May 30, 2016
Pa
✟15,158.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I absolutely love taking yoga classes. It helps sweat out toxins in the body, creates a more flexible body, and clears the mind. I guess the only thing that sometimes worries me is how it is a middle eastern practice. I make sure when they talk about the third eye not to join in and I will not attend any class that does chanting. In the beginning of class they tell you to set an intention for the class. I always make sure that it is clear my intention if for God and God only. I do not want to invite any kind of demon into my practice. Am I over thinking or does anyone else agree or haven't tried a yoga class for these reasons? It would be interesting to hear your responses!!

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I love yoga, but to really improve flexibility, which I struggle with, and prevent running injuries, I mix in a lot of active isolated stretching. I learned these techniques in a class I had the chance to take when visiting a large city, and have been following up with a DVD.
I do that about 4 times a week, yoga about twice a week, with a bit of dance and mobility work sprinkled in to supplement my running and skiing.

Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I absolutely love taking yoga classes. It helps sweat out toxins in the body, creates a more flexible body, and clears the mind. I guess the only thing that sometimes worries me is how it is a middle eastern practice. I make sure when they talk about the third eye not to join in and I will not attend any class that does chanting. In the beginning of class they tell you to set an intention for the class. I always make sure that it is clear my intention if for God and God only. I do not want to invite any kind of demon into my practice. Am I over thinking or does anyone else agree or haven't tried a yoga class for these reasons? It would be interesting to hear your responses!!

Enjoy the exercise, ignore and avoid the false religious philosophy behind it.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="PeaceLoveFaith, post: 69883209, member: 387698" I absolutely love taking yoga classes. It helps sweat out toxins in the body, creates a more flexible body, and clears the mind. I guess the only thing that sometimes worries me is how it is a middle eastern practice. I make sure when they talk about the third eye not to join in and I will not attend any class that does chanting. In the beginning of class they tell you to set an intention for the class. I always make sure that it is clear my intention if for God and God only. I do not want to invite any kind of demon into my practice. Am I over thinking or does anyone else agree or haven't tried a yoga class for these reasons? It would be interesting to hear your responses!! QUOTE
..to me that looks like trying to pick the rat droppings out of a large pizza before eating it, and then trying to enjoy it.

(Since the source of 'yoga' is by nature defiled and forbidden)

Realizing God never gave instructions on learning something evil from the heathen but "clean it up" so it's not evil anymore.

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Flexibility is vital. I think yoga used as a physical practice is fine. As a spiritual practice, nope. I don't happen to do yoga, I just stretch a lot. And when I got too busy and skimped on my stretch routine--yep, you guessed it--injuries in numbers more than I dare to count. Keep stretching, gang!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

The girl who asked the q wrote "I do not want to invite any kind of demon into my practice." I'd never heard of anybody being worried about demons while doing yoga b4 & have never had those kinds of concerns. I think it's totally OK for Christians to do yoga if they want.

Upvote 0