Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not the ones who complain about certain things, the ones who want to get rid of all of it.

People whether christian or not, do not want to necessarily do away with schools or education ... they are wanting school vouchers to have the option of sending their kids to a school of their choice including private or charters, rather than being stuck one public school system.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
If I had children of school age, I would be very very concerned with the way that public schools are opening pandora's box. It is scary now days
Nothing is taboo and if it feels good do it?
It seems to me that there is something about that in the bible somewhere about going your own way? Idk

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not the ones who complain about certain things, the ones who want to get rid of all of it.
Do you have a source that says Christians want to get rid of schools and education?

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

I think public schools are garbage, because they are garbage.

When a student graduates from high school, and can't do 9th grade math, they are doing a terrible job.

That however, does not mean I want them to not go to school. I think we should have private schools, and such that parents have a choice on where their kids get educated from.

I don't see many Christians that are 'against education'. More are just against bad education.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That however, does not mean I want them to not go to school. I think we should have private schools, and such that parents have a choice on where their kids get educated from.
There are private schools and parents can choose to send their kids to those schools. What do you mean by your statement?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What sort of advice are you seeking? Are you seeking an argument to use?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My parents pulled me from school and homeschooled me. Due to medical issues though. But seeing what is being taught in schools today I may homeschool my future children. There's no way I want to be called into school and told I can't tell my child there are only two genders and I am "holding them back" and "bubbling them".

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
There are private schools and parents can choose to send their kids to those schools. What do you mean by your statement?

If you take my money, and use it for public garbage education, then I have no choice, because I can't afford a private school, when you tax my money away.

We should have free choice of where our tax money goes. That means vouchers, or an elimination of the public school system. Make all schools, private schools.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you take my money, and use it for public garbage education, then I have no choice, because I can't afford a private school, when you tax my money away.

We should have free choice of where our tax money goes. That means vouchers, or an elimination of the public school system. Make all schools, private schools.
In rural areas there aren't any school choices. There is a public school and that's it. So my last post is incorrect that all parents have a choice.
It's better for society to have all children get an education so we all contribute by taxes to the public system.
What would you say to people who don't have any children in school? They shouldn't have to contribute at all?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How much of your tax dollars are going to the public school system? Is it enough to pay for private school for all your children?
There aren't many people where this would be the case. Only the more wealthy would be able to send their kids to school.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single

Even if my money wasn't taxed for public schools I still couldn't afford private school. Tuitions are way too high. Even with me claiming 0 on my checks I only paid out about $1500 for FICA taxes last year. I don't pay state or city taxes as my state doesn't include them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even if my money wasn't taxed for public schools I still couldn't afford private school. Tuitions are way too high. Even with me claiming 0 on my checks I only paid out about $1500 for FICA taxes last year. I don't pay state or city taxes as my state doesn't include them.
We couldn't have either.

A lot of the funding for public schools comes from property taxes. We are rural, have a low population, few businesses, and our taxes are mainly on agricultural property. Home values are also low. So our school budget is low and our teachers make peanuts, around $38,000.
Less than 50 miles away, their school has a much larger budget and the teachers make around $50-60,000. The property tax base is much larger with more businesses and many multi-million dollar homes.

Reactions: nanookadenord
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I could make the argument that since I chose not to have children, I shouldn't have to pay for *any* child to be educated, public school or otherwise, but I'd personally rather live in a world where everyone has the opportunity for an education. An educated population is a positive for everyone for many reasons.

The way to improve public schools isn't to continue to starve them through lack of funding, but to help fund them and most of all, to GET INVOLVED and stop just dumping kids off at school and expecting a teacher to be 100% responsible for your child's education. It's supposed to be a cooperative, community endeavor between parents, teachers, and school administration.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
In rural areas there aren't any school choices. There is a public school and that's it.
It's better for society to have all children get an education so we all contribute by taxes to the public system.
What would you say to people who don't have any children in school? They shouldn't have to contribute at all?

Yeah pretty much. Why should I pay for your kids?

And the idea that if we did not have a public school, that no schools would exist because they don't now... that's not true. You go look over in Africa, and they have hundreds of small private schools, funded by the poorest of people.

That's how a free market works. If you are in a market that can't afford something expensive, then they offer something cheaper, but still effective. If it wasn't effective, it would go out of business. If it cost too much, it would go out of business.

So if some of the poorest people in the world can do it, we can too.

https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Tree-Personal-Educating-Themselves/dp/1939709121

Some of the religious schools are funded by the church, and thus cost a few thousand a year. More such schools would exist, if people were allowed to keep their own money, instead of it being taxed away.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I honestly don't know who wants to get rid of all education and schooling in the US. You'd have to find them and ask them. Personally, I think such a position is crazy. Education needs reform, but it is very important, we need it.

Upvote 0