• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured What do you think of shunning?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by GingerBeer, May 22, 2019.

1. GingerBeer

GingerBeer Cool and refreshing with a kick!

+1,094
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    Information and an additional pole in the fight/flight dualism that you propose.

2. crossnote

crossnote Berean Supporter

+995
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    That passage in 1Cor 5 isn't about handing the whole Church over to satan. Who gave you that idea? And that individual ended up coming back in repentance which is the goal of Church discipline.

3. GingerBeer

GingerBeer Cool and refreshing with a kick!

+1,094
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    How would you deal with someone who went from being a Calvinist, for example, to being a Methodist arminian?

4. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,733
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    The church is currently full of denominations that imply or declare that many of their neighbour denomination are not Christian or Saved, since the church is actively blaspheming the Holy Spirit in one way or another, the handing over would be apt.

5. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,053
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    They are fringe.... unloving and unforgiving sects of Christianity. They error if they shun. Shunning is a sin. Calvinism is a sin. Works salvation is a sin. Take your pick. Shunning expresses cultic type behaviour.

6. crossnote

+995
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Each local Church should have oversight of it's own, not other Churches. The pastor is their to feed and protect his flock, not try to shepherd other flocks.

7. Michael Collum

+3,733
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Should is as should does ... but not as it is.

8. crossnote

+995
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    That's why I no longer look for the 'perfect' Church.

9. Peter J Barban

Peter J Barban Well-Known Member

+504
    Christian
    Married
    Years ago when I was a young Christian, my roommate's best friend, Phil, came out of a cult-like church and he was shunned. They even cut up pictures of him and sent them back to him in the mail.

He joined our church and was very wounded by the experience. Fortunately, my roommate and others helped him recover. It was a big turning point for Phil when he was able to laugh during a small group prayer/worship session.

That kind of shunning is evil and should never be done by Christians.

10. Michael Collum

+3,733
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I just look for a church that doesn't act like reading the bible suddenly makes them God.

11. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+2,597
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I don’t know what Methodists believe. But for the most part I would encourage them to look into the Eastern Orthodox teachings. ;)

12. Chris V++

Chris V++ In Orbit Supporter

+733
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Stop liking their Facebook posts. :)

13. But_First_Coffee

But_First_Coffee New Member

+31
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    "Fool me once or twice, shame on you. Fool me three times, shame on me"
    Eventually, you do have to cut ties if they keep doing what they're doing.
    I'm not exempt. In the past year, my husband and I have cut ties with not 1, not 2 but 5 people all who were dragging us into negativity and away from God. BUT
    I pray for them. IF they ever came back around and I could see and really FEEL real change, I would talk to them. Maybe we would not be the way we were before, but I wouldn't keep them totally blocked if they were open to hearing my advice, sharing faith with me, etc...

14. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+1,574
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    If all we're talking about is changing denominations, then it hardly matters. I grew up a Calvinist kid in an Arminian Pentecostal family and church, and later switched to a cessationist Baptist church (I am not cessationist). I have never yet attended a denomination that I wholly agreed with. Moving from one denomination to another is merely exchanging one imperfect set of ideology for another, though many are as good as necessary to be called brothers and sisters in Christ.

If a brother had switched to Orthodoxy or Catholicism, then it would be a switch to a church that regarded itself as a different religion, which did not consider me a member of Christ's church. The schism in that move would be rather unavoidable. I would not shun such a person, but the relationship would be cooled. I would not chat about doctrine as a fellow believer with common ground, because any apparent common ground could be a mere confusion of terms.

The idea of shunning appeals to me greatly, though. Usually, around late November to mid-December I find myself regretting that I had not been shunned by my natal family.

15. crossnote

+995
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I don't think you'd find such a Church, unless it was a cult. Have you seen any such Churches?

16. Chris V++

Chris V++ In Orbit Supporter

+733
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    But is that the same thing as not considering you Christian? I ve been told they distinguish between being Christian and being a member of Christ's Church, as opposed to the protestant view of an invisible church comprising all true believers.

17. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+1,888
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Sometimes it is necessary in extreme cases but we are to be patient and kind and point to the faith of Jesus and pray they will repent and be brought into ... or ... back into the faith.

Luke 12 (Jesus said)

51Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52From now on, five in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three. 53They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law. ”

1st Corinthians 5

11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one.

2nd Thessalonians

14 If anyone does not obey what we say in this letter, take note of that person, and have nothing to do with him, that he may be ashamed.

18. Jermayn

Jermayn New Member

+12
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    I have family members that are Jehovah's Witness's who did this. They just disappeared one day with their children. It really hurt their parents that they may never see their children or grandchildren again. It hurts, but we have to keep Christ the center of our own lives and carry on.

19. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+1,574
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    They won't say that we're not Christian, but they will say that we're not members of the Church (rather than a church). I went with their wording out of fairness, though I don't see any difference between a Christian and a member of Christ's church.

20. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+5,570
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    The word "cult" is a lot like "idolatry" and "necromancy".

People don't know what those words mean. They just think they do.