Wisconsin
✟9,271.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What do you think about psychic powers? Scam, evil, or good? Please explain your answer.

Keep in mind the reference in the Bible is to mediums and spiritists in the Old Testament. We have to consider that telepathy and others are not mentioned. (1 Samuel 1:28 and the 10 commandments). In the New Testament in Acts 16:16 it mentions a girl who had a spirit by which she told the future but doesn't specifically call it evil or good. Then we have the spiritual gift problem later (1 Corinthians 12:8-11) which mentions miraculous powers, prophecy, and distinguishing between spirits to name the most interesting ones, which bear a resemblance to psychic gifts. Given all that information, now explain what you think of psychic powers. If you feel you can't give me an appropriate moral judgement here, please private message me.

Spherical Time

Reality has a well known Liberal bias.
Apr 20, 2005
New York City
Visit site
✟11,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I think it's a scam. No one has ever been able to demonstrate psychic abilities in test circumstances, and if they're that limited, they're next to worthless anyway.

Also:

Jacque said:
Doooood I totally want telekinisis. Like Professor X. I could go and throw cars and levitate of the ground and do kinetic punches PLUS my normal punch to be the ULTIMATE SUPER HERO! Plus I'd get babes.
Professor X is a telepath, not a telekinetic. He can't levitate objects.

Perhaps you had him confused with Jean Grey?

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Spherical Time said:
I think it's a scam. No one has ever been able to demonstrate psychic abilities in test circumstances, and if they're that limited, they're next to worthless anyway.

Agree. Those who claim to be pyschics are either engaging in deception or self-delusion.

Upvote 0

Job_s_First_Son

Feb 17, 2006
✟15,638.00
Faith
Atheist
Though intellectually I think its a scam, if anyone I know or meet (like my mom, sister,brother, wife, bass player in my old band, etc.) says they have some run in with the supernatural I sincerely believe them (eventhough they might not think I do) because its always the doubter that gets killed in all the movies. Plus, what the hey, I could be wrong.

(ahh, good to be off post 13!)

Reactions: Illuminatus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nightson

Take two snuggles and call me in the morning
Jul 11, 2005
California
✟5,839.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jacque said:
I KNEW you were going to say that. Seriously. I was like "OOOHHHHHmmmmmmmm-Nightson-is-going-to-challenge-someone-to-do-their-psychic-powers-in-a-scientific-atmosphereeeeeeee-ooooooooo-oooohhhhhhhmmmmm"

Like ZOMG I so totally believe in psychic powers now!!!!1111one!!!

Upvote 0

Cleany

"I desire mercy, not sacrifice&am
Aug 2, 2005
Berkshire
✟9,292.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
meh i think it would be foolish to dismiss such things out of hand and say they are "impossible", and what kind of a stupid idiot would a psychic be if he came forward to "prove" it in todays western culture of scepticism and hype.

you can be sure that if such people exist they would be smart enough to keep it to themselves. there are many things that we take for granted that are not true. that doesnt mean that we should dive headlong into any idea of psychic powers, but why dismiss them completely?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Telephone

Jan 20, 2006
✟876.00
Faith
Atheist
Ryal Kane said:
I don't beleive psychic powers exist. Most often they're a case of self delusion rather than deception.

It's pattern recognition, cold reading, suggestion and remembering the hits and ignoring the misses.

It's silly. But's not evil.

Lose the 'cold reading' and we have a pretty good description of religious belief !

Upvote 0

CSmrw

Jan 10, 2006
✟10,350.00
Faith
Atheist
Aimee30 said:
What do you think about psychic powers? Scam, evil, or good? Please explain your answer.

Keep in mind the reference in the Bible is to mediums and spiritists in the Old Testament. We have to consider that telepathy and others are not mentioned. (1 Samuel 1:28 and the 10 commandments). In the New Testament in Acts 16:16 it mentions a girl who had a spirit by which she told the future but doesn't specifically call it evil or good. Then we have the spiritual gift problem later (1 Corinthians 12:8-11) which mentions miraculous powers, prophecy, and distinguishing between spirits to name the most interesting ones, which bear a resemblance to psychic gifts. Given all that information, now explain what you think of psychic powers. If you feel you can't give me an appropriate moral judgement here, please private message me.

I think Michael Shermer has a great book on things like this.

Upvote 0

relaxeus

YES!! Another possibility!!
Apr 14, 2006
✟8,301.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Liberals
Aimee30 said:

Ok by me. If psychic powers are for real and they are a result of biology and not spirits then psychic powers are fine. If they are the result of spirits then Im undecided. The intentions of the spirits may be harmful. Who knows what their intentions are.

Upvote 0