Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does your reply mean that you think Jesus did not shun nor advocate shunning?
Loving your enemies does not seem like shunning them. If they do not want anything to do with you and ask you to go away, leaving is not shunning them.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you'd find such a Church, unless it was a cult. Have you seen any such Churches?
Idolatry is so subtle. I've seen it, but they wouldn't draw that conclusion.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Some religions that call themselves christian shun ex-members. Shunning can go as far as cutting off family, friends, and every other associate. What do you think of that as a Christian response to someone leaving the faith or moving to another?

Depends on the context, and the motivation.

If you knew someone was committing a great evil, would you separate yourself from them?

Similarly, if you had a friend, and they decided to go full on drug dealer or a gang member, or a pimp... would you separate yourself from them?

If you are wise, the answer is yes.

If you hang out with gang members, you could end up rounded up in a sting, and have a criminal record.

Even if you did not, you could end up with a ruined reputation, and cause disgrace on your family.

I had a woman friend years ago, self-proclaimed christian, said she spoke in tongues, and saw angels... she decided she was going to full on cheat on her husband, openly. I tried to talk to her about her evil, and she gave me this "god wants me happy" garbage, and was dead set on doing what she wanted.

Well.. I had to separate from her. I'm a single guy, and she's a wife openly cheating on her husband.... I'm not going to stick around someone like that, and so I got away from her. If I hang out with someone like that, all I'm doing giving everyone that idea that I'm in on this, and worse that this is what the name of Jesus stands for.

So I shunned her... I haven't spoken to her since.

I fully believe that there is a in fact a time and a place for shunning.

Now I don't know if that includes cutting off friends and family, and all associates..... for what cause? That sounds like some sort of cult.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Spoken like a cult leader. So sad. Seems he has an 'all-truth' and no grace answer for almost any question.
“Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.” (2 Corinthians 6:14–18)

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,197.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This is a curious thread. It brings to mind my own experience with my sister-in-law. Nine years ago she determined that I had committed some unpardonable sin (she never informed me what it was) and put my brother and their children under a strict order to shun me entirely until I should repent. However, having been found guilty of an unnamed unpardonable sin has merely left me puzzled. I am quite convinced that as long as she is alive she and her family will continue to shun me. I cannot repent of a sin of which I known nothing about, much less have committed.

My point is that I have all too often observed otherwise fine Christians put out of churches for personal petty reasons and not for any particular sin which would merit such harsh treatment.

Only twice in my life have I observed a biblical practice of putting out a false brother from a church.

Upvote 0