What do you think of shunning?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Some religions that call themselves christian shun ex-members. Shunning can go as far as cutting off family, friends, and every other associate. What do you think of that as a Christian response to someone leaving the faith or moving to another?

Do what is written in Scripture.

If someone goes and sins, and continues sinning,

AFTER the appropriate steps (as written) are taken,

THEN if they continue sinning without repentance,

DO what the FATHER YAHUWEH CREATOR SAYS in HIS WORD TO DO -

put them out of the fellowship

UNTIL (and IF) they return (repent) to sin no more.

The Father, in His Word and Plan and Purpose in Christ Jesus,

gives no other option, except perhaps "deliver them over to hasatan", which is another topic.

Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If we're talking about groups like the Amish and Mennonites, remember that we're talking about extreme Calvinists. The person who walked away from their church would then be non-elect--someone already selected for damnation by God.
Except that neither Mennonites nor Amish are Calvinists.

Upvote 0

But_First_Coffee

May 21, 2019
Jacksonville
✟14,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some religions that call themselves christian shun ex-members. Shunning can go as far as cutting off family, friends, and every other associate. What do you think of that as a Christian response to someone leaving the faith or moving to another?

I think it's dumb. I think the person who fell out of faith needs the love and forgiveness of Jesus to shine through the other Christians more than ever. It doesn't mean condone their actions, it means show them grace and God's love but also gently reprimand them for what they are doing that is wrong. It's one thing to take a little time and space from someone who is hurting you, but it's another to block them out completely. They need to know people are praying for them. They need to know they have a loving family and friends and can return to them like the prodigal son. Christians sometimes act like it's a VIP club or a clique but Jesus walked among everyone, and forgave anyone who asked for it.

Reactions: GingerBeer
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
and forgave anyone who asked for it.
Not according to :

BibleGateway - Keyword Search: torah
Hebrews 10:26-29 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

26 For if we deliberately continue to sin after receiving the knowledge of the truth,
there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but only the terrifying prospect of Judgment, of raging fire that will consume the enemies.[a]

28 Someone who disregards the Torah of Moshe is put to death without mercy on the word of two or three witnesses. 29 Think how much worse will be the punishment deserved by someone who has trampled underfoot the Son of God;

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Amish folk do it. some Mennonite groups do it too. Jehovah's witnesses do it. Some Brethren groups do it.

Well Jehovah Witnesses are essentially a cult. My mother had a friend who was an Ex-JW so I don't have much positive to say about them.

As for the Anabaptist groups, I personally do not have much of an opinion on them except that, theologically, they're incorrect.

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don’t believe in the practice unless they are less than trustworthy or kind. After Christmas I had to stop speaking with one family member who constantly belittled my boy. Other than that I try other ways to solve the problem.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not sure if any have mentioned this passage yet...

It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife. And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you. For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord. Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.
(1Co 5:1-7)

In any case, Church discipline seems sorely lacking amongst today's Evangelical Church.
And how would the above be carried out in larger cities? People simply pack up and change Church locations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's dumb. I think the person who fell out of faith needs the love and forgiveness of Jesus to shine through the other Christians more than ever. It doesn't mean condone their actions, it means show them grace and God's love but also gently reprimand them for what they are doing that is wrong. It's one thing to take a little time and space from someone who is hurting you, but it's another to block them out completely. They need to know people are praying for them. They need to know they have a loving family and friends and can return to them like the prodigal son. Christians sometimes act like it's a VIP club or a clique but Jesus walked among everyone, and forgave anyone who asked for it.
What about those who intentionally game the system?

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It depends.. if were talking JUST Church.. you leave and they will not talk to you any more have nothing to do with you.. its not YOU its them. Unless your a couple and the girl says..its me not you.. this case.. its you :)

Some do this.. praise GOD glory to Jesus.. dont judge.. love them. Dust off your feet and keep going

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,617.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

When my immediate family left the RCC, many years ago, we were shunned by some of the wider family still in the RCC. Many went to their graves never speaking to us, to me again. I didn't understand it at the time, I was very young, all I knew is that it was very painful. There was one great-aunt in particular I was fond of who broke off all contact. It's something in a way you will never get over.

The underlying issue was that we no longer believed in some of the beliefs and practices of the church.

It's not God's will. Of that I'm sure. The Good Samaritan. God Bless :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Shunning is something animals do, it is my impression that the kingdom of God is supposed to rise above the order of the beast and show a new way of being human.

It would kind of imply shunning is something a group of people who were born into a religion might do, but not people who are born again by the Holy Spirit.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
WHY do people keep mis-using the term "cult?"

Because they're not misusing it?

1 Cor 5:10.13 "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat"..."But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person."

2 Thess 3:14-15 "And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother."

I wonder when Jesus did that? People kept leaving Him, no need for shunning.

1) The Bible says not to keep company with them.
2) The Bible does not teach the man made idea of denominationalism but teaches there is one body (church), one faith, one baptism, (Ephesians 4:4-5).

At the same time Jesus taught to leave the 99 and go after the 1 sheep who wandered off. Guess, Jesus was wrong eh?

Works great! Good way to cut the stress.

I recall hearing about backdoor revivals, the above post is typical of the attitude for congregations that do them.

I see why you draw that conclusion but some Calvinist groups such as the Protestant Reformed Church practise similar shunning and it is likely that some Baptists and some independent churches do too. Are those all cults?

If an individual congregation or whole denomination practice that kind of thing, yes.

Do what is written in Scripture.

If someone goes and sins, and continues sinning,

AFTER the appropriate steps (as written) are taken,

THEN if they continue sinning without repentance,

DO what the FATHER YAHUWEH CREATOR SAYS in HIS WORD TO DO -

put them out of the fellowship

UNTIL (and IF) they return (repent) to sin no more.

The Father, in His Word and Plan and Purpose in Christ Jesus,

gives no other option, except perhaps "deliver them over to hasatan", which is another topic.

Wow, delivered to Satan in three weeks or your money back, what happened to leading people to Jesus?

Not according to :

BibleGateway - Keyword Search: torah
Hebrews 10:26-29 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

26 For if we deliberately continue to sin after receiving the knowledge of the truth,
there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but only the terrifying prospect of Judgment, of raging fire that will consume the enemies.[a]

28 Someone who disregards the Torah of Moshe is put to death without mercy on the word of two or three witnesses. 29 Think how much worse will be the punishment deserved by someone who has trampled underfoot the Son of God;

So I guess, if I need mercy and forgiveness, your denomination is not the place to go ..

Then what's all that about the prodigal son?

I know, right?

Not sure if any have mentioned this passage yet...

It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife. And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you. For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord. Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.
(1Co 5:1-7)

In any case, Church discipline seems sorely lacking amongst today's Evangelical Church.
And how would the above be carried out in larger cities? People simply pack up and change Church locations.

So, we can just hand the whole church over to the devil and stuff, and see who's left .. right?

It depends.. if were talking JUST Church.. you leave and they will not talk to you any more have nothing to do with you.. its not YOU its them. Unless your a couple and the girl says..its me not you.. this case.. its you :)

Some do this.. praise GOD glory to Jesus.. dont judge.. love them. Dust off your feet and keep going

Good balanced way of looking at it.

==============

My thoughts on this beyond my previous post.

I think shunning is what happens when you have church kids all grown up emphasizing the teachings in the New Testament after the Gospels, without the understanding of what happened in the Gospels.

In other words, it's like cultivating people who are like Paul without Jesus.

• Informative
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 Cor 5:10.13 "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat"..."But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person."

2 Thess 3:14-15 "And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother."
I believe these passages are talking about excommunication, not shunning. There is a difference.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I have to admit my take on this subject is not biblical. Personally I don’t like the idea of shunning an unbeliever even if they did believe at one time. Obviously I wouldn’t condone what they are doing and I would make it clear that I strongly disagree with their decision but I would constantly be doing everything I could to help bring them back to Christ.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

We attended a congregation back in the early 90s that had a very strong anti-abuse message. At one time, a particular husband was identified as someone who was beating his wife. The police weren't handling the issue, but that didn't really matter for the congregation.

The attitude of the men of the congregation was, essentially, "No, you can't practice beating your wife and then come among us in our gatherings as if everything was copacetic. We don't want your company until you repent and cease that behavior."

That’s tough love but I would agree with that decision. Beating your wife is not unintentional or a matter of weakness. There is something definitely wrong with the heart for a person to do that. I would have to question whether or not there was a true repentance in that person because the evidence is not there.

Upvote 0