Bethesda
✟29,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm very grateful for the improvements God, through people, has brought to us in this day and age. There's Christian TV, YouTube, much easier work, less strife, as we all likely know.

But something that I find disturbing is the equating of happiness with "fun." To me, fun is meaningless and mindless distraction. It's sensual pleasure, which I think leads to sadness.

On the other hand, it seems like there have always been hedonists, like in Ancient Greece and Rome. So maybe it's not a problem of the modern world, per se? I just feel like maybe I can understand why an Amish child would remain with the Amish.

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd like a return to some tradional methods of doing things but not to the extreme. I want to be a joiner so I like the traditional side, old techniques and ways of collecting the wood for example.

Most other things I'm not very knowledgable about. I just like a lot of old ways which I think reached a peak and then declined in a lot of ways. Using proprer materials for clothes like wool mainly for winter.

I don't really see your point about fun though? You can have fun without electricity. Sorry if I misunderstand you. I don't want to be Amish but I like some of their ways. Those that I know.

I usually see something and think "wasn't the old way of doing it better?" even washing clothes in a big bath made by a tradional cooperage lol.

Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm very grateful for the improvements God, through people, has brought to us in this day and age. There's Christian TV, YouTube, much easier work, less strife, as we all likely know.

But something that I find disturbing is the equating of happiness with "fun." To me, fun is meaningless and mindless distraction. It's sensual pleasure, which I think leads to sadness.

On the other hand, it seems like there have always been hedonists, like in Ancient Greece and Rome. So maybe it's not a problem of the modern world, per se? I just feel like maybe I can understand why an Amish child would remain with the Amish.

God is fun as well. God brings laughter. (Proverbs 17:22)
So you shouldn't be against fun. God enjoys us having enjoyment in HIM.

There's been a lot of improvements but also a downside with the millennial generation.
That I detail in the link below. Please Pray
The Secrets of The Gospel: U.S Declining Birth Rates? Climate Change?

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In ancient times, the point of life was Eudamonia - a good life. This was often coupled to virtue. Nowadays, everyone just wants to be 'happy'. It is ridiculous. Sometimes you need to struggle, to feed your family or do something of worth. This fun or happiness seeking mentality just leads to self-destructive behaviour and nihilism, when inevitably "All is Vanity" - as the Preacher says.

No, I have always felt out of place in my times. I feel like a Cassandra or Boethius bewailing our actions, or a Jeremiah. Not that I am worthy of the comparison, mind you, but the modern world seems significantly shallower and jaded than what came before. For instance, Jean II willingly returned to English captivity, out of a sense of honour, when they couldn't pay his ransom as they had agreed - would anyone do so today? There are many such examples.

Upvote 0