What do you wish you knew in your 20's?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you about to go off to college?

My advice: find a good church and group of christians and stick to them like glue.
Make sure they take Christianity and the bible seriously but are not legalistic.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟883,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone have any advice for people in their 20's, regarding college, growing in Christ, or any other areas of life?

Win the lottery and devote your life to serving Christ. I think that’s the best advice I have.

Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Are you about to go off to college?

My advice: find a good church and group of christians and stick to them like glue.
Make sure they take Christianity and the bible seriously but are not legalistic.
I'm in college right now

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm at an age that I "grok" Ecclesiastes. I read it and just think, "Oh, my God, that is all so true."

In my lifetime, I've been involved in some pretty heady stuff that everyone thought was vital at the time. I look back on all that now, and it's really all been meaningless. It doesn't last.

As it says in Ecclesiastes, everything in this world is vapor...smoke. It looks substantive, but when you reach for it, it just drifts away.

Remember this:

Nobody in heaven will care if you become a world-famous architect and build the tallest building in the world. Before you even die, someone will build a bigger building, or that one will be torn down.

Nobody in heaven will care if you become president of the United States. Before you die, someone else will become president and undo what you've done.

Nobody will care if you become the world's wealthiest person. Someone else will become richer.

The only thing that will translate from this earth to heaven are the people who are saved. When Jesus speaks of "treasure," He is talking about people. People are the treasure that Jesus gave up everything to purchase.

People are the treasure you build up in heaven...those people who will say: "I remember you--you bought me a meal once." "I remember you. You contributed to my mission to the poor." "I remember you. You visited me while I was dying from cancer." "I remember you. You picked up my prescriptions every Friday." "I remember you. I was suicidal that day you told me that Jesus was your hope."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm in college right now
Nice. Are you away from home or are you going to a local school?

My college was a 3 hour drive from home. I was already a believer, but first time away and no rules I came close to blowing out big time my first term. My roommate had a different girl every week or 2. (after he broke up with his highschool sweety that is) Lots of alcohol. Lots of pot. A few other drugs as well.

I finally found a church that taught the bible seriously but were VERY controlling. Just to go home and visit my family for a weekend I needed permission from 3 different people in the leadership.

That church was a real mixed bag.

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Nice. Are you away from home or are you going to a local school?

My college was a 3 hour drive from home. I was already a believer, but first time away and no rules I came close to blowing out big time my first term. My roommate had a different girl every week or 2. (after he broke up with his highschool sweety that is) Lots of alcohol. Lots of pot. A few other drugs as well.

I finally found a church that taught the bible seriously but were VERY controlling. Just to go home and visit my family for a weekend I needed permission from 3 different people in the leadership.

That church was a real mixed bag.
I go to a local school.I live with my parents,I usually just go to my classes and head home.I have a pretty good church that I have grew up in,and they emphasize supporting young people,I have just been busy working and going to school,that I really have not had the chance to get to make friends my own age.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I go to a local school.I live with my parents,
Living in the dorms is an experience all its own.

Going from a town of about 7000 people to a university with over 50,000 was an amazing culture shock. There were more people in just my dorm complex that there were in my home town.

Going your route is probably the more easily transitioned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Living in the dorms is an experience all its own.

Going from a town of about 7000 people to a university with over 50,000 was an amazing culture shock. There were more people in just my dorm complex that there were in my home town.

Going your route is probably the more easily transitioned.
I was going to live in the dorms,but it was to pricey,and I knew I was not ready to be on my own just yet.

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟175,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would just make sure to plan ahead and aim for A+ in classes. Develop good study habits and ways to manage everything.

When you need help in classes, ask God to help. Many miracles came my way when I was messing up, even though I deserved to fail some of the classes.

Also from my experiance with dorming in college, it was not a good decision to be sleeping in a room with a random stranger. You never know who you will meet, my next year I dormed with a friend which was much better.

Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
College is a time for temptations. I wish I had had the sense to choose my friends more carefully. I did alright, but I would emphasize that early adulthood seems like a time for exploring, but it's also a time for making mistakes that cannot be undone. Be careful.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟483,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone have any advice for people in their 20's, regarding college, growing in Christ, or any other areas of life?

Find out what you want to do with your life and focus on it like a laser beam.

Don't let this world compromise your Christian faith.

Get into real world internships or a part time job in your field of interest as soon as possible.

Stay in the Word.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Don't just follow your dreams, learn marketable skills.

The degree doesn't have to be in the perfect field or specialty. Just get one as soon as you can.

I was pretty good about this, but have a plan to pay for your classes beyond taking out loans and assuming you will be hired into a well-paid position a few months after you graduate. Your prospects of that just aren't good without a Master's at least.

Related to the above point: Christian budgeting. Learn it, love it, live it. Put God first, and credit cards are only means of spending money that you already have in your bank account.

Don't get herded into to waiting for God to specifically tell you to go into this major, or go to this college, or get this job, or move into this city, or to get together with this person. That's essentially how he led Abraham. If he does that for you, great, obey him when he really calls you like that, and test it to make sure it's from him. But much of the time, he will allow life to happen to you instead, like with Joseph and his involuntary trip to Egypt and then prison. And like him, you'll need to be faithful in whatever circumstances you may find yourself in, and take opportunities as they present themselves. That got Paul, Priscilla, and Aquila to Corinth, as another example.

Learn about what real leadership is. It doesn't mean that you're always the boss, or that you should be bossy. Rather, it takes humility, and humility will get you further than disrespect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Consider working for yourself/having your own business/being an Entrepreneur

Don't be afraid to NEGOTIATE with Professors for assignments that may work better for you. Also knowing how to negotiate is a good tool to have period.

Know your worth monetary wise. You do have to make a living in this life, so don't let anyone talk you into working for less than you're worth.

Don't let making choices paralyze you. When you make a choice and feel "stuck" just make a different choice.

God is with you every step of the way. So know you can talk to Him in your heart any time, any place, any where. God cares about you...all of you and nothing is too insignificant to bring to Him. Stay with Him no matter what.

Pick your friends wisely. Stay away from negative, controlling, and jealous people. Your friends should be able to celebrate with you as well as comfort you and you do the same for them. Friendship should be balanced. Not one person giving all the time and the other taking all the time...ebb and flow...

Being 20 is a good thing! So what you don't know everything...nobody does. We all had to learn and are still learning. So don't feel like you're an outsider if you don't know something. Trust yourself and stay with the Word. You'll be surprise how much you do know.

I hope I've said something to help you :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
pick the right major for you, your personality

I didn't and if could go back to my 20's would have picked my other choice
I have come across that before, I knew a lady who was a doctor. She followed her parents advice and regrets ever becoming a doctor.

Selecting the correct discipline is a difficult task.

Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Get married young, have heaps of children, don't worry about (or waste time with) work or college. There will be plenty of time for work and study - not plenty of time for marriage and family. Get your priorities right - the other things will come.

Upvote 0

SleepingAtLast

Dec 11, 2018
Here
✟26,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is such a good thread. I just turned 29 so I guess I'm technically still in my 20's, but some things I wish I knew early on are:

-That a college degree is a greater burden than it is a help when I am clueless about what I want to do in life.
-The sooner I address my issues, the more heartache I am going to save myself.
-My self-worth.
-Harry Potter really is as good as advertised.
-So is Lord of the Rings.
-Cling tightly to Jesus and healthy habits.
-Credit cards are a bad idea.
-Doing anything that violates my conscience will cause irreparable damage to it and will only make sin struggles more difficult.

Upvote 0