dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I plan on getting an iPad and will primarily use it to take & store all my pictures. (I know -- a rather expensive photo album.) But now I've got pictures on cameras, laptops, desktops, etc. I think it would be nice to have them all in one place that I could easily carry with me to show pictures to others.

Plus, I understand there are lots of cool apps that I can get (e.g., an app that scans the UPC code of a product and automatically searches the Web for that product's best price).

I think I'll be able to rationalize, er, justify getting one.

Upvote 0

anglozaxon

Oct 24, 2012
✟15,736.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I plan on getting an iPad and will primarily use it to take & store all my pictures. (I know -- a rather expensive photo album.) But now I've got pictures on cameras, laptops, desktops, etc. I think it would be nice to have them all in one place that I could easily carry with me to show pictures to others.

Plus, I understand there are lots of cool apps that I can get (e.g., an app that scans the UPC code of a product and automatically searches the Web for that product's best price).

I think I'll be able to rationalize, er, justify getting one.

Thanks for your post I must admit thats what I was thinking of using one for, I also like the idea of videoing skiing down the slopes and then watching it on the way home on the plane, but it just seems really expensive if thats all I use it for.

Upvote 0

madaz

dyslexic agnostic insomniac
Mar 14, 2012
Gold Coast Australia
✟9,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I use my iPad as a flight management computer for my flight simulator, it feels more realistic taping the keys with my fingers just like a real FMC, sure beats clicking with a mouse on a monitor. Although I expect this is not really a valid reason anyone would purchase an iPad for.

Upvote 0

sea oat

Jul 30, 2010
✟8,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Whether or not there's an advantage depends on personal preference, and needs.

Personally, I just use one when I want to do something like surf the net in bed, like I'm doing right now. Otherwise, I see very little point, to be 100% honest. The whole advantage of mobile web browsing on a bigger screen is entirely lost for me, because it isn't easy to find wifi in my area outside of my house, and because I'm not going to waste data by tethering, or waste money by buying an extra data/hotspot plan. Most of the stuff I do that requires mobility (including notetaking) can be done much more efficiently with my droid phone, or with laptop.

However, using them for very basic tasks, like web browsing, game playing, and video watching, is easier for children, and Senior citizens. Not that I'm saying tablets are only useful for those age groups, obviously, but my parents have tablets for the very Reason that they "get" the iPad, but not laptops. It makes life a little easier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anglozaxon

Oct 24, 2012
✟15,736.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My parents are one of the least tech-savvy people on the planet, but somehow, the iPad has changed that for them. Now, they're emailing, watching Netflix online, etc. It's crazy.

Big wow, do your parents offer lessons for the technologically challenged by any chance;)

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, we went ahead and got an iPad yesterday, and today I have buyer's remorse. First there's the insane cost of the device. Then we bought a camera kit so we could download pix from the camera onto it. We of course then had to buy an adapter so that the camera kit would work on the newest iPad (with the "lightning" port). Finally (?) I had to buy a USB transfer cable to transfer stuff from my PC to the iPad. (Perhaps I could use iCloud -- I'll have to investigate that before I open the package for the transfer cable.)

Plus, it seems the most worthwhile apps will require an Internet connection, which is fine when I'm at home in my WiFi space, but to use a cellular connection outside of WiFi would cost another $20/month. Well, I'm determined to at least get my pictures on there! Apple stuff seems to be a big money pit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anglozaxon

Oct 24, 2012
✟15,736.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, we went ahead and got an iPad yesterday, and today I have buyer's remorse. First there's the insane cost of the device. Then we bought a camera kit so we could download pix from the camera onto it. We of course then had to buy an adapter so that the camera kit would work on the newest iPad (with the "lightning" port). Finally (?) I had to buy a USB transfer cable to transfer stuff from my PC to the iPad. (Perhaps I could use iCloud -- I'll have to investigate that before I open the package for the transfer cable.)

Plus, it seems the most worthwhile apps will require an Internet connection, which is fine when I'm at home in my WiFi space, but to use a cellular connection outside of WiFi would cost another $20/month. Well, I'm determined to at least get my pictures on there! Apple stuff seems to be a big money pit.

Did you consider any of the other Tablets on the market(admittedly, prescription ones might be advised after your mega spend), I have glanced at some of them but am not really sure how they compare to the Ipad.
I would interested to know how you get on with your Ipad in the coming weeks and find out if it was worth it.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you consider any of the other Tablets on the market(admittedly, prescription ones might be advised after your mega spend), I have glanced at some of them but am not really sure how they compare to the Ipad.
I would interested to know how you get on with your Ipad in the coming weeks and find out if it was worth it.
We did not consider other tablets because we've been sucked into the marketing hype that says the iPad is the ultimate tablet. Let's face it, Apple at least has a reputation for producing decent stuff.

I am able to use iCloud to transfer pix from my computer to the iPad. I have no idea if the camera kit will work to move pix from my camera. I may have to move them from the camera to the computer and then use iCloud again. At least I was able to get my money back by returning the USB transfer cable.

Besides getting my pictures on it, I'm still trying to think of what else I might be able to use it for. Clearly, it's going to be of the most use at home in my WiFi zone. I have downloaded a bookreader app in hopes that maybe I'll find some good eBooks to read. There's a Gmail app that lets me get at my Gmail (but I always have my laptop by my side). Maybe I'll get a weather app.

Seems silly to have to try to come up with ways to make it useful -- especially since I'm on my laptop so much of the time. I'll update this thread if my feelings change, but so far I'm still thinking we could have made much better use of the $$.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well it's been almost two weeks, and I must admit that I don't have as much buyer's remorse as I did when I first got the iPad. Both my wife and I have been using it a lot since we got it, and I thought I'd post what we're using it for. As I said before, it would be better to have a cellular-capable tablet, but who can afford to spend yet another $130 more up-front plus at least an additional $20/month? (Coughing up the extra money, though, would let us use some cool features like the GPS, real-time traffic, and finding the best Internet price on items while at the store.) So, we're using the Internet-required features from our (WiFi-enabled) home, and we try to store things locally for when we'll not be on a network.

So far, we are using it for:
  • Storing pictures
  • Google searches
  • You Tube
  • Facebook
  • Access to our web Email accounts
  • Google Maps
  • Bible reading (btw, there's a version of e-Sword for the iPad, but it costs something like $5, so I only use it on my laptop)
  • Playing Words With Friends and other games
  • Weather lookup
  • Borrowing and reading eBooks from the library
  • Buying and reading eBooks
  • Reading USA Today and doing its crosswords
  • Wikipedia reading
  • Web surfing

Really, not much that can't be done from my laptop, but the iPad is a bit faster. However, a tradeoff is it's much easier to type on the laptop. (I'm a touch typist, but if you're a hunt-and-peck person this may not be a big deal to you.)

So I'd say the iPad is mostly a convenient toy with eBook-reading capabilities.

I don't know if it's worth the money, but then are any toys?

Upvote 0
S

Sectio Aureo

Well it's been almost two weeks, and I must admit that I don't have as much buyer's remorse as I did when I first got the iPad. Both my wife and I have been using it a lot since we got it, and I thought I'd post what we're using it for. As I said before, it would be better to have a cellular-capable tablet, but who can afford to spend yet another $130 more up-front plus at least an additional $20/month? (Coughing up the extra money, though, would let us use some cool features like the GPS, real-time traffic, and finding the best Internet price on items while at the store.) So, we're using the Internet-required features from our (WiFi-enabled) home, and we try to store things locally for when we'll not be on a network.

So far, we are using it for:
  • Storing pictures
  • Google searches
  • You Tube
  • Facebook
  • Access to our web Email accounts
  • Google Maps
  • Bible reading (btw, there's a version of e-Sword for the iPad, but it costs something like $5, so I only use it on my laptop)
  • Playing Words With Friends and other games
  • Weather lookup
  • Borrowing and reading eBooks from the library
  • Buying and reading eBooks
  • Reading USA Today and doing its crosswords
  • Wikipedia reading
  • Web surfing

Really, not much that can't be done from my laptop, but the iPad is a bit faster. However, a tradeoff is it's much easier to type on the laptop. (I'm a touch typist, but if you're a hunt-and-peck person this may not be a big deal to you.)

So I'd say the iPad is mostly a convenient toy with eBook-reading capabilities.

I don't know if it's worth the money, but then are any toys?

You can always hotspot your iPad to your iPhone or pocket wifi device if you want to have wifi while out and about.

Do you use it for CF?

I'm using one now but I find it frustrating at times trying to parse posts on forums using safari but there are a couple of good forum apps around.

Upvote 0