No
✟32,311.00
Country
Western Sahara
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I mean I guess it is that simple in that it is a simple prayer, but there is a lot to the prayer and one could dedicate one's entire life to mastering it.

It's sorta like saying all you have to do to win a record 100m sprint is run really fast along a track. Simple instruction really, but there's a lot to unpack in it. You've gotta get yourself in order first, make sure you're fit, probably have an instructor etc. etc.

I believe he speaks the truth in that many have attained salvation through those prayers alone (along with participation in the sacraments as others have said), but to actually do it is not easy.

I imagine he is speaking to people who already partake in the Church sacraments thus he is assuming that already.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,591.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I guess the fact that he's wearing his epitrachelion kind of speaks to that.

There are others struggling, also on the edge, with skepticism warring with a realization of the need to repent, and a fading sense of that need being an indication of spiritual death. You're not the only one. Choosing to believe that God is greater than the humans in the right Church who mess everything up and cause us to lose hope helps.

I am constantly crushed by the general rejection of sexual morality among churched people, including the embrace of divorce as "a way out". It drives me to a desire to reject the organization those people are in as "not the Church". Their choices affect me. I KNOW what the Christian ideal is in those things. I have violated it myself, and am a forgiven sinner, who continues to sin, in small, boring, unspectacular ways, that prevent me from even imagining myself to be great in sinning.

That goes for everyone who thinks that we know better than the fathers and Christians of the past because of modern education and science. I am repelled to find attitudes in the Church that say "WE know better, period." I just have nowhere to go. And I doubt you do, either, otherwise you wouldn't be here.

I don't know that I CAN hold on. But as long as I can, I'll try to, and keep saying those simple prayers. After all these years, I don't have a better answer. And neither do you.

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟28,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know that I CAN hold on. But as long as I can, I'll try to, and keep saying those simple prayers. After all these years, I don't have a better answer. And neither do you.

This is pretty much it, yeah...

Upvote 0