What do you love about your local church?

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The first thing I love about our local church is the welcome. Coming up the road to the carparks there are stewards welcoming and directing people as to where to park. Going into church there is a welcome party. Two at the door ,an information desk,more welcomes as people go into the main hall. Activities for the children of all ages. A crèche for the baby's with their mothers or fathers or carers. A welcome lounge where people can have a coffee or tea and a chat and ask questions. Caring pastors and leaders and refreshments in the connect time where people can meet others after the first gathering and before the second gathering Prayer and support where it is needed

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The first thing I love about our local church is the welcome. Coming up the road to the carparks there are stewards welcoming and directing people as to where to park. Going into church there is a welcome party. Two at the door ,an information desk,more welcomes as people go into the main hall. Activities for the children of all ages. A crèche for the baby's with their mothers or fathers or carers. A welcome lounge where people can have a coffee or tea and a chat and ask questions. Caring pastors and leaders and refreshments in the connect time where people can meet others after the first gathering and before the second gathering Prayer and support where it is needed
How wonderful! We have trouble with the car as there is a car park, but invariably full on Sunday mornings. Last time we went in the car we got stuck, no spaces and there was so little room to get out again, panic. My husband won't take the car again.
I would like to be able to go to Church every Sunday, I always have in the past until my lung problem. They seem a nice crowd and always having fun together. We are very much on the outside looking in, and it is difficult to attend groups, not always feeling well. I did for a while but had to leave and now it is as if I have never been. I pray for a friend from Church which would be good.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
How wonderful! We have trouble with the car as there is a car park, but invariably full on Sunday mornings. Last time we went in the car we got stuck, no spaces and there was so little room to get out again, panic. My husband won't take the car again.
I would like to be able to go to Church every Sunday, I always have in the past until my lung problem. They seem a nice crowd and always having fun together. We are very much on the outside looking in, and it is difficult to attend groups, not always feeling well. I did for a while but had to leave and now it is as if I have never been. I pray for a friend from Church which would be good.
We sometimes find it challenging to find a car space. Fortunately our church has been given permission to use a pub carpark at the bottom of the road,so we usually squeeze in somewhere. Praying for you with the lung problem.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
We sometimes find it challenging to find a car space. Fortunately our church has been given permission to use a pub carpark at the bottom of the road,so we usually squeeze in somewhere. Praying for you with the lung problem.
Thank you for your prayers,

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Here's my top five favourite things about my local church.
1) It's truly local in that I can walk to it! It's a very beautiful old building dating a good few hundred years.
2) There are four services on a Sunday ranging from the traditional Book of Common Prayer Communion Service through to more informal evening service using modern songs and the worship band.
3) It's a place where liberals, conservatives and moderates join together in worship and accept each other's differences. When all said and done, we're all there for the same reason and that is to worship God and serve one another.
4) You are made to feel welcome every time you walk through the door. People come up and chat with you. No-one is excluded. People offer to pray with you.
5) People are encouraged to take part. This evening, i was asked to do the Bible reading.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Here's my top five favourite things about my local church.
1) It's truly local in that I can walk to it! It's a very beautiful old building dating a good few hundred years.
2) There are four services on a Sunday ranging from the traditional Book of Common Prayer Communion Service through to more informal evening service using modern songs and the worship band.
3) It's a place where liberals, conservatives and moderates join together in worship and accept each other's differences. When all said and done, we're all there for the same reason and that is to worship God and serve one another.
4) You are made to feel welcome every time you walk through the door. People come up and chat with you. No-one is excluded. People offer to pray with you.
5) People are encouraged to take part. This evening, i was asked to do the Bible reading.
Sounds like a welcoming place! So good to meet with the church family!

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Every age group is catered for at our church. Our baby granddaughter sits with us in the morning gathering,but there is a creche,upstairs,overlooking the service,with speaker relay. Parents and babies can play together with interesting toys!

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Our church has Life groups all over the city in people's homes. These groups meet on Thursday nights to pray and share and care. There is also a daytime Life group that meets at the Church Annexe on Tuesdays.
I assume these are similar (or the same) as housegroups/homegroups? I've always found that these are such a valuable part of church life, as they help people get to know each other better and support each other in prayer etc. It also gives chance for people to study Bible materials and to have discussions/share ideas and thoughts.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have seen people walk into churches who are in desperate need through homelessness, addictions and mental health problems. In our church, we have tables near the entrance of the church where people can come in, sit and drink coffee and chat to people. It is always encouraging when I see Christians welcoming them, treating them with dignity and respect, making them feel valued, listening to their story, offering practical advice where possible. Some years back I remember a homeless man who came into the church. Through a local charity we managed to get him temporary accommodation so he could sort out important issues in his life. A few months later, I met him again in a supermarket. He looked in very good health. He told me how much his life had changed for the better, that he had a new home, a new job and was very grateful for the support he got from the church. I will never know the reason he chose to come to church that day. Perhaps he came because he hoped that God would help him. I do know that through acts of Christian kindness and support, a seed was planted in him that day. Perhaps in time his faith might grow and He may be inspired to draw nearer to God.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I assume these are similar (or the same) as housegroups/homegroups? I've always found that these are such a valuable part of church life, as they help people get to know each other better and support each other in prayer etc. It also gives chance for people to study Bible materials and to have discussions/share ideas and thoughts.
Lovely to read your comments. Housegroups are a great way of fellowship!

Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Toddlers have their own group during the teaching on Sunday morning. Juniors are catered for. There are youth activities and children's activities during the week. Young people and all ages enjoy the Sunday gatherings. C.R.A.S.H! Children really are special here!

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There’s a lot I love about my church but probably one of the things I love the most is every Sunday after the sermon we all sit together and eat and have fellowship together. I think this is a great idea because it gives everyone a chance to meet everyone and is a great opportunity to give a warm welcome to newcomers. We have four groups who volunteer to bring food once a month. Each group has an assigned week and they bring whatever they choose. So it’s not to much of a burden on the volunteers. I would encourage other churches to try doing this if they have the means. It really does bring the congregation closer together. :)

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
One of the most helpful things we have at our service is someone who does sign language for the deaf and hard of hearing. They are there every Sunday during the mid morning service. There are different sized leaflets for the order of service for people who have difficulties with their sight. We have some tables at the back of the church for people who come in, either early or late, who want to sit and have coffee.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There’s a lot I love about my church but probably one of the things I love the most is every Sunday after the sermon we all sit together and eat and have fellowship together. I think this is a great idea because it gives everyone a chance to meet everyone and is a great opportunity to give a warm welcome to newcomers. We have four groups who volunteer to bring food once a month. Each group has an assigned week and they bring whatever they choose. So it’s not to much of a burden on the volunteers. I would encourage other churches to try doing this if they have the means. It really does bring the congregation closer together. :)
Thanks BR. Eating together. Yes I like that! Thankyou!

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
One of the most helpful things we have at our service is someone who does sign language for the deaf and hard of hearing. They are there every Sunday during the mid morning service. There are different sized leaflets for the order of service for people who have difficulties with their sight. We have some tables at the back of the church for people who come in, either early or late, who want to sit and have coffee.
All of these things make such a difference to our visitors!

• Agree
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I love the leaders of our church. They do not lord it over the people,but are humble servants of Christ ministering to the flock. They each,minister with the gifts that God has blessed them with and help build up the church under Christ who said,'I will build My Church'

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Years ago, I was invited to tea with the bishop. He was absolutely crackers, but a very humble, gentle fellow.

I agree that the greatest leaders are the ones that show the most humility and are always willing to work alongside others.

• Agree
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Years ago, I was invited to tea with the bishop. He was absolutely crackers, but a very humble, gentle fellow.

I agree that the greatest leaders are the ones that show the most humility and are always willing to work alongside others.
Thankyou Anthony,that is such a good point. Jesus ministered so humbly to His disciples and followers and whether He was talking to a woman at the well or a religious leader like Nicodemas or giving the Sermon on the Mount He set an example of humility to all who follow Him!

• Agree
Upvote 0