Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What do you think about prayers in your religion?

When I pray I am often confronted by issues like:
(1) I don't know what is best for me and I know even less about what is best for the universe. Should I actually ask God for what I want?
(2) Does God actually respond to prayer? Maybe God as the master engineer has the best compromise plan to benefit the entire universe, so is there any wiggle room for change in that plan?
(3) Why should I pray if God already knows what I intend to say in prayer?
(4) If a prayer is granted does God actually alter his plan according to my request or is it simply that my wishes coincided with God's master plan?
(5) Shouldn't God help people in need regardless of whether anybody asks for help?

There are lots of questions like these that I probably have never even considered. So I wonder what others think.

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

(1) I don't know what is best for me and I know even less about what is best for the universe. Should I actually ask God for what I want?
(2) Does God actually respond to prayer? Maybe God as the master engineer has the best compromise plan to benefit the entire universe, so is there any wiggle room for change in that plan?
(4) If a prayer is granted does God actually alter his plan according to my request or is it simply that my wishes coincided with God's master plan?
(5) Shouldn't God help people in need regardless of whether anybody asks for help?

There are lots of questions like these that I probably have never even considered. So I wonder what others think.
(1) I suggest asking God to help you know what is best for yourself and the universe. Although doing God's will is a good start.
(2) God responds to prayer in the Bible
(3) We're instructed to pray. Jesus prayed. The Psalms are prayerful. These are examples to us.
(4) I don't know but God does seemingly change his mind in the Bible. The Book of Jonah is an example.
(5) God does help people. Also I think questioning God is unhelpful. Either you accept God's authority or you don't. If you start to think of yourself in any way superior to God you're on the wrong track.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Maybe you need to say it for your own sake so when you get an answer you don't attribute it to coincidence, but to God? So you know he hears you and is mindful of you?

Or maybe he just loves you and longs to hear your voice.

Thou that dwellest in the gardens, the companions hearken to thy voice: cause me to hear it. Songs 8:13

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
(1) I suggest asking God to help you know what is best for yourself and the universe. Although doing God's will is a good start.
(2) God responds to prayer in the Bible
(3) We're instructed to pray. Jesus prayed. The Psalms are prayerful. These are examples to us.
(4) I don't know but God does seemingly change his mind in the Bible. The Book of Jonah is an example.
(5) God does help people. Also I think questioning God is unhelpful. Either you accept God's authority or you don't. If you start to think of yourself in any way superior to God you're on the wrong track.

Here is a thought: Maybe God changes his master plan in response to us changing our attitude rather than in response to us asking for something. If humans really do have a choice and freewill then part of that is changing our attitude. If I pray fervently for King Hezekiah to recover from his illness ( Hezekiah - Wikipedia ) perhaps I am also changing my attitude and that might possibly require God to adjust his master plan including possibly granting King Hezekiah another 15 years of life.

Reactions: Rachel20
Upvote 0

WayfaringCoyote

Apr 14, 2020
United States
✟28,037.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Well for starters, there's a reason why we say "Your will be done" when praying. That means we're trusting that God's knows best, and that if what we want is according to God's will, then it'll be done.

Secondly, I don't know how God's plan works on a cosmic, existential scale, but I don't think him answering or not answering a prayer somehow requires His plan to be changed in any way. I'm guessing that when a prayer is granted, then it coincides with His will, and therefore doesn't go against His plan.

As for the question of "why should I pray if God already knows what I intend to say",
well, prayer is how us humans communicate with God. Therefore, even if God knows what we're going to say, we should still say it, because if we don't then we aren't communicating with God.

And as for the question of "shouldn't God just help people in need regardless of whether they ask", I think He does, 'cause there's a lot of things that go on "behind the spiritual scenes" that we aren't even aware of. However, God also gives people freedom of choice, so He allows people to choose whether they want Him to intervene in their lives, hence prayer and faith.

Upvote 0

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The Lords prayer is what Jesus said we should pray in the NT.

Are you familiar with it as well as Psalm 23?

These prayers may provide insight...

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The Lords prayer is what Jesus said we should pray in the NT.

Are you familiar with it as well as Psalm 23?

These prayers may provide insight...
It seems to me that sometimes God wants us to ask for specific things through prayer. Besides what good would it be for me to pray something non-specific like the Lord's Prayer or the Rosary or whatever when I have a specific concern on my mind? God surely knows that I am concerned about some loved-one's health (for example), so why not be honest about that in prayer? Why not admit that I would like God to supernaturally help that loved-one if possible? On the other hand, if the supernatural help is actually contingent upon my prayer then that would be a scary thought. I often do not care enough to pray about most things. Should others not receive help simply because I neglect to pray for them? And if the help happens regardless then what is the purpose of my prayer?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Maybe you need to say it for your own sake so when you get an answer you don't attribute it to coincidence, but to God? So you know he hears you and is mindful of you?
I like that explanation. It seems to me that the person praying learns or improves through prayer, and maybe that is a big part of the purpose.

Upvote 0

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems to me that sometimes God wants us to ask for specific things through prayer. Besides what good would it be for me to pray something non-specific like the Lord's Prayer or the Rosary or whatever when I have a specific concern on my mind? God surely knows that I am concerned about some loved-one's health (for example), so why not be honest about that in prayer? Why not admit that I would like God to supernaturally help that loved-one if possible? On the other hand, if the supernatural help is actually contingent upon my prayer then that would be a scary thought. I often do not care enough to pray about most things. Should others not receive help simply because I neglect to pray for them? And if the help happens regardless then what is the purpose of my prayer?

Good points.

I have prayed these prayers and others throughout my life. I have found the Lords Prayer and Psalm 23 invaluable.

I guess you need to find the prayers suited to your situation and trust in the Lord?

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Pointless Prayer or Gracious God?
Why Pray for Someone in Need?
I thought these could be helpful.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I found this article about the Lords Prayer.
It may help. It outlines there is more to the prayer than you may appreciate?

BBC - Religions - Christianity: The Lord's Prayer.

• Informative
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟731,565.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others

Why not just say "Thank You!" and let it go like that. The essence of Prayer is Gratitude. And I think all a person needs to do is to give Thanks.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Prayer doesn't make much sense to me.
As you mentioned, if god is omniscient, then he already knows what you want.
But worse than that, what if you ask god for a result that wasn't in his plan? Then you're essentially asking god to change his plan. You didn't trust god which is a lack of faith. And a lack of faith is a sin. So by praying for anything that you weren't already going to get, you're endangering your soul.

Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So by praying for anything that you weren't already going to get, you're endangering your soul.

Why? Does a human child who asks their father for something that he doesn't want them to have risk loss of their human fathers love? I think God comes from a loving place and is more interested in instruction than punishment.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,744.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

everything i have preyed for i have received ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But worse than that, what if you ask god for a result that wasn't in his plan? Then you're essentially asking god to change his plan. You didn't trust god which is a lack of faith.

I've asked God recently for something I believe wasn't in his plan. It wasn't lack of faith, it was inability to let go of a loved one. So now, instead of a sudden good-bye, I may be in for the long good-bye (a reference to Nancy Reagan's book), which I didn't foresee.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But worse than that, what if you ask god for a result that wasn't in his plan? Then you're essentially asking god to change his plan. You didn't trust god which is a lack of faith. And a lack of faith is a sin. So by praying for anything that you weren't already going to get, you're endangering your soul.
By Christian belief the Bible tells us that the Holy Spirit intercedes on our behalf when we pray incorrectly. So basically every prayer we say.

Romans 8:26-27 KJV
(26) Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
(27) And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Also God is omniscient as you said and He told us to pray. Last thing I'll add on this point is something I read in a Catholic article. It's a sort of play on pascal's wager:

"And in the end, everybody dies, and no corpse ever regretted praying to a nonexistent God."

If God doesn't exist and/or doesn't answer prayer it doesn't matter. You might as well live as though God exists.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟650,688.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

There is the possibilty that our prayers are answered before
they have left our lips.

It is not always we see at once some can take years.

Like someone came to the Rebbe and said,
"My world is falling to pieces, help me."

The Rebbe replied,

"Don,t be too sure, could be the pieces are falling into place.

But as Dlamberth suggested it is mostly out of thankfulness
for His goodness and kindness.

As David says,
"Can the dead praise You from the grave?"

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
A possible solution that allows for humans to have freewill and for God to answer our prayers is for nothing in this life to matter. Let's say I pray for success and my success will cause somebody else to have failure. God can answer my prayer if nothing in this life actually matters. Maybe we don't see what truly matters.

Here is a quote I like from the Bhagavad Gita:
Weapons cannot shred the soul, nor can fire burn it. Water cannot wet it, nor can the wind dry it.
The soul is unbreakable and incombustible; it can neither be dampened nor dried. It is everlasting, in all places, unalterable, immutable, and primordial.
Chapter 2 – Bhagavad Gita, The Song of God – Swami Mukundananda

Upvote 0