USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When I hear the word I think of the Last Supper and baptism.

But that’s why I asked, because I know there are a lot of views of what that word means to people.
Other things considered "sacraments" are: marriage, confirmation/chrismation, holy orders, confession and holy unction.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Two, although it doesn't offend me terribly if people sometimes use the word to refer to other ceremonies that have been solemnized by the church and which are not in the same category as the "Sacraments of the Gospel."

Two for Lutherans as well

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Define sacraments.

Instituted by Christ, a means of grace, associated with an external element...specifically:

Baptism...water

Communion...bread

Luther at times slipped in confession/absolution as a sacrament, but it has no associated external element, and does not qualify.

Lutherans, do not argue about the # of sacraments other than baptism and communion. It falls within the "neither forbidden or commanded" category.

However, one must be careful, so as not to throw a stumbling block in front of someone by demanding things not expounded on in scripture.

My personnel view of the sacraments is that Christ instituted them, and he said to do them, so I was baptized, and I take communion, simple as far as I'm concerned.

The sacraments can be very divisive if not properly taught, and administered, which is why some churches rarely celebrate communion...IMHO...anyway.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟368,783.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Some denominations do not have any sacramental practice at all.

That is quite true. The Society of Friends (aka Quakers), for example, primarily because it was illegal for any church other than the Church of England to have sacraments. That also included the RCC, although they went underground and had secret masses, which greatly annoyed the CoE.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you like them, do you oppose them? Share your opinion.
Some turn the Church and sacraments into a "salvation vending machine" for a self-salvation scheme that is entirely foreign to salvation by grace as taught in the bible.

To the more biblically minded, they are symbols of grace used for memorials of grace.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,343.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We do; but we do not view them as sacraments. We do many good and edifying, even graced, things which do not qualify as sacraments.
Hi Paidiske, along with baptism and the Eucharist, most Lutherans also consider Confession and Absolution a sacrament; an arguement can also be made for Holy Orders, as it is through the Clergy that the sacraments are administered, and thus, esential in the delivery of grace. The Small Catechism says two. It is more of a matter of definition. Two, three, or four, the rest can be considered "sacramental acts". Most Lutheran theologians would define a sacrament as 1, being instituted by Jesus Christ; 2, contains physical elements (water, bread, wine, laying on of hands); 3, being a means of grace whereby sins are directly forgiven by God throgh their administration.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,343.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Some turn the Church and sacraments into a "salvation vending machine" for a self-salvation scheme that is entirely foreign to salvation by grace as taught in the bible.

To the more biblically minded, they are symbols of grace used for memorials of grace.
They would be wrong.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,343.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Instituted by Christ, a means of grace, associated with an external element...specifically:

Baptism...water

Communion...bread

Luther at times slipped in confession/absolution as a sacrament, but it has no associated external element, and does not qualify.

Lutherans, do not argue about the # of sacraments other than baptism and communion. It falls within the "neither forbidden or commanded" category.

However, one must be careful, so as not to throw a stumbling block in front of someone by demanding things not expounded on in scripture.

My personnel view of the sacraments is that Christ instituted them, and he said to do them, so I was baptized, and I take communion, simple as far as I'm concerned.

The sacraments can be very divisive if not properly taught, and administered, which is why some churches rarely celebrate communion...IMHO...anyway.
Confession is listed as a sacrament in the Augsburg Confession. External element is the laying on of hands in private confession. This part is often absent in the Catholic Church.

• Informative
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Paidiske, along with baptism and the Eucharist, most Lutherans also consider Confession and Absolution a sacrament; an arguement can also be made for Holy Orders, as it is through the Clergy that the sacraments are administered, and thus, esential in the delivery of grace. The Small Catechism says two. It is more of a matter of definition. Two, three, or four, the rest can be considered "sacramental acts". Most Lutheran theologians would define a sacrament as 1, being instituted by Jesus Christ; 2, contains physical elements (water, bread, wine, laying on of hands); 3, being a means of grace whereby sins are directly forgiven by God throgh their administration.
You need to be saved by grace before taking the sacraments. Many are sick and die not being worthy of them.

“For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come. Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.” 1 Corinthians 11:23–29 (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Recently "converted" to the Lutheran position on sacraments, as a non-sacramental before (non denominational)

I think most non denoms have adopted the Zwinglian view of memorialism, or some sort-of watered down Calvinist view.

At any rate, I like them and no longer oppose them. In fact, I think they're quite key for sanctification now.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟368,783.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Recently "converted" to the Lutheran position on sacraments, as a non-sacramental before (non denominational)

I think most non denoms have adopted the Zwinglian view of memorialism, or some sort-of watered down Calvinist view.

At any rate, I like them and no longer oppose them. In fact, I think they're quite key for sanctification now.

You are hardly alone. However, I remain a firm and committed Zwinglian.

Reactions: HatGuy
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

In Lutheranism we only recognize three Sacraments, this is in part because of how we define what a Sacrament is. In order for something to be a Sacrament:

1) It is God's word connected to something material, so for example the water of Baptism, the bread and wine of the Eucharist, or the spoken words of Absolution.

2) It must have been instituted by Jesus Christ for the whole Church.

EDIT: I had a much lengthier, but messier post. I've decided to shorten it considerably.

Under this criteria the Lutheran Confessions identify only two or three Sacraments: Baptism, the Eucharist, and Confession/Absolution.

Word and Sacrament are God's Means of Grace--how God has chosen to be active and present in the Church. God comes down to us through Word and Sacrament, meeting us, and bringing to us every good which He has promised in all these things.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Disagree, they have real grace given by God to us

• Winner
Reactions: CleanSoul
Upvote 0