What do you guys think of Putin's moves this week?

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There have been a few reports that the US is involved in the stirring up trouble in Ukraine because it wants to destabilize Russia.

Usually these "reports" are from Russian-state owned media. One of the big weaknesses of Russia, a complete lack of free media :p

The World Committee to Protect Journalists said:
Russia is a more dangerous place now than it was during the Cold War. Only Iraq and Algeria outrank it on the list of most life-threatening countries for the press.

http://cpj.org/reports/CPJ.Anatomy of Injustice.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2008
✟14,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I just spent an half hour typing a reply to Gurney and disappeared into cyber space.
Anyway, the link to zero hedge that Buzuxi posted only confirmed what I have been thinking. It's a good article.

I don't believe that anyone thinks that Putin is a good guy. He's a politician, a state leader. Are there any good guys?

However, I try to think critically. I have not seen any real proof that Putin is guilty of most of the things that are being alleged. In fact, I see more of Poroshenko's, "I'm going to crush the bandits". Okay, maybe that's what they do in a civil war. But I see too many civilians being killed and people having to flee their homes and take refuge in Russia. We know how Poroshenko came to power.

From the get go with Ukraine, we have placed more and more sanctions on Russia. Sanctions are an act of war. It's like they want Russia to bite.

Also, I saw what happened with Syria, Russia, and the US. Everything reported in the media appeared to be the US egging Russia on to act. Putin wouldn't bite. Maybe that's his KGB training. I don't know. Maybe he's that good. He sure made Obama look like a fool.
Russia and Syria. Russia and Iran. Are we looking to engage Russia. I hope not.

Then I look at BRICS. They are starting to make some ground. Especially, this year. You can see the propaganda escalate every time BRICS makes ground. Even though the media poo poos BRICS, BRICS means something.

Do I think Russia wants to take over the world. I don't see that, not yet anyway. There is no evidence for it. I see that more with our government. I think Russia is protecting her interests, they want to grow their economy and they want to be a power on the world stage and we (I shouldn't say we) are not going to let that happen.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I absolutely HATE it when I work hard to type a reply or statement on a message board and then POOF! It's gone. Makes me utterly sick! I think back to five or six years ago when I started posting on boards, I had some mighty long posts that got ushered away into cyber purgatory....sucks!

Quite frankly, I see zero evidence that the United States is trying to "egg on" Russia into war. Ukraine is a country with a divided heart. Most of Ukraine, the Western and Central parts, want to join the EU. The Eastern and some other small regions want to stick with Russia as their principle ally. The Obama Administration wants Ukraine to go EU. And trust me, Obama is NOT a man with a stomach for war or intrigue. He's, quite frankly, quite the coward, and a man of inaction. If you look at his past, he's quite naïve about Russia. His only main beef with the country is the homosexual stances Putin has taken (which I agree with btw!). If you read most articles by intelligent, learned experts who are knowledgeable about war and politics, men like Victor Davis Hanson for example (my former professor in college!!!!), Obama is usually criticized as an over-reluctant Barney Fife Mayberry type without the stomach to make the tough decisions and engage in war. Obama lacks the imagination to destabilize Russia! LOL

And while we're on the topic, I don't see Americans advising or helping the Ukrainians as being anything that would destabilize Russia, just repel her invasion attempts and maneuvering there. That said, I do NOT want American boots, CIA, or any of our guys in Ukraine. That is a situation best left to the U.N. and all of NATO, not just our country!

American-Russian relations have been bizarre for years. Bush one minute is hugging Putin saying, "I trust this guy. I saw into his soul in his eyes" or some nonsense like that and the very same month he's in Europe talking about aiming a missile defense system at Russia. I don't blame Putin for not trusting Bush! But I also don't blame the West for not trusting Putin. We all know darn well that he's arming the rebels. It's a no-brainer. The intel shows it, and if the Russian-armed rebels didn't shoot down the Malaysian Airlines plane, who did? Ukrainians or Chechyns or South Ossetian rebels paramilitary goons undercover? :p

I do find some of these pictures fascinating.

Ukrainian Evidence of Russian Involvement in East - NBC News

I love how they won't even admit their ethnicities when interviewed, these paramilitary masked separatist guys...

Ukraine claims photos prove Russian special forces in eastern Ukraine - CBS News

I just spent an half hour typing a reply to Gurney and disappeared into cyber space.
Anyway, the link to zero hedge that Buzuxi posted only confirmed what I have been thinking. It's a good article.

I don't believe that anyone thinks that Putin is a good guy. He's a politician, a state leader. Are there any good guys?

However, I try to think critically. I have not seen any real proof that Putin is guilty of most of the things that are being alleged. In fact, I see more of Poroshenko's, "I'm going to crush the bandits". Okay, maybe that's what they do in a civil war. But I see too many civilians being killed and people having to flee their homes and take refuge in Russia. We know how Poroshenko came to power.

From the get go with Ukraine, we have placed more and more sanctions on Russia. Sanctions are an act of war. It's like they want Russia to bite.

Also, I saw what happened with Syria, Russia, and the US. Everything reported in the media appeared to be the US egging Russia on to act. Putin wouldn't bite. Maybe that's his KGB training. I don't know. Maybe he's that good. He sure made Obama look like a fool.
Russia and Syria. Russia and Iran. Are we looking to engage Russia. I hope not.

Then I look at BRICS. They are starting to make some ground. Especially, this year. You can see the propaganda escalate every time BRICS makes ground. Even though the media poo poos BRICS, BRICS means something.

Do I think Russia wants to take over the world. I don't see that, not yet anyway. There is no evidence for it. I see that more with our government. I think Russia is protecting her interests, they want to grow their economy and they want to be a power on the world stage and we (I shouldn't say we) are not going to let that happen.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only concern there is that the idea of isolationism back in the pre-WWII era created a wonderful atmosphere for Hitler to steadily "annex" land around him piece by piece building up a massive army, saber-rattling and then following through with his promises as we sat back and watched....and Europe fell into an abyss. I think the West never wants another episode like that. Russia's aggressive moves remind many of that very buildup that resulted in so much death. Putin is brash and could care less about Russian prosperity these days. I think the guy lives to taunt Obama and push the envelope. He wants to be a folk hero and among Russian sympathizers in Ukraine and former Soviet countries who yearn for the 'good ole days,' as well as some TAW posters, it's working! ^_^:p:p

I hope that we stay on our side of the ocean. Granted all of the political options here suck too. I would love a centrist-isolationist-single payer health care party to appear but maybe we can at least become Isolationist again. Let the EU and Russia go at it. Why should we care about them.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2008
✟14,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Whatever anyone's opinion or political leanings, you have to admit that this is one very brave woman for peace. She said the Ukraine people have traded a thief for a murderer. I am posting her video and the transcript. I am also posting an article about the town she lives in and represents in parliament. Ukraine, as all other hot spots, which is the whole world, needs our prayers.

Do Ukrainians Want War? Deputy Dnipropetrovsk city council Victoria Shilova says – NO! – ENG SUBS - YouTube

Viktoria Shilova, Member of the Dnipropetrovsk City Council, demands Poroshenko govt to stop civil war. Leaks actual number of war casualties. | The PROFESSORS' BLOG – Science, Culture & Human Rights For All

Ukrainian city stays quiet amid war - The Washington Post

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are tons of counter news articles that say the opposite. I trust (well, I have to really verify and research even on these) alternative sources more than the corporately-owned media that only reports what it wants us to think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This whole thing makes me less sure about Orthodoxy being ok with war.

we're not okay with war. killing of people is evil, but we live in a fallen world, and in a fallen world you need soldiers and cops to protect the innocent. nowhere did Christ condemn any soldier who came to Him for being a soldier.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Just the talking points released by today's NATO summit should be enough to realize this creature needs to be slain. They want to defeat the islamic terrorists with approval of going into Syria, even though they created the monster. Nato created an Islamic States in europe with Kosovo they support their other islamic state in europe known as Bosnia. They want to expand nato deep into Asia by offering Georgia membership,. NATO had declared war on Orthodox Christianity. They want to erode the brotherhood between traditionalOrthodox nations.

Hey NATO members, why do you need such a large military operation which bombs small nations when tiny countries like Myanmar and Nepal know how to deal with islamic extremism quite effectively?

The west needs to hire some buddhist monks to advise them in how to deal with them. While these tiny nations ats keeping their enemies in check, the cowards of europe seek to retain their bloated military alliance that has created more problems than if has ever solved.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0
S

SeventhValley

Just the talking points released by today's NATO summit should be enough to realize this creature needs to be slain. They want to defeat the islamic terrorists with approval of going into Syria, even though they created the monster. Nato created an Islamic States in europe with Kosovo they support their other islamic state in europe known as Bosnia. They want to expand nato deep into Asia by offering Georgia membership,. NATO had declared war on Orthodox Christianity. They want to erode the brotherhood between traditionalOrthodox nations.

Hey NATO members, why do you need such a large military operation which bombs small nations when tiny countries like Myanmar and Nepal know how to deal with islamic extremism quite effectively?

The west needs to hire some buddhist monks to advise them in how to deal with them. While these tiny nations ats keeping their enemies in check, the cowards of europe seek to retain their bloated military alliance that has created more problems than if has ever solved.

Lets contrast this with Christianity..

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, don’t resist him who is evil; but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 If anyone sues you to take away your coat, let him have your cloak also. 41 Whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. 42 Give to him who asks you, and don’t turn away him who desires to borrow from you. 43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor, and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Don’t even the tax collectors do the same? 47 If you only greet your friends, what more do you do than others? Don’t even the tax collectors do the same? 48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lets contrast this with Christianity..

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, don’t resist him who is evil; but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 If anyone sues you to take away your coat, let him have your cloak also. 41 Whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. 42 Give to him who asks you, and don’t turn away him who desires to borrow from you. 43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor, and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Don’t even the tax collectors do the same? 47 If you only greet your friends, what more do you do than others? Don’t even the tax collectors do the same? 48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

that does not contradict the use of armies, because soldiers are called to do this too even during wartime. St John the Baptist is very clear to soldiers about practical ways they can be pious, and neither he nor Christ ever say to NOT be soldiers or police.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Then killing would not be a barrier to priesthood. In Islam holy war is good. In Judaism it is good. In Christianity it us a sinful last resort because it is the easy way out. Few are holy enough to be martyrs.

yes, but then you have guys like Sts Alexander Nevsky and David the Restorer who went to war to defend their Orthodox homeland from non Orthodox invaders.

Upvote 0