What do you think are some reasons certain Christians refuse to read certain parts of the Bible?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do you think are some reasons certain Christians refuse to read certain parts of the Bible?

cos its challenging to ones life, if dont read it then dont have to be challenged by it to change.

I also believe that sometimes when a person says they read certain parts of the Bible, they are just mindlessly reading those words (kind of like when a school student reads words in a classroom just to show that you can read the words on the page), and they are not considering and thinking or reflecting on what those words actually mean in what they plainly say. Others may read the words in the Bible and they have chosen not to believe what a particular word plainly says. So they are not really reading what it says on the page, but they have chosen to make their own Bible. Some will flat out refuse to read certain parts of the Bible because they are uncomfortable for them to read (Which is usually the violent parts of the OT).

• Agree
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe the gospel is believing in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ on our behalf for salvation (See: 1 Corinthians 15:1-4).

But I also believe we must obey the gospel, too. For the Bible warns that there is flaming fire of vengeance who do not obey the gospel.

"In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:" (2 Thessalonians 1:8).

What is obeying the gospel? Obeying the gospel can be found in Romans 6.

3 "Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin." (Romans 6:3-7).

"And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." (Galatians 5:24).

I believe that all of us believers must heed this warning in Proverbs 22 (Which includes myself).

"A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished." (Proverbs 22:3).

We can have an assurance in knowing the Lord if we find that we are keeping His commandments (See: 1 John 2:3). Jesus said, "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love." (John 15:10). John says that the person who says they know the Lord and does not keep his commandments is a liar and the truth is not in them (1 John 2:4).

But just believing in Jesus is not enough. For even the demons believe and tremble (James 2:19). We have to work out our salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12). For without holiness, no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14).

The context of John 10:28, is verse 27, and it lays forth the condition in being the kind of sheep that cannot be plucked or snatched out of His hand.

27 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." (John 10:27-28).

For the kind of sheep that cannot be plucked out of His hand in verse 28 are the sheeps that FOLLOW Jesus (verse 27). These are not lazy sheep or sheep who do not follow Jesus by saying that His commands are optional as a part of the faith or that they are impossible to keep.

46 "While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother." (Matthew 12:46-50).

I only believe that works of faith play a part in the salvation process because that is what the Bible plainly teaches. I would not believe it, if the Bible did not teach it. But it clearly does (See again Post #144 for 30 points in Scripture that clearly show that we need works as a part of the salvation process). If you disagree that these verses teach such a thing, then take at least 5 of them and explain how they work from your perspective.

Not all commands are tied with spiritual death if one were to break them in the New Testament or New Covenant. There is no warning that says that if we do not operate by the miracles of the spiritual gifts we are not saved. But there are warnings that if a believer does not help the poor, everlasting punishment is the result (See Matthew 25:31-46 cf. with Luke 10:25-37). We also have to be nice, too. For the Bible says that we are to follow after peace, .... of which without no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14). Besides, I believe by a 99% chance that the miraculous gifts have ceased and that they were only for the early church apostles. See this thread here:

Cessationism: Tongues, Prophecy, and the Gift of Miracles Have Ceased.

Jesus said if you love me, keep my commandments (John 14:15).
Paul said if any man loves not the Lord, let him be accursed (1 Corinthians 16:22).
Jesus said not everyone who says unto me, "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but he that does the will of the Father (See: Matthew 7:21). The will of GOD (or the will of the Father) is our sanctification or to be holy (See: 1 Thessalonians 4:3) (KJV - "sanctification") (NLT - "to be holy").

The resurrection of life is not associated with the words "belief alone" but is is associated with "they that have done good."

"And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation." (John 5:29).

Jesus said to certain believers who did wonderful works in his name to depart from Him because they also worked sin or iniquity (See: Matthew 7:23). For Jesus relates the person who does not do what He says with that of a fool who built his house upon the sand, and when a storm had come, great was the fall of that house (Matthew 7:26-27).

Again, 1 John 1:7 says that if we walk in the light, the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin. It does not say he that believes only.

Then why are we told to work out our salvation with fear and trembling? (See again: Philippians 2:12).
Why do you think James says the following words? "Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him." (See: James 1:12).

To learn from Jesus is to follow Him. We are to deny ourselves, pick up our cross, and follow Him. This is a part of eternal life because Jesus said he that will seek to save his life shall lose it, and he that will lose his life for my sake, will save it (Matthew 16:24-25).

I do not believe in luck, but thanks for the kind regards.
Anyways, may all manner of good things be upon you in Jesus Christ, friend;
And may you please be well (even if we disagree strongly on the topic of salvation).
Would you mind mind telling me how long you've been a Christian and how is your relationship with God?

Nothing personal, Its just I used to think the way you do, but the closer I've come to God and His reality He changed the way I see Him and the way I see myself as a daughter and His ambassador. Someone asked once in this forum, "If you meet Jesus for the first time, what would you do/say" I said I would say, "Hey!" Because that's how I greet my friends. We can get to know Him.

What I've been trying to explain is that, eventually, you get a place with God that you understand His heart for other people and yourself, and that love comes out naturally without having to think "I must do this". I never love to obtain something, I love because He filled my cup by giving me the revelation of His grace and sacrifice; how He died in my place and how He truly loves me and His creation.

When I am wrong, the first one who comes to talk to me is God himself and He corrects me with so much grace. So, I decided to meditate on what you've been writing because maybe I was wrong. And what you say its true, I mean, it is Biblical, but you are still in "potty training" like Bob Hamp calls it. Eventually you'll get it and love instantaneously because you become love; we are to become like Jesus; we are the light and salt of the world; we are to be a manifestation of Him. But that only happens when we intimately know Him. We can't make ourselves holy, only He can. Holy means Jesus in us.

I usually get a "test" or a demonstration of something when I meditate. Out of the blue two unknown people appeared at my door. That NEVER happens. I started a conversation and I notice something was needed, without anyone telling me about it and I just supplied a need. The person was amazed because I just loved them without strings attached. Then someone else heard about it and he couldn't understand why I did what I did, for a stranger, knowing I might never see what I gave.

I just knew it was the right thing to do and I was able to supply the need. I am fully aware I can't give you something I don't have. I didn't search the database of my heart about God's commandments about what to do nor I even asked God if I should do it. I simply knew thats what He would've done. Him and I are one.

That's what He is looking for, not sacrifice. Anyway, just letting you know in case you want to search your heart and talk to God to make sure you are doing "works of faith" because you are saved, accepted and loved, not to become saved, accepted and loved. He already lives us, He wants us to become aware of it (that is, o course, if you believe and understand Jesus Christ is the only way, our salvation, our hope). And to let you know He still speaks and cares deeply for people.

Sometimes people with the gift of prophecy, first borns and dominant people have a hard time understanding my point of view because they are more analytical and for them life is more about facts but the Spirit doesn't work like that. I was very lineal and He had to break many strongholds to soften my heart because I used to think like you, so I am talking from experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would you mind mind telling me how long you've been a Christian

Well, I accepted Christ in 1992 by way a comic book tract called "This Was Your Life." I used to be an atheist, and after accepting Christ, I had a love, joy, and peace like I had never known before. I was on fire for the Lord in the beginning years. In time I became more focused on the ways of the world (although I always believed Jesus was my Savior and I thought it was important to share my faith). In 2010, I rededicated my life to the Lord in following Him. After this time, I started to seriously study God's Word like never before and I learned things that went contrary against certain popular views in Christianity (like Eternal Security, and Belief Alone-ism).

You said:
...and how is your relationship with God?

I will let GOD to determine that.
We can have an assurance in knowing the Lord if we find that we are keeping His commandments (1 John 2:3). The person who says they know the Lord and they do not keep his commandments, they are a liar and the truth is not in them (1 John 2:4).

In fact, I keep repeating these points in Scripture to you, but you really are not offering much to say on them from your perspective.

You said:
Nothing personal, Its just I used to think the way you do, but the closer I've come to God and His reality He changed the way I see Him and the way I see myself as a daughter and His ambassador. Someone asked once in this forum, "If you meet Jesus for the first time, what would you do/say" I said I would say, "Hey!" Because that's how I greet my friends. We can get to know Him.

Jesus says,
"You are My friends if you do whatever I command you." (John 15:14).

You said:
What I've been trying to explain is that, eventually, you get a place with God that you understand His heart for other people and yourself, and that love comes out naturally without having to think "I must do this". I never love to obtain something, I love because He filled my cup by giving me the revelation of His grace and sacrifice; how He died in my place and how He truly loves me and His creation.

Work out your salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).
1 John 1:7 says if we walk in the light as He is in the light, the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses from all sin. Walking in the light is loving your brother according to 1 John 2:9-11.

You said:
When I am wrong, the first one who comes to talk to me is God himself and He corrects me with so much grace.

God's grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should righteously and godly in this present world (See Titus 2:11-12).

So, I decided to meditate on what you've been writing because maybe I was wrong. And what you say its true, I mean, it is Biblical,

Meditating is not enough. You need to actually explain the verses I put forth to you and how they work in your belief. If you cannot do that, then your belief cannot stand, and what I am saying with the Scriptures needs to be reconsidered in careful prayer, and by looking at the context, and by looking at cross references, etc.

but you are still in "potty training" like Bob Hamp calls it. Eventually you'll get it and love instantaneously because you become love; we are to become like Jesus; we are the light and salt of the world; we are to be a manifestation of Him. But that only happens when we intimately know Him. We can't make ourselves holy, only He can. Holy means Jesus in us.

Nowhere am I proposing we can be holy without Jesus. I believe SANCTIFICATION is the 2nd work of GOD done through the believer. This is a work of GOD and not man. The believer cooperates with the good work that the LORD wants to do through them. Apart from the Lord we can do nothing (John 15:5). But we are commanded to live holy. It is not some automatic thing in just abiding in Christ always. Paul says, "...let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of GOD." (2 Corinthians 7:1). This is Paul speaking and not me. So the choice is up to you on whether or not you believe what Paul says in this verse here.

You said:
I usually get a "test" or a demonstration of something when I meditate. Out of the blue two unknown people appeared at my door. That NEVER happens. I started a conversation and I notice something was needed, without anyone telling me about it and I just supplied a need. The person was amazed because I just loved them without strings attached. Then someone else heard about it and he couldn't understand why I did what I did, for a stranger, knowing I might never see what I gave.

I just knew it was the right thing to do and I was able to supply the need. I am fully aware I can't give you something I don't have. I didn't search the database of my heart about God's commandments about what to do nor I even asked God if I should do it. I simply knew thats what He would've done. Him and I are one.

While we can most certainly love others in situations we are not expecting, that does not release us from having to obey the approximate 450 explicit commands in the New Testament. For why is the Bible filled with all of these commands? Is it just useless filler information that serves no real purpose? Do you just discard these commands? Jesus said if we do not receive His words, those very words can judge us on the last day (See John 12:48).

You said:
That's what He is looking for, not sacrifice.

When Scripture says that GOD desires mercy and not sacrifice, this is talking about how GOD wanted the Israelite to have mercy on others and not to just offer sacrifices alone mindlessly (with no real thought or love behind them). They were just going through the motions and they really were not having the love of GOD in their lives.

You said:
Anyway, just letting you know in case you want to search your heart and talk to God to make sure you are doing "works of faith" because you are saved, accepted and loved, not to become saved, accepted and loved. He already lives us, He wants us to become aware of it (that is, o course, if you believe and understand Jesus Christ is the only way, our salvation, our hope). And to let you know He still speaks and cares deeply for people.

Jesus said, "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned." (John 15:5-6).

You said:
Sometimes people with the gift of prophecy, first borns and dominant people have a hard time understanding my point of view because they are more analytical and for them life is more about facts but the Spirit doesn't work like that. I was very lineal and He had to break many strongholds to soften my heart because I used to think like you, so I am talking from experience.

You mean you used to take the Bible more literally? I am not sure what you are getting at here. For me, GOD is not the author of confusion. He means what He says within His Word, and it would be illogical for GOD to give us a ton of commands in the New Testament just so that we can ignore them. But you are free to believe as you wish (of course). I believe what I do because of many years of careful study of God's Word.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I accepted Christ in 1992 by way a comic book tract called "This Was Your Life." I used to be an atheist, and after accepting Christ, I had a love, joy, and peace like I had never known before. I was on fire for the Lord in the beginning years. In time I became more focused on the ways of the world (although I always believed Jesus was my Savior and I thought it was important to share my faith). In 2010, I rededicated my life to the Lord in following Him. After this time, I started to seriously study God's Word like never before and I learned things that went contrary against certain popular views in Christianity (like Eternal Security, and Belief Alone-ism).

We can have an assurance in knowing the Lord if we find that we are keeping His commandments (1 John 2:3). The person who says they know the Lord and they do not keep his commandments, they are a liar and the truth is not in them (1 John 2:4).

In fact, I keep repeating these points in Scripture to you, but you really are not offering much to say on them from your perspective.

Jesus says,

1 John 1:7 says if we walk in the light as He is in the light, the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses from all sin. Walking in the light is loving your brother according to 1 John 2:9-11.

God's grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should righteously and godly in this present world (See Titus 2:11-12).

Meditating is not enough. You need to actually explain the verses I put forth to you and how they work in your belief. If you cannot do that, then your belief cannot stand, and what I am saying with the Scriptures needs to be reconsidered in careful prayer, and by looking at the context, and by looking at cross references, etc.

Nowhere am I proposing we can be holy without Jesus. I believe SANCTIFICATION is the 2nd work of GOD done through the believer. This is a work of GOD and not man. The believer cooperates with the good work that the LORD wants to do through them. Apart from the Lord we can do nothing (John 15:5). But we are commanded to live holy. It is not some automatic thing in just abiding in Christ always. Paul says, "...let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of GOD." (2 Corinthians 7:1). This is Paul speaking and not me. So the choice is up to you on whether or not you believe what Paul says in this verse here.

While we can most certainly love others in situations we are not expecting, that does not release us from having to obey the approximate 450 explicit commands in the New Testament. For why is the Bible filled with all of these commands? Is it just useless filler information that serves no real purpose? Do you just discard these commands? Jesus said if we do not receive His words, those very words can judge us on the last day (See John 12:48).

When Scripture says that GOD desires mercy and not sacrifice, this is talking about how GOD wanted the Israelite to have mercy on others and not to just offer sacrifices alone mindlessly (with no real thought or love behind them). They were just going through the motions and they really were not having the love of GOD in their lives.

Jesus said, "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned." (John 15:5-6).

You mean you used to take the Bible more literally? I am not sure what you are getting at here. For me, GOD is not the author of confusion. He means what He says within His Word, and it would be illogical for GOD to give us a ton of commands in the New Testament just so that we can ignore them. But you are free to believe as you wish (of course). I believe what I do because of many years of careful study of God's Word.

The way I understand what you say is that I am responsible to save myself, and even though I understand it is a way of understanding what the Bible says, eventually we are suppose to get into a place of rest where we literally live as sons because we truly believe He is our Father. We rest in His promises. He is the first one in my life and my decisions and life are based on Him (who He is, what He says or what He taught me).

From what you say I keep getting a distant God, but to me He is real and living in me.

I used to be an atheist as well. I was born in a Christian home, but I lived in fear, so I became afraid of God, and I became afraid of how I saw Him and how others showed Him to me. I was raised with, "If you don't behave God will punish you and go to hell". There were a lot of contradictions. Everything I didn't do was because I feared Him not because that wasn't my identity as His creation (because I wasn't a daughter yet). So I said I didn't believe in Him and how I didn't need Him to be my Savior. Still I felt He was calling me. He used to wake me up at 3:00 am, 3:30 am and 3:33 am for weeks straight. I was constantly warned about things to protect me. I started talking to "whatever was out there". I started reading the Bible searching for answers, in case He was the one talking. Then one day I was driving and I was thinking about how the world is full of evil and a voice said, "You believe in evil, yet you don't believe in good." A few months later I felt He told me I should move, so I did. I had like 2 months to move, arrived here with two suitcases and two boxes. People still ask me how I did that, because I didn't think it twice. I just trust Him.

Its been a wild and exhausting ride. He showed me who I am, He placed people in my life to mold me and show me who I am until I grew and learned how to hear Him and have a relationship with Him. He showed me He truly loves His people, He truly loves His creation, but our eyes are so clouded by the lies of the world that we miss the whole point of the Bible; God still speaks and He wants to have a relationship with His kids. He is not the author of evil, He keeps trying to warn us. He is not the one who wants to hurt us, we are just missing His voice over and over.

I don't do evil, I don't have a desire to do it, but nothing, nothing I do is because I have to, but because I am a daughter, that's my identity, and if is not in my Father's heart, I don't want it in mine. We are to be as Jesus. We are to fill the earth with Heaven. Eventually you start sensing why God said the things He said, He doesn't want us not do them, but to desire not to do them because we understand who we are in Christ.

I am telling you all of these things because for years I missed the point. The problem is not the individual acts of wickedness and not keeping His commandments, but the root problem; separation from God; we don't know Him, His heart. When I have a problem or a temptation, the first thing I do is go to Him and expose it. I even take Him into the temptation and ask Him for His view, because I used to beat myself up thinking I was sinning when in most cases its the way the soul letting you know there's something where I need healing and restoration.

What I mean is, there's a point of rest and the only way you can get there is by accepting He loves you, not because the commandments you keep, that's supposed to happen naturally when you know Him and study His word, but because He truly loves you. Believing in Jesus is accepting His love. The devil wants us to believe God hated us, but His love story started before time; Jesus was the Lamb to be slain before the foundation of the world was laid. God even had Paul ready before time. God knew we were going to be separated so He created a plan. He gave it to the Jews, but God plan was for the Jews to evangelize the gentiles, but they were proud. We are living in the past in God's mind. So I live from my seat in Heavenly places (God's present, my present).

When you read the Bible, look for the meaning of why He said what He said, His heart behind it.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Jesus says,

“Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭13:8-10‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Jesus says,

“This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith. As the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.””
‭‭Romans‬ ‭1:17‬, ‭NLT‬‬

Upvote 0