peterborough
✟33,497.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I just read the opening blurb, at least no denomination is good, but it is still hard to translate to english, as there are 22-27 different ways of spelling any word, whether, singular, plural, masculine, feminine or neuter gender, 1st, 2nd or 3rd person speech, past, present or future tense, & whether the case is Genitive, Dative, Accusative or nominative. With all that there are the customs, idioms & culture of the people. All this applies to the Hebrew old testament too. Needs individual study, & a wariness of believing anybody, however good their intentions. Let's hope there is accuracy, which I doubt, as it sounds quite interactive, which could mean 'too many chiefs & not enough Indians!'

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
  • Winner
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think it's good. The one verse I looked up, 2Cor 5.21, shows some rigidity of word order, whereas the Greek allows flexibility to make the translation into English more natural without sacrificing accuracy. I give the Berean's Literal Bible the edge .

• Winner
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I disagree with their 1 Cor 13:10 translation. In the MLV it reads "but whenever the completed thing comes, then what is partial will be done-away"

the word translated "completed thing" is an abstract and there is no "thing" in the text nor does it demand a "thing" (it would have been added by the translators) if they want to use a quantitative word to pair with "partial" then it should be "whenever the completeness comes..." (like what the NIV does) keeping the abstract and if they wanted to use a qualitative word which is more popular it should be something like "perfection" or "the perfect" like what most other translations do.

To me they show a bias here that actually ignores the Greek.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Just Christian

Feb 19, 2020
Ohio
✟15,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
1Co 13:10 is the Greek construction of "the +(a neutered adjective)" which is translated properly as 'the complete thing'. This practice has been going on since Tyndale. It just seems the MLV does a much better job of it, doing a quick scan of "thing & things" there are plenty of them. The 3500+ page dictionary that comes with the MLV in e-Sword & MySword has a lot of explanations of such items like "thing / things".

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums