What do you pray? Post some examples for others to learn. God Bless!

Roy Taylor

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.
Apr 15, 2020
Harrisburg
Visit site
✟24,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sometimes you go just go blank when praying. Other times it goes smooth as butter. I think we all could improve our prayer to God. I can say my prayers when I was a young believer is a whole lot different than it is today. I use to pray for God to see my tithe and bless it 20, 60, and a hundred fold. Use to pray God would make me rich, bless me in a new business I started, bring me a wife, etc. Basically I was asking God to bless my flesh. Not that there is anything wrong with that but now days I pray differently. I now pray for the fear of God to lead me to repentance. I pray that He will use me and my life to give Him glory. I pray He would give me more understanding of His Word. I pray He would give me wisdom to understand the parables in the bible. (In case you didn't know, many of the scriptures are parables to people who don't have eyes to see and ears to hear. Because they don't read their entire bible over and over again. They pick and choose or listen to what a pastor tells them instead of learning from the Holy Ghost. But that is a different matter.) I pray that he would write his commandments in my heart so I am able to keep them. Same with the sayings of Jesus. He said "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." (Let's not start a debate on the law here. Love is to do what God ask you to do. Because you want to please Him.)

I could go on but let's hear what you are praying for and if you are comfortable Give some examples. You can even post what you pray before a meal, weather it is private or in front of a group. You can post what you are thankful for.

I'm mainly making this post for believers who sometimes struggle in prayer. A reference to look back on and help. There is no wrong answer her.

God Bless.

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes you go just go blank when praying. Other times it goes smooth as butter. I think we all could improve our prayer to God. I can say my prayers when I was a young believer is a whole lot different than it is today. I use to pray for God to see my tithe and bless it 20, 60, and a hundred fold. Use to pray God would make me rich, bless me in a new business I started, bring me a wife, etc. Basically I was asking God to bless my flesh. Not that there is anything wrong with that but now days I pray differently. I now pray for the fear of God to lead me to repentance. I pray that He will use me and my life to give Him glory. I pray He would give me more understanding of His Word. I pray He would give me wisdom to understand the parables in the bible. (In case you didn't know, many of the scriptures are parables to people who don't have eyes to see and ears to hear. Because they don't read their entire bible over and over again. They pick and choose or listen to what a pastor tells them instead of learning from the Holy Ghost. But that is a different matter.) I pray that he would write his commandments in my heart so I am able to keep them. Same with the sayings of Jesus. He said "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." (Let's not start a debate on the law here. Love is to do what God ask you to do. Because you want to please Him.)

I could go on but let's hear what you are praying for and if you are comfortable Give some examples. You can even post what you pray before a meal, weather it is private or in front of a group. You can post what you are thankful for.

I'm mainly making this post for believers who sometimes struggle in prayer. A reference to look back on and help. There is no wrong answer her.

God Bless.
One time I was praying my usual "bless my family" prayer. When I was done, God whispered something along the lines, "Ok, I heard you, but what do you really want?" It was at that moment when I realized God wanted honesty, so I learned that I would only get His will, and that's what I pray for, His will, His reality in my life and everyone else's. If is in His heart I want it in mine.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As an example, here is the (Coptic) Gloria from our hourly prayer book called the Agpeya (from the Coptic word for 'hour', ti-agp). We pray this as part of the prime hour, which is the first hour of prayer to prayed when you first rise from sleep, early in the morning (it's already been six years since I was in a Coptic monastery, but I think they did it at 5 or 6 am, with the sunrise):

Let us praise with the angels, saying, “Glory to God in the highest, peace on earth, and good will toward men.”

We praise You. We bless You. We serve You. We worship You. We confess You. We glorify You. We give thanks to You for Your great glory, O Lord, King of heaven, God the Father, the Almighty; O Lord, the one and Only-Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. O Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father, Who takes away the sin of the world, have mercy on us. You, Who takes away the sin of the world, receive our prayers unto You. Who sits at the right hand of the Father, have mercy on us. You only are the Holy; You only are the Most High, Lord, Jesus Christ, with the Holy Spirit; glory to God the Father. Amen. +

Every day I will bless You, and praise Your holy name forever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

From the night season my soul awakes early unto You, O my God, for Your precepts are a light upon the earth. I was meditating on Your ways, for You have become a helper unto me. In the morning You shall hear my voice. Early I will stand before You, and You shall see me.

+++

This is just an example. Most of the Agpeya consists of Psalms, but there are also Gospel readings, litanies, the Trisagion (Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal...), the recitation of the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed, the 41 Kyrie Eleisons, the Quddus (sorry; don't know a specific English name for this prayer: "Holy, Holy, Holy Lord of Hosts..."), the absolutions, and the concluding prayer for every hour. The concluding prayer is this:

Have mercy on us, O God, and have mercy on us, who, at all times and in every hour, in heaven and on earth, is worshipped and glorified, Christ our God, the good, the long suffering, the abundant in mercy, and the great in compassion, who loves the righteous and has mercy on the sinners of whom I am chief; who does not wish the death of the sinner but rather that he returns and lives, who calls all to salvation for the promise of the blessings to come.

Lord receive from us our prayers in this hour and in every hour. Ease our life and guide us to fulfill Your commandments. Sanctify our spirits. Cleanse our bodies. Conduct our thoughts. Purify our intentions. Heal our diseases. Forgive our sins. Deliver us from every evil grief and distress of heart. Surround us by Your holy angels, that, by their camp, we may be guarded and guided, and attain the unity of faith, and the knowledge of Your imperceptible and infinite glory. For You are blessed forever. Amen.

+++

It might seem like a lot or maybe too formal for some, but for me personally I think it is good to have this focus, and to connect with the ancient Christian heritage of the people who were evangelized by St. Mark in the first century (the Agpeya as we know it comes a bit later out of the monastic movement, which also started in Egypt). To me, there is a lot of wisdom to having a prayer rule like this, where you know what you'll be praying, when, and why (for giving thanks for rising from sleep; for remembering Christ's incarnation, life, preaching, crucifixion, and glorious resurrection, etc.). It helps us orient our lives to the praise of God and remembrance of all good things at every hour. We begin with prayer, end with prayer, and in between continue with prayer. To be in constant communication with God is a great thing. I hope everyone has that in their prayers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Roy, prayer is "conversation" with God, similar to how David conversed with God, and poured out his heart to Him, as he did all throughout the Psalms.

Silence, or a "loss for words" does not "offend" God. He "reads our hearts".

Read lots of Psalms and see why God called David a "man after His own heart", and the "apple of His eye".

God bless you.

(By the way, what is written under your user name is a powerful key regarding pleasing God, and blessing His very heart. May His joy be your strength.)

:)

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God Bless.
Heavenly Father I thank you for this day, I ask you to help me to use it wisely, help me to be kind, loving, gentle blessing compassionate, forgiving, and encouraging, help me to do your will and to be your good and faithful servant, Strengthen me with your Holy Spirit and fill me with your love. In Jesus name. Amen

• Agree
Reactions: Roy Taylor
Upvote 0

Melody Suttles

SingPeace
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2018
Atlanta
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Taking the Lord's Prayer line by line and praying it the way I would normally pray:

(Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be name) - Father, you alone are the Creator of the heavens and earth. You alone are God, you are YAHWEH and Abba, and you alone are holy and good.

(kingdom come, will be done, earth as heaven) - Lord, let your kingdom grow in number as the lost are saved by the spreading of the Word. Let us know the joy of your presence as your servants preach the Gospel; heal the sick; raise the dead; give comfort and meet many needs. Please keep the enemy from getting a foothold in the body of Christ.

(give us our daily bread) - Lord, thank you that we have every need met, and even for the trials Paul endured as an example to us. That we are to be satisfied with nothing or with plenty. Help us to be grateful for everything we have... and to not worry about tomorrow.

(forgive us as we forgive others) - Lord, we are unworthy of your love and sacrifice. We thank you for becoming sin for us so that we can be free and given eternal life. Help us to not hold a grudge or unforgiveness even if others have done us wrong. Help us to be more like You and see people through your eyes.

(lead us not to temptation but deliver from evil) - Lord, help us not to fall back into our old temptations. Deliver us from our own weaknesses and keep us from being deceived.

(thine is kingdom, power, glory forever) - There is no God beside you. You spoke all things into existence, Lord, and you loved us before we knew you. All power and glory is yours Lord. Thank you for saving grace. Let us boldly proclaim the Good News to the world. In Jesus' name, amen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The Jesus Prayer
"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

The Gloria Patri
"Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. World without end. Amen."

I also pray the Apostles' Creed, the Lord's Prayer, and spontaneous prayer.

Sometimes when I don't know what to pray at all, I simply make the sign of the cross, trusting in St. Paul's words in Romans 8 that the Spirit Himself intercedes with "groanings too deep for words".

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Roy Taylor
Upvote 0

Roy Taylor

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.
Apr 15, 2020
Harrisburg
Visit site
✟24,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
A lot of good responses. Thank you everyone. Keep them coming I would love to hear from everyone.

Thankfulness. I think I saw that mentioned. We have a lot to thank God for. I thank you Almighty Lord food everyday, for endless supply of clean water to drink and bathe in, to live in a heated house in the winter and air conditioning in the summer, that I can see, that I can hear, that I can walk, that I am in good health, that my family is in good health, that my neighborhood is safe, that I live in a free country, that we have all have bibles, for freedom of religion in our country, for the clean air we breath, that I am not in pain, for your grace, for your mercy, for your strength, for your healing, for your life and death and resurrection on the cross...

I could go on and on. There is more to be thankful to God for than I can possibly post here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums