• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What do your children's spouses call you?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by PloverWing, Mar 2, 2021.

1. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+3,097
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    The oldest of my now-adult children is about to get married, and for the first time I'm facing the ancient and perplexing question: what should my children's spouses call me? (I had this same bafflement on the other end when I was a new daughter-in-law, years ago.) "Mom" isn't quite right, because I'm not their mother. My students call me Dr. [lastname], but that sounds too formal for a relative. There's my first name, I suppose. I'm not actually super fond of my first name :), but it's what other adults call me. When there are grandchildren, I suppose "Grandma" is an option, but there are no grandchildren yet.

So I thought I'd ask CF: What do your children-in-law call you? How did you decide on a name/title/whatever that was satisfactory to you both?

Or, on the other side of it: How do you address your mother-in-law, and how did you decide on that name/title?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+29,342
    Anglican
    Married
    In my case, no decision was ever discussed. My first name is used routinely and I take it for granted. Anything else would probably sound affected now.

3. splish- splash

splish- splash Stepping out of my comfort zone. Supporter

+1,020
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Depends on people and their cultural backgrounds.

4. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+4,334
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    I called my mother-in-law and father-in-law by their first name.

My daughter-in-law calls both me and my ex by first name.

My grandkids call me Grandpa (First name)

I also called both my mother and father by their first name as did my sister and brother. My ex also called her parents by first name.

So... first names. :)

OB

5. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,821
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Constitution
    "Honey"

Then my son started calling me "Honey"...had to fix that quick :D