Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Reading, Study, Word/Topic Study, occasionally Notes, more frequently Copy and Paste projects for various purposes. An example of a copy and paste project is to collect sections from various resources on the same topic. I also do things like copy and paste public domain works I've purchased from Logos, and create modules for the free TheWord Bible software and in the process make them better than the Logos version.

The greatest advantage of digital books is they do not age with time. Take a brand new paper book and inspect the paper color and quality, and then observe over time even as few as five or ten or fifteen years many if not most books (which are not printed on acid-free paper) will begin to show age the paper will turn yellowish (decreasing ease of reading) and depending on the paper quality start browning eventually becoming brittle and falling apart. Another great advantage is space and weight, paper books can take up great amounts of space (I have too many myself), and moving them around can be quite a chore, even within the same house. Another advantage is the ability to enlarge digital texts (which tend to be sharper along with bright background), another is they do not get damaged or wear out, and it's easy to highlight and unhighlight digital texts with no bleeding or worry about defacing and therefore decreasing value for collecting or re-selling, etc.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First, the posts above have a lot of good information in them. My two favorite freeware Bible study programs are e-Sword and TheWord. Both of them are great and have thousands of add-on modules you can get for them, many free. I'm talking about books, shorter works called topics, commentaries, dictionaries, devotions, ancient language helps, and more. They each have premium modules for reasonable prices. Premium modules are usually newer works that still have royalty fees associated with them.

You could use either one of them for serious Bible study, lessons, sermons, notes for your personal use, and more. Both of them have many additional downloads from within the program, and both of them have user sites with thousands of more modules to download. The material on the user sites is all free. I would have a hard time telling you which one is my favorite, but I can tell you that both of them are excellent and can easily compete with expensive Bible study software.

Use the below link for the Windows version of e-Sword.
e-Sword: Free Bible Study for the PC | Downloads

Use the below link for the Windows version of TheWord.
http://www.theword.net/index.php?article.download&l=english

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟702,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I use Logos because it is so much easier than preparing a lesson or sermon using traditional multi-volume commentaries as well as working in the Hebrew and Greek texts. With a simple command I can have Logos search my entire library and locate every instance where a text mentions a topic. Acquiring a Logos library can be pricey so I would not recommend for a lay or casual user. It is geared for those in ministry or seminary students.

Esword is fantastic for a free program. I used Esword for many years before I purchased Logos. I do not have experience with The Word program.

Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
cloud based, you can use ESV.org
or tecarta , Study Bible Apps by Tecarta, Inc.

or simply use Evernote (cloud based outliner), to outline your notes from Logos or eSword so they can be accessed anywhere, mobile, tablet or desktop as long as you have internet connection.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dusty Dahlin

Let us live up to what we have already obtained.
Jan 20, 2018
Sacramento
✟5,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How and what do you use bible software for?
I would highly recommend BlueLetterBible .org. it's free, easy to use, and it is loaded with lots of incredible features. (They even have a powerful app for your phone or tablet, also). Great resource!

Upvote 0