What do you remember from the first moon landing?

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was 15, and watched the landing on TV. Even though everyone expected things to go smoothly, I was hit with surprise and wonder when the Eagle actually landed and the onscreen banner flashed "Man on the moon". It was almost unbelievable.

How about you?

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was with mom and dad at Six Flags. You have to wait in those long lines for the rides, so they had installed TV sets on the walls so people could watch. Maybe they thought they'd lose business that day if they didn't. I was about 5, and I don't think I grasped how big a deal it was. It was later in life I'd look in the night sky and go "wow, they actually traveled there and walked on that thing!" Amazing.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was on the phone, long cord to the handset but basically tethered to the kitchen wall, talking to my boyfriend. I did walk over to look at the TV in the den. Some things seemed more important back then, since my view was especially short-sighted back then.

Now when I see the moon my appreciation is more full. When I consider the moon and stars, what is man that You, God, are mindful of him?

Upvote 0

Theophilus2019

Jun 25, 2019
Surrey
✟54,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amazed. There had been a massive build up for years. I felt the space age was finally here and we’d be on Mars by 1980. But I also remember the huge sense of anti-climax that grew in the weeks following, a sort of “so what” feeling. I think I was even more awed by the crackly reading of Genesis chapter 1 from Apollo 8 at Christmas 1968, even though I wasn’t a Christian at the time.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the mid-1950s I was a young teen and an avid science-fiction reader. My father said it was all "crap" and would never happen. Then one day in October 1957 I came home from grade 9, picked up the paper at the front door and saw the headline "USSR launches first earth satellite". My father was in his armchair. I gave him the paper and said "See Dad its happening in front of our eyes!" He was born before there were automobiles, before airplanes and lived to see men walk on the moon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I was travelling to my home on a suburban bus and was hearing it through someone's radio, and just as the landing was happening the bus driver told the guy to turn his radio off. No one had the courage to tell the bus driver that it was the report of the first moon landing. I think the bus driver was a hen pecked husband at home and a little Hitler in charge of his bus!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"What do you remember from the first moon landing?"

I remember being oh so very l i g h t ! because of the low g r a v i t y ......

:)

Then, now,

thinking about another moon "landing", I wonder when it lands ? where are they going to put the moon ?

.... It was almost unbelievable. How about you?
yep....

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
My father was born in 1895. He said "I was born to witness the first automobiles, the first airplanes, not one but two world wars, atomic bombs, jet airplanes and man on the moon."

Now we have whackos denying history that people have actually lived through.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
My father was born in 1895. He said "I was born to witness the first automobiles, the first airplanes, not one but two world wars, atomic bombs, jet airplanes and man on the moon."

Now we have whackos denying history that people have actually lived through.
Or, as politics and corporations and technology breaks families up more and more for the last century,

you see daily everywhere in the USA, in the news, in "churches", in most places,

older people "Golden Eagles 50+" ..... more and more alone, abandoned, neglected, ignored ....

while 'techno' babble increases daily, making former maybe decent human beings less so.....

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My boyfriend and I were at his friend's house. The friend's parents were having a cookout. Afterwards we watched the moon landing on their TV. I wonder why we were there. I don't remember their names and never heard from them again.

Upvote 0