What do you like to see in Christian fantasy / sci-fi ?

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The reason for my main question is I was wondering what Christians actually WANT to read. Most of us probably see "Christian fiction" and think, meh. Yet we're happy to read C.S. Lewis which is quite obviously Christian, IMO.
Lewis really is a step above.

I agree that Christian fiction is blech. I think Christian authors are AFRAID to use their imaginations -- it's because fundamentalism equates imagined with lies.

I'm waiting for the next JRR Tolkien to come along. I'm waiting... and waiting...

I'd like to see a Christian author deal with the possibility of life on other planets making contact with us, and what their impact on Christianity might be. Or the advent of sentient AI. Or what might happen to our theology if chimpanzees develop a conscience.

Instead, it's like Christian authors are AFRAID of these topics. So... I end up reading non-Christian authors, or watching their TV shows. I got hooked on Westworld because of its delving into the nature of sentience. And I'm jealous. Why can't Christians be part of that discussion?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,580.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Lewis really is a step above.

I agree that Christian fiction is blech. I think Christian authors are AFRAID to use their imaginations -- it's because fundamentalism equates imagined with lies.

I'm waiting for the next JRR Tolkien to come along. I'm waiting... and waiting...

I'd like to see a Christian author deal with the possibility of life on other planets making contact with us, and what their impact on Christianity might be. Or the advent of sentient AI. Or what might happen to our theology if chimpanzees develop a conscience.

Instead, it's like Christian authors are AFRAID of these topics. So... I end up reading non-Christian authors, or watching their TV shows. I got hooked on Westworld because of its delving into the nature of sentience. And I'm jealous. Why can't Christians be part of that discussion?

Because their fellow Christians will crucify them!

Upvote 0

DarthNeo

Oct 7, 2016
Tampa, FL
✟20,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I want to write a Christian based comic book story, make it realistic as possible, but I cannot seem to come up with a reason as to why God would endow someone with POWERS, I keep coming back to the fact that people would probably worship the hero which would take glory from God...

Should I dismiss REALITY a bit in this endeavor...?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,580.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I want to write a Christian based comic book story, make it realistic as possible, but I cannot seem to come up with a reason as to why God would endow someone with POWERS, I keep coming back to the fact that people would probably worship the hero which would take glory from God...

Should I dismiss REALITY a bit in this endeavor...?

Why not take a page from non-Christian fantasy writers? How about a hero like Miles Vorkosigan who has a very inferior body and succeeds by being clever and persistent. Oh and honorable, very honorable so that any who work with him are loyal, very loyal. (note for an explicitly Christian work temptation can sure come in eventually).

Of Butcher's Fury series where the hero lacks the magical power others have so he actually thinks instead and makes the most of the little he has.

Or nothing much at all, except from time to time knowing there is somewhere he must go or something he must do. An idea that needs some skill to pull off as it needs to seem more a curse than a blessing in many ways. Most writers would ruin it by overplaying it and using it as a deus ex machina. No the hero needs to not get bailed out (or not much) and perhaps experience personal growth through his tasks.

• Informative
Reactions: DarthNeo
Upvote 0

DarthNeo

Oct 7, 2016
Tampa, FL
✟20,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why not take a page from non-Christian fantasy writers? How about a hero like Miles Vorkosigan who has a very inferior body and succeeds by being clever and persistent. Oh and honorable, very honorable so that any who work with him are loyal, very loyal. (note for an explicitly Christian work temptation can sure come in eventually).

Of Butcher's Fury series where the hero lacks the magical power others have so he actually thinks instead and makes the most of the little he has.

Or nothing much at all, except from time to time knowing there is somewhere he must go or something he must do. An idea that needs some skill to pull off as it needs to seem more a curse than a blessing in many ways. Most writers would ruin it by overplaying it and using it as a deus ex machina. No the hero needs to not get bailed out (or not much) and perhaps experience personal growth through his tasks.

Great response, I like how you are thinking...seriously, helps me a great deal, thanks again!

Upvote 0

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
I'm a writer and have recently been exploring what's happening in the Christian sci-fi and fantasy scene. Enclave Publishing seems to be leading the space (or am I wrong)? I've gotten a few of their free books on my Kindle, but a lot of it seems to be aimed toward the YA market. I know that's a big market, so I can't blame them, but I'm wondering - is this it?

The reason for my main question is I was wondering what Christians actually WANT to read. Most of us probably see "Christian fiction" and think, meh. Yet we're happy to read C.S. Lewis which is quite obviously Christian, IMO. I'm wondering if that's because he's just famous, or if whatever else is out there is just not good enough. What would it take to actually make Christians give Christian fiction a chance? I'm obviously asking because I'm a writer and would love to be able to write the kind of novels ole Lewis did.

In my own fantasy novels I've tried to be a little more discreet than Lewis, but I worry that I just then appeal to no one. In my next book I'm thinking of being a little less discreet, but I'm not sure how to go about it. (P.S. - am I allowed to post a link here to my novels?).
I prefer the subtler stuff. Those who can illustrate the concepts behind the foundational teachings.

Or if one wants to use events, to use them in a way that is unconventional, something to make one think about for awhile.

Ive enjoyed the occasional religious interaction that has popped up in the man kzin wars stories... Especially how the main alien species tend to respond to a very general judeo-christian theology.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,580.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It says some pretty horrible things about Christians. Taliban for Jesus.

Yes it does. And to make specific a very old saying. All that is needed for toxic Christianity to triumph is for decent Christians to remain silent.

Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Sorry but this is one thing I disagree with. Keep religion AWAY from this stuff. It does not belong in Sci Fi or fantasy.
It depends on what you mean. I can't stand hokey books like "Left Behind" where the author uses little imagination, but simply spits out a story designed to preach his views of the end times, for example.

But on the other hand, I rather like CS Lewis' Space Trilogy. I'm an outright maniac for Tolkien's LOTR, which has "pre-Abrahamic" religion. And I like stories like the Babylon 5 series, where Earth religions have survived, and Alien races also have their own religions.

What seems oddly non-functional to me, is fantasy/sci fi where there is no religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,580.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It depends on what you mean. I can't stand hokey books like "Left Behind" where the author uses little imagination, but simply spits out a story designed to preach his views of the end times, for example.

But on the other hand, I rather like CS Lewis' Space Trilogy. I'm an outright maniac for Tolkien's LOTR, which has "pre-Abrahamic" religion. And I like stories like the Babylon 5 series, where Earth religions have survived, and Alien races also have their own religions.

What seems oddly non-functional to me, is fantasy/sci fi where there is no religion.

I honestly can't think of much Science Fiction or Fantasy where religion is actively absent. But often it simply does not come up. The story does not depend on the religion of the characters and especially in the written form if can be best to omit anything that could prevent identification with a character.

I'll also speculate that it is Christians and others of faith that drive religion out of not just Science Fiction and Fantasy but literature and film in general. Too many will complain that the portrayal is wrong or once there is insufficient (not you unless I've lost all ability to read between the lines). Most of the time religion plays little to no direct part in a story. Oh it may shape a character but so do other things and we rarely see the entire life story of a character.

Reactions: MissRowy
Upvote 0