past and present and future , so the God at the end of time would know all man's choices as historic fact (unchangeable/fixed), but just because God at the end of time know all human history (fixed) does not mean they were not free will choices made along the way.
God at the end of time can communicate to God at the beginning of time (Himself) and thus God at the beginning of time knows all the history of humans and it is fixed, but again that does not mean humans did not make free will choices along the way.

Upvote 0