What do you think is required to be saved?

Butterball1

Dec 31, 2020
Tennessee
✟32,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
----to be saved-----

--one must hear the word of God Romans 10:17. One cannot believe what he has not heard, Romans 10:13-14. Christianity is a taught religion, Matthew 28:19-20; 1 Corinthians 1:21.

--upon hearing God's word, one must believe what he has heard developing faith within the heart, Romans 10:9; John 8:24; John 3:16.

--one then must repent of his sins (Luke 13:3) turning from living in sin to living a godly, righteous life pleasing to God for the impenitent will be lost Romans 2:4-5.

--one must make the great confession of faith, Matthew 10:32-33; Romans 10:9-10. Christ will deny those who deny Him/who will not confess Him.

--one must then submit to water baptism where the blood of Christ washes away sin.....the old man of sins dies, is buried in a watery grave then the new creature in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17) is raised up from that watery grave to walk in newness of life, Romans 6:3-5; Acts 2:38; Mark 16:16

--one then must live faithful to death, Revelation 2:10.
Addendum to my earlier post. The Bible clearly teaches one must hear (Romans 10:17) believe (John 8:24) repent (Lue 13:3) confess (Matthew 10:32-33) and be baptized (Mark 16:16) to obtain the promise of eternal life.

The other side of the coin, one thing the Bible clearly teaches that does NOT save is faith only, James 2:24. Followers of Luther's faith only create a false 'either-or' dichotomy. They claim you are either saved by no works (faith only) or you try and earn salvation by doing any kind of work. They refuse to acknowledge that free gifts, as salvation, can come with preconditions attached and meeting the precondition does not, cannot earn the free gift. God has made obedience to his will a precondition in receiving His free gift. There are many examples, OT and NT, where men/women obeyed God in order to receive His free gift yet not ever is their obedience said to earn the free gift.

Biblical examples:

Exodus 16:
God owed the Israelites nothing but because of His grace God sent them the free gift of manna. Yet the free gift came with the condition of the Israelites doing the work of gathering the manna. Had the Israelites not done the work of gathering the manna (faith only) then they would have remained hungry. Therefore they must have done the work of gathering the manna in order to receive this free gift from God yet the work of gathering earned them nothing.

2 Kings 5:
God did not owe Naaman anything but because of God's grace He would heal Naaman's disease. Yet this free gift came to Naaman with the condition that he do the work of going and dipping in the Jordan River 7 times. Had Naaman not done the work of dipping (faith only) then he would have maintained his disease. Therefore Naaman must have done the work of dipping in order to receive this free gift from God yet the work of dipping earned Naaman nothing.

Joshua 6:
God would give the Israelites the city of Jericho as a gift. Yet this free gift came with many conditions including the requirement of the Israelites to march around the city. Had the Israelites done no work (faith only) then they would have not received this free gift of God. Therefore Israel must have obeyed in doing those works in order to receive this free gift of God and doing these works in no way earned them the city.

John 9:
Jesus did not owe the blind man anything but because of His grace Jesus would heal the man's blindness. Yet this free gift came to the blind man with the condition he go and wash in the pool of Siloam. Had the blind man not done the work of going and washing in pool (faith only), he would have remained blind. Therefore the blind man must have done the work of going and washing in order to receive this free gift from Christ yet the work of going and dipping earned him nothing.

Matthew 19:
Jesus did not owe the rich man anything but because of His grace He offered the rich man the free gift of eternal life. Yet this free gift came with conditions of obeying God's commands. The rich man met those conditions except for one...go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. The rich man did not obey, did not do this work of righteousness thereby refusing the free gift that had been offered him. He therefore must have obeyed in order to receive the free gift Christ had offered to him for free yet his obedience in no way would have earned him eternal life.

Acts 2:
Peter, in his sermon, offered his listeners the free gift of salvation which is a result of God's grace. This free gift came with the condition they call upon the name of the Lord/repent and be baptized, verses 21, 38. Had they not done this work (faith only) they would have remained lost in their unremitted sins. Yet to receive this free gift of God required they conditionally call upon the name of the Lord/repent and be baptized and their obedience in doing this in no way would have earned them God's free gift.

John 6:
Jesus told His hearers He would "give" (it's free) the gift of everlasting life. Yet this free gift came with the condition of laboring. Had Christ's hearers had done no laboring (faith only) they would not receive this free gift. Therefore they must labor to receive the free gift of everlasting life and their laboring in no way would earned them everlasting life.

Romans 6:
Paul said those Romans had been freed from sin/justified, a free gift of God, v23. Yet this free gift came with the condition of obeying from the heart that form of doctrine. Had they had done no obeying (faith only) they would have remained in their sins/unjustified. Therefore they must have obeyed from the heart in order to receive the free gift of God and obeying in no way earned them God's free gift.

Rev 22:
The waters of life are freely given, a free gift that is made available to all/whosoever. Yet this free gift comes with the condition that one must obey in coming and taking of this water of life. If one does nothing (faith only) he will never get the free gift of the water of life therefore one must do the obedient works in coming and taking of this water and those works in no way earns one this water of life.

Acts 10:
Salvation was a free gift that came to the Gentiles by God's grace. Yet this free gift came with the condition of 'working righteousness', v35. If the Gentiles had done nothing (faith only) they never would have been accepted with God. Therefore the Gentiles must have worked righteousness (obey the command to be water baptized) to be saved yet this working righteousness would earn the Gentiles nothing.

Hebrews 11:
Salvation of Noah's household was a free gift of God, for God owed Noah nothing. Yet God put the precondition of Noah building the ark in order to receive the free gift salvation from the flood. The work earned Noah nothing. Had Noah not obeyed. done nothing, had faith only and just 'thought' about building the ark he would not have received the free gift but perished with the wicked of that generation.

Matt 7:21:
"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven"
Is this verse teaching one must work, do some thing to earn entrance into the kingdom? Follower's of Luther must say that it does. When in reality, doing the will of God, obedience, is a precondition God put upon His free gift of entering the kingdom. Those who disobey God and refuse to obey will never find that entrance.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Hello you; thank you for coming to check out this thread.

The video above is a total time of 1:13; hopefully the direct delivery will help.

What do you think is required to be saved?
I've cut and pasted part of a post of mine from another thread:

Salvation is 100% through Jesus Christ because apart from Him we can do nothing John (15:5), whether to believe, or to persist in doing good Rom (2:7), or to obey the law (Rom 2:13 and Matt 19:26), or to do those works that He’s prepared for us to do in advance (Eph 2:10), or to forgive others (Matt 6:15), or do to “for the least of these” (Matt 25), or to put to death the sins of the flesh (Rom 8:12-13), or to be holy (Heb 11:6) and righteous (James 2:24), all of which are said, in one way or another, to be necessary in order to gain eternal life. We are saved by faith, via faith, through and on the basis of faith, not simply because we have faith as if that belief, by itself, should save us.

He’s the way; we must believe in and so follow Him, doing what He says. His way is the way of love and He’s the source of that love and faith places us in relationship with that source. And this is why John can tell us that if we claim to have fellowship with Him but do not love, do not walk in the light, do not act righteously, then we don't even know Him; that fellowship will produce that love as long as we remain in it, remain in Him, and that love acts, or works, for good, by its nature.

Last edited:
Reactions: AubreyM
Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Currently, the nation of Israel has fallen, so if you are a Jew now, you are to be saved thru the Body of Christ, like all of us gentiles (Romans 11:11)
The Vatican said recently that "it is a mystery how the Jews are saved", implying that some, perhaps even many, will be saved without recognizing Jesus as the Messiah. I have pondered this matter at some length. Is it perhaps possible, that the terrible loss of about 6 million Jews in the Holocaust, somehow caused the Jewish people to share in some mysterious way with Jesus' sacrifice on the cross and that maybe this will become the vehicle for their salvation?

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Someone commented on the post on another site;

They mentioned the holy spirit drawing: Romans 10:10

This is the response to this comment:

Would agree that when it comes to looking at the word 'Faith'.

The greek word of faith is pistis -> It is a persuasion from God by His truthful promises that he speaks in and through the Lord Jesus Christ -> About eternal life, giving the holy spirit, resurrection from the dead, prayer life with God, Forgiveness, being saved to the kingdom of God/Heaven, and all of these promises are found in and through the Gospel.

So in a sense, what happens when you hear about the Gospel, you realize that Jesus Christ is the Lord, you can have a relationship with God, and the Lord Jesus Christ through faith, you can have peace with God being justified by believing on the Lord Jesus Christ a person is brought into a place of undeserved privilege.

If a person has been presented the Gospel they would be able to see these things, and if they make a choice to believe in their heart that Jesus Christ is the Lord and God raised him from the dead, they shall be saved in and through all the promises God has laid out and to the Kingdom of God.

Nothing extra, just simply belief on the Lord Jesus Christ and believing in their heart God raised him from the dead.

Only encouragement would be for people to learn about the Lord Jesus Christ and God.​

Thank you for your comment.

Thank you for your comment also NomnomPizza.

Faith and belief is part of salvation.

You have to choose to receive Jesus to become a child of God - John 1:12.

You must choose to repent of your sins to be converted and have your sins forgiven - Acts 3:19 and Acts 20:21.
And remember Jesus said He came to call sinners unto repentance, and said unless you repent you will perish.

You must choose to confess with your mouth the faith in your heart that Jesus is Lord and that God raised Him from the dead AND call upon the name of the Lord, to be saved - Romans 10:8-13.

Belief is step one - there are many people who never take the other steps to actually be saved, and born again.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I believe you died in my place for my sins and rose from the dead. Please come into my heart, forgive my sins, save my soul, and make me a new creation. In your name, amen.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Vatican said recently that "it is a mystery how the Jews are saved", implying that some, perhaps even many, will be saved without recognizing Jesus as the Messiah. I have pondered this matter at some length. Is it perhaps possible, that the terrible loss of about 6 million Jews in the Holocaust, somehow caused the Jewish people to share in some mysterious way with Jesus' sacrifice on the cross and that maybe this will become the vehicle for their salvation?

No.

Paul made it clear that in the new covenant the only way for his fellow Jews to be saved is through faith in Messiah Jesus/Yeshua.

Rom 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

Rom 10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

Rom 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

• Agree
Reactions: adderbolt
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,137.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Of course, WW2 was after Israel has fallen.

So as I said, once the nation has fallen, Jews don't need to recognize Jesus as the Messiah to get into the Body of Christ under Paul's gospel.

Like all of us, they have to believe that Christ died for your sins and rose from the dead for your justification (1 Cor 15:1-4)

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you think the Holy Bible is “all true,” why don’t you offer animal sacrifices to YHWH as required in the Bible?

There are 26 sins that require the death penalty in the five books of the Bible law called the Torah in Hebrew. List of capital crimes in the Torah - Wikipedia

Not even Israel holds them to be true. They eliminated the death penalty. Their murder rate is lower than that of “Christian” America. They live longer than Americans.

Because as the Bible says, animal sacrifice in the old covenant was a foreshadow of Jesus becoming the sacrificial lamb for us, and by that once- for-all- time sacrifice of Himself, becoming the savior for the world.

The old covenant is ended, being replaced by a better covenant founded on better promises.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because as the Bible says, animal sacrifice in the old covenant was a foreshadow of Jesus becoming the sacrificial lamb for us, and by that once- for-all- time sacrifice of Himself, becoming the savior for the world.

The old covenant is ended, being replaced by a better covenant founded on better promises.
Jesus came in order for the Holy Spirit to be introduced on the day of Pentecost to those who believed in Jesus. Jesus saves.

Upvote 0

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The thief on the cross was not baptized, etc.
gray area, he did not have The opportunity, other Christian's do. the thief on the cross symbolizes the difference between people despite what they know in their hearts to be True.

• Agree
Reactions: fhansen
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you think the Holy Bible is “all true,” why don’t you offer animal sacrifices to YHWH as required in the Bible?

There are 26 sins that require the death penalty in the five books of the Bible law called the Torah in Hebrew. List of capital crimes in the Torah - Wikipedia

Not even Israel holds them to be true. They eliminated the death penalty. Their murder rate is lower than that of “Christian” America. They live longer than Americans.

What did Jesus Say, I require mercy, not sacrifice? He require's a change, not continual sacrifice.

Second, payment for sins was The Finished Work of CHRIST, GOD.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,137.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What did Jesus Say, I require mercy, not sacrifice? He require's a change, not continual sacrifice.

Second, payment for sins was The Finished Work of CHRIST, GOD.

I think his point was that there were truths in the past that are no longer truths now, both are in Scripture.

So you have to rightly divide the word of truth.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus came in order for the Holy Spirit to be introduced on the day of Pentecost to those who believed in Jesus. Jesus saves.

Jesus Himself said, I came to give my life a ransom for many. Matthew 20:28.

He did that by sacrificing Himself for us. Hebrews 9:26 and 10:12.

He also came to call sinners unto repentance. Matthew 9:13.

Shalom.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course, WW2 was after Israel has fallen.

So as I said, once the nation has fallen, Jews don't need to recognize Jesus as the Messiah to get into the Body of Christ under Paul's gospel.

Like all of us, they have to believe that Christ died for your sins and rose from the dead for your justification (1 Cor 15:1-4)

Except Jesus Christ means Jesus Messiah, so to believe in Christ is to believe He is the messiah.

And you just said we must believe that Messiah died for our sins...

Shalom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,137.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except Jesus Christ means Jesus Messiah, so to believe in Christ is to believe He is the messiah.

And you just said we must believe that Messiah died for our sins...

Shalom.

The point I was saying is that Jews and gentiles in WW2 are saved the same way, by 1 Cor 15:1-4, instead of thru John 20:31

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Himself said, I came to give my life a ransom for many. Matthew 20:28.

He did that by sacrificing Himself for us. Hebrews 9:26 and 10:12.

He also came to call sinners unto repentance. Matthew 9:13.

Shalom.
Matthew 16:24 Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone desires to come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, and whoever will lose his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his life? Or what will a man give in exchange for his life? 27 For the Son of Man will come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will render to everyone according to his deeds.
World English Bible - Public domain

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 16:24 Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone desires to come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, and whoever will lose his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his life? Or what will a man give in exchange for his life? 27 For the Son of Man will come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will render to everyone according to his deeds.
World English Bible - Public domain

So what’s your point?

You think that negates all the passages that state you must have faith in, and receive Jesus, or be damned?

We have to choose to receive (verb, and action word) Jesus to become a child of God, John 1:12, which becomes part of our DEEDS we are judged on.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So what’s your point?

You think that negates all the passages that state you must have faith in, and receive Jesus, or be damned?

We have to choose to receive (verb, and action word) Jesus to become a child of God, John 1:12, which becomes part of our DEEDS we are judged on.
I do not condemn you. If you are one of Christ’s workers, you risk persecution, for you may be called to testify against someone, or to go against an unjust regulation.

Jesus was speaking to his disciples in private in John chapter 15:
John 15:20 Remember the word that I said to you: 'A servant is not greater than his lord.' If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things will they do to you for my name's sake, because they don't know him who sent me.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello adderbolt,

So your premise is that people are saved by Gods divine choice, and no one in their life has the ability to seek God?

If this is what you are saying, why is it from your perspective that no one can go and look for God at anytime in their life?
Below we see mans natural condition from birth and that no one seeks God. Man is born spiritually dead in his trespasses and sins as per Ephesians 2:1,5 and Colossians 2:13. So he us in need of life (regeneration) as per Ezekiel 36-37 where God places a new heart in man and gives the dead man life.

1)man has a heart that is deceitful (Jeremiah 17:9)
2)man is full of evil (Mark 7:21-23)
3)man loves darkness (John 3:19),
4)man does not seek for God (Romans 3:10-12),
5)man is ungodly (Romans 5:6),
6)man is a sinner (Romans 5:12)
7)man is dead in his sins (Ephesians 2:1),
8)man by nature a child of wrath (Ephesians 2:3),
9)man cannot understand spiritual things (1 Corinthians 2:14),
10)man is a slave of sin (Romans 6:16-20)
11)man is sinful in the womb (Psalms 51:5)
12)man is conceived in sin(Psalms 51:5)
13)man cannot do good(Romans 3:10)
14) man hates God (Romans 8:7)
15)man loves sin (1 John 3:19)
16)man heart is corrupt and his thoughts are and evil continually (Genesis 6:5)

hope this helps!!!

Upvote 0